Official WRC thread

It wouldn't surprise me if he did. I think he is realizing that retirement can be boring.

Gr?nholm testing Subaru? Well I can believe that.

Gr?nholm being three seconds faster than the Subaru drivers first time out in the car? Rather unlikely if you ask me, but ok it's possible depending on weather conditions and the test programmes Chris and Petter had been doing.

The trio being flown secretly into a test stage behind the backs of the normal drivers? Now that's what sort of eats up the credibility of this bit of news. As does the fact that it has not been published anywhere else.

Anyway, on Loeb at Le Mans...

WRC ? Job swap for Loeb, Sarrazin.
Saturday, 8th November 2008

Sebastien Loeb and Stephane Sarrazin to swap seats for a day of running.

Following on from the announcement that he is to test a Formula One car with Toro Rosso, World Rally Championship title winner Sebastien Loeb is also to get behind the wheel of the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP thanks to a joint initiative from Citroen, Peugeot and joint sponsors Total.

Citroen and Peugeot will come together for a special event on 27 November at the Paul Ricard circuit in France, where Loeb will get the chance to take to the track during the afternoon at the wheel of the 908 HDi as raced by Peugeot in the Le Mans 24 Hours. While Loeb has raced at Le Mans in the past for Pescarolo Sport, the test will mark his first run in the diesel-powered coupe.

Prior to Loeb's run, factory Peugeot driver Stephane Sarrazin will be given the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the Citroen C4 that has carried Loeb to a fifth straight WRC title this season.

It will mark a return to a WRC car for Sarrazin, who previously drove for Subaru and showed his prowess on asphalt events before being signed up by Peugeot for its sportscar programme.

Source: Crash.net

Maybe, just maybe we'll get a surprise driver in one of the Peugeots at Le Mans...

I agree Seb should go for it. Five WRC driving championships victories are fantastic, but Le Mans is Le Mans.

WRC.com said:
2009 WRC calendars finalised

The FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) has confirmed the 12 round World Rally Championship calendar for the 2009 season.

The new calendar is the first to be organised around the FIA?s two year rotation system and features a number of changes to this year?s 15 round season.

Returning to the WRC after at least a year away are the rallies in Norway, Cyprus, Portugal and Australia, while Rally Poland joins as a brand new event. Absent next year are the rounds in Monte Carlo, Sweden, Mexico, Jordan, Turkey, Germany, New Zealand, France (Tour de Corse) and Japan.

Only two of next year?s rallies - Rally Ireland and Rally de Espana - will be contested on asphalt, compared to four this season.

The number of mandatory events for a Manufacturer Team, (or ?M2 team? - such as the Munchi?s VK M-Sport squad) has been reduced to eight, reflecting the reduction in the number of calendar events.

The WMSC also expressed concern at the apparent potential increase in the cost of a World Rally car and has instructed the WRC Commission to review the proposed 2010 technical regulations, in order to ensure that the original decision to use no more than a removable, bolt-on kit to change a Super 2000 or Group N car into a World Rally car is maintained.

2009 FIA World Rally Championship

28 January -
1 February

Rally Ireland

11-15 February

Rally Norway

11-15 March

The Cyprus Rally

1-5 April

Rally de Portugal

22-26 April

Rally Argentina

20-24 May

Rally d'Italia-Sardegna

10-14 June

Acropolis Rally

24-28 June

Rally Poland

29 July - 2 August

Rally Finland

2-6 September

Rally Australia

30 September -
4 October

Rally de Espana

21-25 October

Wales Rally GB

2009 FIA Production Car World Rally Championship

11-15 February

Rally Norway

11-15 March

The Cyprus Rally

1-5 April

Rallye de Portugal

22-26 April

Rally Argentina

20-24 May

Rally d'Italia-Sardegna

10-14 June

Acropolis Rally

2-6 September

Rally Australia

21-25 October

Wales Rally GB

2009 FIA Junior World Rally Championship

28 January -
1 February

Rally Ireland

11-15 March

The Cyprus Rally

1-5 April

Rallye de Portugal

22 - 26 April

Rally Argentina

20 - 24 May

Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna

24-28 June

Rally Poland

29 July - 2 August

Rally Finland

30 September -
4 October

Rally de Espana

It sucks that the Monte Carlo Rally isn't present in 2009. I think it should be a permanant fixture, aswell as Rally Finland and Rally GB.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did. I think he is realizing that retirement can be boring.

It's not like Gr?nholm has been up to nothing..
galleria_ruotsi20083.jpg

According to http://www.mgr.fi a return to WRC is not impossible...

edit. This pics deserves a viewing.
galleria_ruotsi20081.jpg

Last edited:
Well he isn't doing Rally Cross full time. But point taken.

RallySport Mag
Young Norwegian rally star, Andreas Mikkelsen, has been told by his father he must raise 1M Euros in sponsorship if he wants to compete in the 2009 World Rally Championship.

Mikkelsen could be denied a factory seat with either Subaru or Citroen after a dispute with his father over how much funding he has to find, according to Autosport magazine in the UK.

The Norwegian, who recently tested an Impreza WRC 08, will not contest Rally GB this year, and, according to his father Steiner, may not compete at all next year.

Mikkelsen Senior has apparently told his son he must source a third of the budget for next year.

He was quoted as saying, "If we need 3 million Euros to go rallying, I've told Andreas to find one and I'll add two to it. He's working on this now. If he dosen't find the money then he won't go rallying next season.

"Andreas has had a father who has been able to afford to let him do this. It's time he got into the mood to work hard to obtain something for himself. It's more important to me that I have a grown-up person rather than a rally driver for a son."

It is believed that Mikkelsen has options at his current team RAMsport, plus Subaru, or PH Sport for a private Citroen in 2009. If he dosen't land a drive in the WRC, he will begin his year-long national service in Norway. He is rumoured to be the favourite for a Citroen seat and that this would be his preferred option.

I sincerely hope Andreas finds those funds. Interesting his father is trying to keep him grounded but if he doesn't find the funds it could be the end of his WRC hopes.

In other news Guy Wilks took a 2wd Honda Civic to 2nd outright in the first heat of the Australian Rally Championship before crashing in the second heat. Still a simply stunning performance.

Surprising news indeed... Quite a time for dad to cut him off. Mind you, if Andreas comes up with most of the million I can't see daddy not paying the rest and bringing his career to a halt.

The word is out that Marcus Gr?nholm has signed an eight event deal with Subaru for 2009. Neither party has confirmed anything yet, though.

Hopefully there is truth to this. It would be really cool to see him back.

The word is out that Marcus Gr?nholm has signed an eight event deal with Subaru for 2009. Neither party has confirmed anything yet, though.

Hopefully there is truth to this. It would be really cool to see him back.

Would lend credence to the secret testing he was doing for them. Odd that he wouldn't join Ford. Perhaps they only want full-time drivers and he didn't want to be stuck with a Munchi's car? Or Subaru has more cash?

Whatever the case it will be interesting to see how well he does in an Impreza compared to Solberg.

Marcus wanted to reduce travelling, so perhaps Subaru offered him this limited scheldule and also less PR work than Ford. Who knows.

But as said, it's still unconfirmed.

That would be just so awesome that my head would explode.

No need to worry for your head just yet, Necx0...

In a Finnish interview Marcus has denied that he would have signed any deal with Subaru. He also denies the test story from last page and says he has been to watch the team testing but not driven the car himself. On next year he says nothing is confirmed, he has been thinking about returning but that's as far as it goes. Apparently he'll also be visiting Ford in Wales Rally GB this weekend but whether that is about next year or not he does not say.

Rallybuzz.com
Andreas Mikkelsen will drive an M-Sport prepared Ford Focus WRC in the 2009 World Rally Championship, according to sources at M-Sport.

It is unclear which M-Sport team Mikkelsen will drive for but it is thought he has secured a good deal with Malcolm Wilson.

The news apparently came as a surprise to Ramsport's Rob Atkinson who expected Mikkelsen to stay with his team for 2009. Ramsport's participation as a Manufacturer Team in the upcoming season is now in doubt. Mikkelsen's equipment, which includes three Ford Focus world rally cars, has been transferred to the Malcolm Wilson outfit in Cumbria.

It had been thought that Mikkelsen would possibly be driving for Subaru or Citroen next year as he had tested both cars recently, but this appears now not to be the case.

I guess he found the cash!! Good news, the kid is quick and has a future.

In other big news, Seb Loeb rolled his recce car into a river the other day. Not a good start.

Also just after Rally GB they are having a Fiesta International shootout with young drivers from all around the world. Australia is represented by Brendan Reeves, who is awesomely quick. I hope he does well.

Apparently it is incredibly slippery in Wales. Loeb was not the only driver to go off during recce, I read somewhere that many others did as well. There stages are covered in snow but everyone is going to be using gravel tyres because that's all Pirelli has brought in. Hopefully none of the stages get cancelled, as this could really turn out to be an event where the boys are separated from the men.

*Sigh*

Tomorrow's route has been significantly shortened due to weather conditions, from 128km to 55km of competitive stages.

Happened earlier than I expected, but I was hoping it would not go to that. Hopefully the other two days can be run in full length.