Survivors ? BBC1 New Drama Series

Heathrow

Yes, as in the airport.
Car(s)
1995 BMW 325i SE
Survivors ? BBC1 Sunday 23rd November at 21:00

New from the BBC, this has a chance of being an interesting and intelligent drama series, but with its post apocalypse storyline, will not to be to everyone?s taste.

The first extended ninety minute episode goes out on Sunday 23rd November at 21:00 on BBC1. (Right after Top Gear.:))

BBC Press Office ? Survivors TV Drama said:
Imagine being the only survivor of a disease that kills every member of your family, that kills lovers, strangers and friends ? in fact, nearly everyone you've ever met. You are among the lonely few to live and now you must start over in a strange new world where everything that was once safe and familiar is now strange and dangerous.

Set in the present day, the drama series focuses on the world in the aftermath of a devastating virus which wipes out most of the world's population. What would we do? How would any of us cope in a brave, new world where all traditional 21st-century comforts ? electricity, clean running water, advanced technology ? have disappeared
?

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/17/Survivors_Cast_BBC_001.bmp

Links

BBC Survivors Site & Trailer

>>> SPOILERS ? Episodes 1&2 Plotlines <<<

>>> SPOILERS ? Episode 3 Plotlines <<<

Survivors Wordpress Blog for more details

This is worth checking this out as being something different from the BBC, since it is not about Cops, Hospitals, the usual Jane Austen or Dickens adaptation drama etc.

The series may be good or awful, depending on your taste and how well the BBC has put it all together.

Note: Episode 2 will be broadcast at 21:00 on Tuesday 25th November, and this timeslot will then be the regular place for this series.

New? It's a remake of a 1975 series, which was devised by the same guy who invented the Daleks.

I'm quite looking forward to it, too - I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction.

New? It's a remake of a 1975 series, which was devised by the same guy who invented the Daleks..

Yes indeed and covered by the information in the Links provided above.

I'm quite looking forward to it, too - I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction.
Let's hope they've done a good job making this series.:unsure:

Sounds awesome! Haven't seen the original, but I do like apocalyptic scenes/storylines (I loved 28 Weeks Later and The Road (Cormac McCarthy))

Episode1 was shown last night.

Sounds awesome! Haven't seen the original, but I do like apocalyptic scenes/storylines (I loved 28 Weeks Later and The Road (Cormac McCarthy))

If you have similar taste in this type of fiction, than it?s worth a download to see what you think.

Will put Specific Episode comments for 1/6 in spoiler wraps from here:
Cast
Julie Graham as Abby Grant
A good, strong leading performance, very believable.

Paterson Joseph as Greg Preston
One of my favourite TV actors anyway, he did good, if limited, work in the first episode. Not in many scenes, and no back story yet.

Nikki Amuka-Bird as Samantha Willis
After watching ?The Thick of It? from the BBC, any dramatic behind the scenes in government stuff is always going to be a bit jaded. Did OK given the material, but her civil servant or advisor bloke, rather stole each scene, I thought.

Max Beesley as Tom Price
Ooooh, evil, brilliant performance from Max. (He did have the best script to work with, to be fair to the other actors.)

Phillip Rhys as Al
I didn?t know this guy, he seemed likeable but the playboy Arab character is a bit of a clich?. Good introduction.

Chahak Patel as Najid
The kid was great.

Zoe Tapper as Anya the Doctor
Much better in the second half of the episode, although she didn?t have much of a script by then. The wandering around bit, getting her self together a bit, was nice work.

Storyline
The episode itself made sense, given the premise that a lethal virus has infected the population. Minor concern that the characters all bumped into each other scene was a little contrived, but if it moves things along why not and it worked OK. Strange cliff hanger in the very last scene which I hope isn?t going to turn into some unlikely story arc.

Technical
Cinematography: It looked great, beautifully shot and lit
Sound: I liked the quiet and the birdies twittering, kind of eerie. The Audi R8 tearing around the empty streets sounded fantastic.
Production Design: Good apart from the empty motorway scene. It just looked liked the BBC had rented an empty road from the council, which they had of course. Needed some dressing and messing up a bit, such as junk & cars etc.
Stunts/SFx: The Alfa through the Hospital entrance was well done, if a bit obvious. The petrol station explosion was very well done and a valid plot point as well. (The Survivors being selfish and stupid, so early in the story.)
Direction & Script: Both good to very good, depending on scenes and actors, overall I?m very happy - no real clonks at all.
Editing and Production: Good, watched it again and it still worked, but it could have been about 15 minutes shorter without suffering too much.

Summary
A very well made and performed drama, which was both interesting and intelligent as well. Very enjoyable, I shall be watching the next episode.

First episode is available on BBC I-Player for about six weeks, in both SD and HD formats.

Episode 2 is broadcast on Tuesday at 21:00 BBC1.

really wasn't impressed with it, thought Dead Set did a better job in showing the break down of society. thought Survivors tried to explain it too much. i'll continue watching the series but i've seen a lot better.

That was pretty good. I was disappointed at the dubbing the Audi R8 with what sounded like a V12. But other than that, a promising storyline and cast. Good stuff!

Also I thought Freema Agyman's character died... So why is she in the promo shots etc?

Freema Agyeman is freakin' hot. Not sure if that's enough for me to download it though.

That was pretty good. I was disappointed at the dubbing the Audi R8 with what sounded like a V12. But other than that, a promising storyline and cast. Good stuff!

Also I thought Freema Agyman's character died... So why is she in the promo shots etc?

not used to using spoilers so hopefully this'l work

from what i recall she said she had found a lump under her arm which is the same thing the other woman character had, the leader one who's name i don't recall, plus she was also out of it for several days so Freema's character 'may have appeared dead' but was actually a plot gimmick for her possible return

^ I guess that must be right yeah.

I loved the original and have all three series on DVD. This new take isn't bad, I think I'll see how it stacks up later on. My only major concern was the lab bit on Sunday's ep, I really hope this isn't a new arc.

I haven't seen the original, but I loved the Survivors 2008, which made me go and get the 1975. series.
See how I'll like it.

IMHO, this is great. It's a study of what people would do, it's (hopefully) not a spectacle,
though I do miss the horror element from "28 Days Later". The actors are great, the script is convincing,
it's a bit slow at times, but that feels rather refreshing after the crapfests like Heroes and Lost.
I do hope the writers don't incorporate silly plot-twists or lots of action sequences and/or useless character flashbacks.

I haven't seen the original, but I loved the Survivors 2008, which made me go and get the 1975. series.
See how I'll like it.

IMHO, this is great. It's a study of what people would do, it's (hopefully) not a spectacle,
though I do miss the horror element from "28 Days Later". The actors are great, the script is convincing,
it's a bit slow at times, but that feels rather refreshing after the crapfests like Heroes and Lost.I do hope the writers don't incorporate silly plot-twists or lots of action sequences and/or useless character flashbacks.
:)
Top Man, SuperStalin - couldn't agree more!

Episode 2 was shown Tuesday night at 21:00 GMT, its new regular broadcast slot.

For those who are undecided and have yet to view on iPlayer or other means, I have put Specific Episode comments for 2/6 in spoiler wraps again:
Cast
All settling in well, I thought.

Storyline
The episode was coherent and believable in terms of the ?what would you be doing now?? test. A nice balancing on Abby?s vs. Tom?s views on this is what its going to be like from now on. Good character developments for all the survivors again which, I believe, they all carried well. Tom gets the best profile, again!
Now my slight, but growing, problem is with the reality of the situation and how the BBC is handling the ?adult? content. Swearing, violence and sex have been virtually pre-watershed so far. Probably the best example was in Ep1 in the Prison scenes and Ep2 the Dexter scenes, these would have been 50% swearing in reality. Nothing! The drama was good in the Dexter scenes, so maybe any additional swearing & violence would have been gratuitous. Maybe the Beeb are building up to it as the series progresses or have bottled it because it is on BBC1. (Compare adult content of the ROME series on BBC2.)

Technical
Continues to be good as before, I think some of the on-car shots are inspired by Top Gear, maybe the Director is a fan!

Summary
This episode of Survivors was an improvement from my viewpoint and the series continues to be an enjoyable, well made and performed drama.

Cars Featured ? need help here !

strange thing is that i spent most of the episodes trying to wonder who the actor playing Greg is, only for me to learn later on that this is the guy who's apparently the bookies fave to take over from David Tennant as the Doctor. if its true at least he's being given the chance to go into some sci-fi territory.