Jalopnik: First Ford... now Toyota

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Remember when Ford tried to claim that they held the copyright to all photos of Ford Mustangs, even ones taken by owners.
(http://forums.finalgear.com/general-automotive/is-ford-trying-to-fail-24530/)

Toyota is pulling a similar trick now.
The owner of DesktopNexus, a major provider of user-generated desktop backgrounds on the web, was contacted by Toyota's lawyers and told any image featuring a Toyota, Scion or Lexus vehicle was property of Toyota and should be removed, including images created by users. As you'd imagine, the users at DesktopNexus are not pleased and have been uploading Toyotas at a furious rate with titles like "Don't Buy Toyota" and "Copyright This" in order to show their disapproval. We look at the legal and PR issues Toyota must face after kicking a hornet's nest ? a hornet's nest full of underemployed people with Photoshop skills and blogs.

The automaker clearly owns the car images it created, such as press photos and catalogs. However, Toyota loses some authority over these works when they disseminate them tot he public at large. But let's ignore that for a moment and focus on the other side of content ? works created by individuals of Toyota products owned by individuals. An automaker doesn't posses the copyright far a painting of a Toyota Camry produced by an individual and uploaded to the site. They don't have the copyright on an image of a Toyota as shot by someone else, like this shot of someone's personal Highlander.

As Torrent Freak points out, Toyota hasn't sent an official copyright notice to the site but has merely unofficially requested the images be taken down. If they sent a DMCA (The Digital Millennium Copyright Act) notice, there would have to be a discernment between different wallpapers. The desktop site's owner said that Toyota wants to be paid to identify what is and what isn't a photo covered by Toyota's copyrights. The Japanese carmaker can win, essentially, by dragging this out into an expensive legal standoff. But why should they try?

Most of these images are actually used as promotional materials, which means that the company hopes people will share them. Many of them are wallpapers. From what we've seen on the site, most of the wallpapers are created to promote Toyota vehicles. In fact, the only negative images we've seen came after Toyota made this move. It seems strange that they're looking to piss off the same demographic group they created an entire brand to capture [Scion]. Of course, the Scion Taco Truck will surely bring them back.

http://jalopnik.com/5090793/toyota-fights-web-site-to-take-down-user+generated-desktop-backgrounds

I don't really see what they're trying to accomplish with this.

Last edited:
ZOMG, such a boring fucking car company doing such evil things is just sad! I would rather drive a broomstick than a Toyota.

But just to piss 'em off a little, here's my Toyota:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2008/11/18/DSC_0502.JPG

This thread is now about images of Toyotas.
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/18/toyota.jpg

We have millions and millions of cameras (almost literally) taking video of people in the street - Toyota should sue the British Government. :lol:

004743-webcam.jpg

Heres a Supra on the 'ring.

Actually, with Ford, it was trademarks, not copyright, so it only concerned photos with the mustang logo in them. Still, just as stupid.

The only good Toyota is a flipped-over Toyota. :twisted:

stromercrash_copy.jpg

Alternatively...

bollea-supra-top.jpg

This thread is now about dead Toyotas. (They need payback after all those fucking awful "Saved by Zero" commercials.)

213583679_8c6b3cf88e.jpg

This one will hopefully piss off the copyright Nazis both Toy-yoda and the BBC:

mainImage.jpg

This one will hopefully piss off the copyright Nazis both Toy-yoda and the BBC:

Is there a high res version of that? I need to put it all over the place.

Is there a high res version of that? I need to put it all over the place.

You know what, I could swear there was a 4000 pixel wide version on GIS when I looked it up, but I can't find it again. Damn.

Edit: Maybe you'll like one of these.

wow, quick edit, shawn :p

I saw pissed off and I thought he had quoted my first post. ;)