HDTV

Okay, so I will be heading to the local Fry's store this afternoon to see for myself.

Ironically, the main purpose of the HDTV isn't for TV at all. It will be plugged into my PC permanently as an extended monitor, and will be used to play my collection of HD Movies, mkv, mp4, h264 files and just about any multimedia files that I want to enjoy on a big screen, with occasional gaming here and there.

With that in mind, is it still wise to get a plasma? How bad is exactly the "burn in" image problem on current plasma TVs?

I've noticed some burn in on my vizio plasma, however it's only for a short period. I've had the tv for a couple of years now. Usually when I hook it up to my mac it's for playing movies etc, so I can't really comment on any extended use as a monitor.

If you plan to use it mostly as a monitor, I would assume LCD is better. I'm still struggling a little with my new LCD because I just can't get the picture right (for TV). So based on my own personal experience, I think plasma delivers a better picture for tv.

Once you pick out a few models that you like, do some extended research into them.

*Edit*

I just realized you live in Durban. I used to live in Johannesburg.

^

ah, good to hear that. Where about in JHB and roughly how long? It's been a while since my last visit to JHB, actually it was back in 2007 for the MPH show, had great fun there : )

Forget plasma, if you want to use your tv for PC purposes youre better off with an LCD, and a 42" 1080p you can get easily for for your target budget price, just check out the sales at Best Buy or Frys now.

I think using a plasma primarily for PC applications where static images like menu bars and desktop icons stay on the screen for a long time is a bad idea.

Only brands i would recommend are Samsung or Sharp. Prices will vary depending on features like 120Hz (gimmicky and a waste of time IMHO for your intended uses), ms response time, and number of HDMI inputs.

Forget DVI, because they aren't that common in lower priced TVs anymore and only the higher end, more expensive models have them now, just get a DVI to HDMI cable if you want to hook up for you PC via DVI.

www.monoprice.com for all your HDMI, DVI cables. DO NOT buy them at a local store. Best Buy sells such cables for $50-100 while you can get something nearly identical for less than $20 online.

Oh yeah and forget DLPs, that is not ideal for PC applications, has limited viewing angles and is bulky like a CRT, being a rear projection design. There's a reason why DLPs can be bought for cheap...people do not want them.

Last edited:
Yeah, for computer monitor usage, stick with LCD, even with the much better anti-burn in technology in plasma these days I would not want to risk it with lots of static elements.

But if I was shopping for normal TV duty TV (and for me that's lots of movies in dark room) then it will be plasma any day of the week.

^

ah, good to hear that. Where about in JHB and roughly how long? It's been a while since my last visit to JHB, actually it was back in 2007 for the MPH show, had great fun there : )

I lived in a few areas, but before I left I was in Lower Houghton. That was in the end of 1999. I haven't been back since. My sister still lives in SA, but in Rustenburg.

I went to the local Fry's store to have a look at the HDTV today. Spoke to a sales rep that recommend me to buy DLP TV, according to him, DLP is pretty much the same as LCD, except for a massive box at the back. Apart from the size difference, he rekons I will be able to hook it up to my PC without any problem.

Is he talking kak or is DLP really suitable for my PC?

Here are some prices that I took down, most of them sound like a good deal, can you guys help me to pick one?

Samsung DLP 50" - $900
Samsung LCD TV 52" - $1260
Samsung LCD TV 46" - $1100
Samsung LCD TV 40" - $900
LG LCD TV 47" - $1200
Toshiba LCD TV 40" - $700

One more thing. Whenever you see the words "Dynamic Contrast Ratio", please please please ignore it. What you want to look for is the Native Contrast Ratio. A lot of companies brag about a one million to one contrast ratio and in reality, theres no way to test this so they can put whatever they want and get away with it. also its the native contrast ratio that you'll actually be able to see.

Oh yeah, the sales rep went straight on about Dynamic Contrast Ratio, he blabbes about how 30000:1 really makes a difference in terms of lighting and contrast etc.. I didn't really pay much attention to that, but judging from the picture quality, those 30000:1 TV does look a bit sharper and brighter. Still, it doesn't justify the extra $400 price tag, so I am probably gonna stick with the cheaper options (above options).

Thanks again, I will finalise this deal by end of this week. Hopefully I will be able to get everything up and running by Monday.

DLPs are just so unfashionable man... I'd shell out the extra few hundred and buy something that looks like it's from this century. DLPs just remind me of that almost 20 year, 2 tonne big screen hunk we used to have at home.

I don't think quality wise they are up there with LCDs and plasmas, but in any case, they're old technology. It's rear-projection technology from so long ago.

Didn't they have any Panasonic models? They make the panels used in the Bang and Olufsen TVs, they're supposed to be good. Personally, I'd just go for one of the smaller Samsung LCDs you posted.

Hm... It doesn't actually look too bad, once you hide it in a TV cabinet or something like that. The whole reason why I am considering DLP is because of the price to size ratio, for the same amount of money, I can get a 50" DLP, but only a 40" LCD TV.

As for Panasonic, all of them are over $1000, I don't really feel like paying $1100 for a 40" TV when I can get a 46" with the same amount of money.

All the above options are the best deal I can find at the store, all the other ones are either too expensive, or too small.

I guess if you have a cabinet it could be alright... but I would never buy one in 2008. It has the same crappy limited viewing angles as those old cabinet big screens.

I didn't know Panasonic units were expensive, we bought one when all flat panels were still pretty expensive. You were set on a getting a 42 or 46 inch, I say go for an LCD in that size. It's still within your original budget.

Most stores around here have no idea what they are doing when it comes to setting up TV's or computer monitors for display. Heck, my local Office Depot has all of the LCD's running from the same computer's output...everything from 17" standard format to 24" widescreens...everything's all blurry, washed out and stretched out.

The one Best Buy in East Palo Alto (murder capital per capita of the US, 1992 suckas!) seems to be the only place that cares about the settings of the individual TV's.

Anyways, even before shopping there or actively looking for a TV, I would always catch myself stopping to look at a great picture of an LCD TV. What I found was that more often than not, it ended up being a Samsung. Granted, I think my 32" model can be had for $599, but I couldn't be happier with my TV. My Monitor has some light-bleed issue, but it's still way better than my friend's Viewsonic, or his NEC.

I guess if you have a cabinet it could be alright... but I would never buy one in 2008. It has the same crappy limited viewing angles as those old cabinet big screens.

I didn't know Panasonic units were expensive, we bought one when all flat panels were still pretty expensive. You were set on a getting a 42 or 46 inch, I say go for an LCD in that size. It's still within your original budget.

Dude, there's a huge difference between the old analog rear projection and DLP/LCD rear projection, so I wouldn't mix those together. This is our setup, you can't even tell we have a five-year-old 50" Sony LCD rear projection there.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2008/12/20/Theater01.jpg

I know they've come a long way, but it's still rear projection.

I was just saying, today's DLPs remind of those things. I know the quality is a lot better.

Plus, I can tell it's an old rear projection because of the ruffled matte cover on the screen. :p And if anyone is going to bother building a cabinet like you have, they might as well pay $300 more and buy a nice looking flat panel.

Edit: I just remembered, I used to hook up my old laptop to our old 50 inch big screen rear projection, and it looked really awful. The text was very fuzzy and the resolution was never right. I don't know if modern-er DLPs are better, but make sure they don't suck if you're buying a DLP MadCow. LCD TVs, on the other hand, are the exact same technology that computer monitors run on, so everything looks perfect and legible. It's just like having a 40"+ Dell or HP monitor.

Last edited:
Not sure when I saw the last DLP set for sale in a store here - 1 to 2 years perhaps.

I think as our rooms are smaller it is now Plasmas or LCDs, and so long as you are not going for an over 42" LCD is OK, above that I think Plasma starts to be a better option (now they seem to have sorted the anti burn in technology).

Goes without saying 1080p 24fps and 100 Hertz (for us at least).

Well, I have the option of trying out the DLP, and if I don't like it, I can always return it and replace it with a smaller LCD TV.

For what it's worth, Costco has a 46" Toshiba and 47" Vizio (both 120Hz & 1080P) for $1299.

^

Thanks, sounds like a cracking deal as well, is it available at any Costco store? Or is it online only?

I'd call to find out. I haven't been to Costco in a bit, but I did see the Vizio at my local Sams Club.