Automotive stubborness

I strangely like Hondas - go figure?
I have taken against Toyota recently - but their dealers are great.
I have taken against VW dealers who are the spawn of Satan and should all be sent to Guantamo now! Most of the cars are OK though.
SEATS are horrid - I know they are just VWs - can't explain.
Skodas are nice and the dealers are too. :lol:
Older men in trilby hats, smoking pipes, driving Rovers; particularly with wildly gesticulating women in the front passenger seat and who are in flowered hats are the pits or evil personified.
Prius/G whizz drivers and hateful berks.
Older Merrcs are brilliant - newer ones are crap and new ones are getting better - dealers are sh1t.
Eastern European Lorrys are leathal, and are just accidents waiting to happen.
Road salt buggers up the underside of your motor unless immediately washed off.
The mother-in-law is the least welcome sight in your car.
I welcome the Korean/Pacific rim option of cheap cars for the masses - never buy one myself.
I like Opel/Vauxhall motors but prefer Fords and Mazdas.
Being stopped by the police will enevitably involve anti-terrorist legislation, that has never, ever, actually been used to fight terrorism in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
- Spectre is now officially declared boring based on his statements in this thread :p
- A black Jaguar XJR with black wheels and tinted windows is THE coolest car ever to have existed. Closely followed by 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible. Everything else is boring and lame.
- Supercharging is the only proper way of forced induction, turbos are for retarded people.
- There still is no replacement for displacement
- V8 is the best engine configuration in existense.
- Porsche is the only proper sportscarmaker, Lambos and Fezzas are geeky gofastcomputers
- Americans are the only ones who can build a proper muscle cars. Everyone elses attempts are silly and boring. Especially Ze Germans.
- W124 500E "Super Saloon" is the best car Mercedes Benz has ever built.
- W124 500E is the best car Germany has ever built.

Last edited:
When turbos are slapped onto a tiny little V6 or a four-pot, with no boost limit, they beat any other kind of normal or forced induction.

The minimum of an engine's redline must be above 12k rpm.

3.5 l V12 engines revving at 16000rpm have the most godlike engine sound in existence.

The only proper way for an engine to die is chucking its pistons out in a major fireball of burning oil and quickly evaporating water, with a massive cloud of white smoke blowing out of the engine itself.

- Seat heating is for pussies, I fondly call it "egg cosy"
- Auto transmission is for pussies
- If you have less equipment there's less to go wrong
- French cars are baaaaaaad (well, we had a Renault 4 when I was a kid and I had a Peugeot 207 as replacement vehicle for two weeks, those two were absolutely horrific so it's kind of based on experience)
- Satnav is for pussies, except you have to go deep into an unknown hillbillie one-horse town, everything else can be found by glancing shortly at a map before leaving and memorize the route

Handling helps avoid accidents and keep you alive.
Indeed, there have been a few times where sharp handling has saved me from an accident that could have happened. I consider handling a top safety priority, it just happens to have some fun application too. Total confidence in your car's abilities should always be a reason they bought the car, you can't exactly be that comfortable if your thinking "I hope I don't have make a quick turn or I won't make it".

Hey, I thought this is where I could just spout my most retarded, generalized automotive opinions. You guys are killing me :lol:.

Pre-runners are RWD.
I've seen some, along with CORR trucks, that are 4WD.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the laughter of the Nissan engineers.

If you persist, I have some Land Rover engineers that would also like to laugh at you. :D
Bah! I stand by my opinion! Ha, no IFS does serve a purpose in offroading. Otherwise we wouldn't have bombers like that little hardbody. Someday I would like to own a little Toyota or Ranger with a nice long travel suspension so I can drive scary fast overland.

Also, you forgot the handicapped; my friend is a Vietnam vet and his left leg and hip don't work as well as they did before his Cobra got shot down. Driving a manual on a regular basis is an exercise in sheer pain for him.
Maybe I should amend that to "All those who are able, and buying a car that can be optioned such, should only drive stick." :p

I'm not going to say I can empathize with your friend, but I know a little about having trouble driving. I tore up a knee and ankle pretty good doing various stupid things as a teenager and kept myself from driving much until I was almost 18. Automatics are a necessary evil.

What, that old redesigned Buick engine? ;)

Indeed, there have been a few times where sharp handling has saved me from an accident that could have happened. I consider handling a top safety priority, it just happens to have some fun application too. Total confidence in your car's abilities should always be a reason they bought the car, you can't exactly be that comfortable if your thinking "I hope I don't have make a quick turn or I won't make it".
Its more on driving skill than car's abilities most of the time. I have almost never been in a situation that I couldn't handle in the old Buick that drove and handled like a boat after a mine. Just had to keep in mind the limitations of the car and my own reaction times and skills to have a safety margin.

For truly surprising events most of the time you won't be able to react quickly enough for the car to make a difference (happened to me).
Move to a nordic country and say that again. And no, Germany isnt particularly nordic.
I would have to say it helps but is far from a requirenment. I tested mine in Rochester, NY (pretty nordic :) ) and it was nice. One thing that they are absolutely awesome for no matter how nordic the country is (as long as you get below 0 it will hold true) is the ability to have your jacket off when you get into a car that hasn't warmed up yet. The seat warms up much faster than air heater and keeps you warm enough until the heat can kick in.

Last edited:
Hey, I thought this is where I could just spout my most retarded, generalized automotive opinions. You guys are killing me :lol:.

I've seen some, along with CORR trucks, that are 4WD.

Bah! I stand by my opinion! Ha, no IFS does serve a purpose in offroading. Otherwise we wouldn't have bombers like that little hardbody. Someday I would like to own a little Toyota or Ranger with a nice long travel suspension so I can drive scary fast overland.

Maybe I should amend that to "All those who are able, and buying a car that can be optioned such, should only drive stick." :p

I'm not going to say I can empathize with your friend, but I know a little about having trouble driving. I tore up a knee and ankle pretty good doing various stupid things as a teenager and kept myself from driving much until I was almost 18. Automatics are a necessary evil.

I thought the old AJ-V8s have nothing to do with any Buick design. I thought it was Land Rover who used an enlarged version of the Buick V8 for their SUVs.

Retards on Harleys are not bikers. They're obstacles.

Yes, even to us bikers.

You know why they have to ride so slow, right?

And they ride with their legs open...... what a great way embrace potential accidents on the road :rolleyes:

Harley riders have to ride so slow because they're riding old dinosaurs that are scary to ride to begin with. Look at the choppers with NO rear suspension, i.e., the rear wheel is bolted to a rigid frame. Ride over a penny in the road and the rear wheel bounces 6" off the ground if you're going any speed whatsoever.

I dont think some of my opinions will go down well here... I'm almost an 80 year old man when it comes to my thoughts on cars.

- 99% of the time, you don't need a car with more than 175 bhp. Any car with more than 250 bhp is silly and wasteful. The vast majority of the time, people either sit in traffic or toodle along at 70 mph, you don't need 300 bhp to do either.

- Comfort, quality and a good stereo are much more important in a car than good handling for most people. This is as it should be.

- Luxury cars are the biggest waste of money this side of owning a boat. Even if you can afford it, spending lots of money on a car is dumb.
- A car is a tool and should be seen as such, without emotional attachment. It makes more sense to spend money on good clothes than on a fancy car. So, why do I watch and love Top Gear? Because it's entertaining.

Why are you here?

Toyota Camrys are nice.

Overhead cams eclipse automatic transmissions and diesals as the true work of satan, any car that has one is worthless and belongs in a scrap heap.

Well, we *knew* you were a moron already, thanks for confirming it. :rofl: Tell me again how much fun it is to swap out the cam in your pushrod engine? (It's a 10 minute job on the Jags. :lol: :banana:)

- 95% of all trucks in USA are bought by people who think they need the capacity - read: stupid people. But they don't really need it - they should buy a normal saloon or hatchback instead.

95% of all cars in Europe are bought by people who think they need the capacity - read: stupid people. But they don't really need it - they should buy a normal scooter or motorcycle instead.

^

age has nothing to do with passion for cars.

Agreed. My retired friend has an MG TC sitting in his garage. He's out there every evening either driving it or further restoring it.

Cars should remain in stock form, if it ain't got it, it don't need it. (ok a new set of wheels maybe the exepction).

So much wrong with this, I don't know where to start.....

- Spectre is now officially declared boring based on his statements in this thread :p
- A black Jaguar XJR with black wheels and tinted windows is THE coolest car ever to have existed. Closely followed by 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible. Everything else is boring and lame.

So, first you call me boring, then you say I have the coolest car ever. :p

Camry? Hell, he doesn't even deserve a Corolla.

I know what he deserves. An Echo.

Superchargers are for pussies who can't handle a turbo :p

Superchargers are for people that can't find room to install a turbo. Or don't have the oiling system to support one. :D

Here's the OP's comment:

I know each and everyone here has got these irrational and totally stupid stubborness and principles about car related stuff, for example I refuse to except anything Korean/Malaysin as "cars" and also will never ever buy an Opel, no matter how good they might theoretically be.

I thought it might be fun to share these and laugh at each other :mrgreen:

This is the "laugh at each other" part. :D

Right idea, wrong engine. The AJ-V8 is a clean-sheet design, it's the Rover V8 (never used in a Jag) that's the old Buick lump.

Of course, the Rover V8 does stick with that rule as it likes to drop cylinder liners. Which destroys the engine.

I thought the old AJ-V8s have nothing to do with any Buick design. I thought it was Land Rover who used an enlarged version of the Buick V8 for their SUVs.

Yup, you got it.

For truly surprising events most of the time you won't be able to react quickly enough for the car to make a difference (happened to me).in.

Been there, done that, came to a totally different conclusion. Handling and brakes are more important than comfort.

Last edited:
I have one. Boring japanese sedans are not cars they are appliances. I was informed today that the new camry has 260 hp, but you know what? I'd rather walk. I'm much happier with my car that has personality, even if that personality has PMS all the time. You don't need 260 hp in a vert anyway. The wind is bad enough at 80 D:

- Death to Korean cars.
- Every car needs at least 200hp.
- Carburettors are just as good as fuel injection when tuned properly.
- Death to boring toyotas.
- Every V8 NEEDS an aftermarket exhaust.
- Autos ARE good for something. Drag racing.
- Modified cars are great.
- Muscle cars are the greatest invention in American history.
- Porsches are for cocks.
- Hybrid cars can burn in hell.

- Carburettors are just as good as fuel injection when tuned properly.

Carbs: Except for the whole "have to retune them three or four times a year" thing... and the excessive fuelling on start thing.... and the "hey, initial setup takes hours between testing, changing jets, testing some more, changing jets, etc.".... and the "can't automatically compensate for anything" thing.... and the vapor lock thing.... other than the fact that they suck, they're great! :p :lol:

Let's see...

- BMW 3-series is for young Turks
- Beware of women in a Renault Twingo! (I mean it!)
- French cars are for school teachers
- A luxury SUV usually contains a blonde woman with sunglasses on
- Ferraris are for sons of rich fathers
- Porsches are for show-offs
- People who buy a new Japanese or Korean car, give a damn about cars
- The smaller the car, the more likely it is to see it parked in a wrong way
- Audi drivers are becoming more and more assholes, replacing BMW drivers in the process
- Mercedes drivers think they are something better
- Men drive deliberately reckless for the thrill, women do it just with defiance of death
- Jaguar owners wish they were born as a British feudal lord
- Drivers of big U.S. cars are either pimps or owners of a night club
- Opel drivers come from the lower classes

Last edited: