The Games Thread

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Let's start a thread on what games everyone's playing, or is going to play soon, or finished recently, or just to talk about your favourite games.

Since I upgraded my PC, I started getting a lot of games that I couldn't play before because of performance.

Right now I'm playing the first FarCry and I'm almost done. I recently finished Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, and Age Of Empires 3.

I've finished downloading FarCry2 and Tomb Raider: Anniversary, so I'm going to play them next. I'm currently downloading Race Driver: GRID.

I also have a PS2 and the only game I have that I haven't played is God of War, because I'm so busy with my PC games. Should I cut back on my PC gaming and play God Of War?

My current favourite game is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It just has the perfect blend of stealth-action gameplay, storyline, graphics and great characters. I played all the SC's many times and they are all good, but CT is just that little bit better because the first 2 are starting to show their age and the 4th: Double Agent just isn't as good as Chaos Theory just because the PC version is FULL of bugs and the story is good, but a bit messed up.

So, TALK ABOUT GAMES! :D

God of War is freaking insane. I can safely say that it will be the most enjoyable gaming experience you will have in a long time. Not many good action-adventure games like it anymore. Once you finish it, go out and get God of War 2, then start saving your dimes for a PS3 for God of War 3.

Just played Prince of Persia 2008 recently. It's a pretty good game, if you like platform games. The fighting system isn't very good though.

I just finished Resistance 2 and I can say that is one of the best looking console FPS's I've ever seen. I also finished playing Bioshock (PS3 version) and I'm half way FarCry 2 but I didn't like it as much as I expected.

I'm also in love with PGR4. The recreation of the cities is just superb and the selection of cars and motorcycles is just perfect. A little bit of everything.

And about Forza 2... I played with it once and haven't played since. I just can't stand it. GT5P (being the prologue) is 200% times better in every single way.

I just finished "Rise of the argonauts". While the game itself wasn't that great i kinda liked the story.. Other than that i'm playing GTR Evo (STCC), I have downloaded about 40 extra tracks, so i'm keeping busy.

rFactor and GTR2... and that's about it. Occasionally F1 Challenge '99-'02, most of the time using the Prototype-C mod.

GTR2 was alright, although the AI are pretty unintelligent. Same goes for F1C99-02. I guess we're all waiting to see what Codemasters can come up with for this new F1 game (though if it's anything like DiRT, it'll be rubbish). I should get rFactor, I know I should...

I'm playing Fallout 3 at the moment (I've already finished it, but I'm going back and doing all the shit I didnt manage to do the first time round). Awesome game. Very easy to waste half a day on this.

FarCry2...looked great, but was pretty uninvolving and pretty repetitive.

As for GTAIV, I installed it, but it runs like crap. I know I need to update my ATi drivers to 8.12 but I really can't be bothered anymore. Plus it simply crashes immediately after the splash screen anyway, so thats just gathering dust on my desk.

GTR2 was alright, although the AI are pretty unintelligent. Same goes for F1C99-02. I guess we're all waiting to see what Codemasters can come up with for this new F1 game (though if it's anything like DiRT, it'll be rubbish). I should get rFactor, I know I should...

Well the F1 game will be on the DiRT/GRID game engine, but hopefully they'll tune it to work properly for the F1 cars' physics. As for rFactor, get it ASAP. There's a million car and track mods out there for it; the original game is 1.6 GB, my current installation is 45.3 GB.

Good idea for a thread :thumbup:

Xbox360: I recently downloaded Rockband 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour (hacked 360 FTW). I never really got into these games in the past, but my brother convinced me to start playing them. However, I still enjoy real guitar more.

PC: Call of Duty: Word at War is currently my FPS of choice.

PSP: Stacked Poker for bathroom enjoyment.

XBox 360 - Currently playing Left 4 Dead and Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway at the moment. both great games but for online fps its still Call of Duty: World at War.

PC - Since i spend most of my gaming time on the XBox 360 i don't buy a lot of games for my pc and the only game i play consistently on the pc is World of Warcraft.i try not to play it too much since it can become addictive and sucks up a social life and drive away friends and girls.

PS3 - can't remember i last played a game on this, its mostly a glorified dvd player for me and a excuse to buy some Blu Ray dvd's.

PSP - Star Wars Force Unleashed and Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core.

PC: Dawn of War + Expansions. I am working my way through the whole series again i really do think this may be my favorite RTS since TA. And of course NetHack which has been the once constant in my life since like 1992

I'm doing one of my old console phases at the moment, so...

PS2:
I'm obviously doing Gran Turismo 4 for this topic. I also occasionally fire up the PS2 for a race or two in Burnout Revenge which I'm nowhere near completing.

If I'll find the time I'm intending to continue on killer7. An interesting game, to say the least, has some gameplay issues but is generally intriguingly strange affair (as an example, at one point I opened a washing machine to find someone's head which talked to me about something obscure and gave me an item I needed).

Dreamcast (with emulator...):
Few games I recommend getting your hands on now that there's a useful emulator around (NullDC).
Rez is a simple shoot 'em up but the sound and visual world have been created extremely well and in a dark room with a big screen it's fab. Just a shame it's such a short game (only five levels, most of which can be completed within the first few tries).
Jet Set Radio (a.k.a. Jet Grind Radio) is a Tony Hawk esque game about rollerblading and graffiti painting which is not much more complicated than older Tony Hawk games as far as gameplay goes but has brilliant atmosphere with general cartoony graphics (cellshaded) and really groovy soundtrack.

Only World of Goo now.

Although 2 days ago (before my main HDD desintegrated) the list was:

World of Goo, Monopoly, Starcraft, Witcher (just finished), Mass effect, Might and Magic 7, Fallout 3, GTA 4 and PS2 emulator with Front Mission 4.

The game i was really disappointed with was Prince of Persia. I don't really care how many times Ubisoft announced their intentions to bring innovation to the genre, here's my summary of the game:

1. It looked cartoonish and much less realistic than previous games of the series and Assasin's Creed
2. Prince's abilities evolved from advanced acrobatics to simply unrealistic (Japanese style)
3. Combat is like a mediocre mix of Devil May Cry and Street Fighter, brilliant games, mixing them didn't do any good
4. Storyline was very disappointing
5. They've lost the magic of Prince of Persia/Alladin/Assasin's Creed world, IMO.

Also Red Alert 3 was a bit of a mess, after the brilliant Tiberium Wars. Mission briefing videos went "Need for Speed style", basically hot girls you are not listening to (for obvious reasons). Gameplay wise it seemed really unbalanced, although i enjoyed Japanese campain.

Game to look forward to this year, for me, -> Starcraft II by Blizzard.

Question:
Does anybody recall a logic 3d internet game, in which you had to get the small ball thru a 3d puzzle. Basically you are given a square platform and a number of gadgets like a small catapult, jumpers, walls, bricks and ramps you have to place in certain locations on the square to create a sequence of actions which would get the ball from A to B.

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
Only World of Goo now.

Although 2 days ago (before my main HDD desintegrated) the list was:

World of Goo, Monopoly, Starcraft, Witcher (just finished), Mass effect, Might and Magic 7, Fallout 3, GTA 4 and PS2 emulator with Front Mission 4.

The game i was really disappointed with was Prince of Persia. I don't really care how many times Ubisoft announced their intentions to bring innovation to the genre, here's my summary of the game:

1. It looked cartoonish and much less realistic than previous games of the series and Assasin's Creed
2. Prince's abilities evolved from advanced acrobatics to simply unrealistic (Japanese style)
3. Combat is like a mediocre mix of Devil May Cry and Street Fighter, brilliant games, mixing them didn't do any good
5. They've lost the magic of Prince of Persia/Alladin/Assasin's Creed world, IMO.

Also Red Alert 3 was a bit of a mess, after the brilliant Tiberium Wars. Mission briefing videos went "Need for Speed style", basically hot girls you are not listening to (for obvious reasons). Gameplay wise it seemed really unbalanced, although i enjoyed Japanese campain.

Game to look forward to this year, for me, -> Starcraft II by Blizzard.

Question:
Does anybody recall a logic 3d internet game, in which you had to get the small ball thru a 3d puzzle. Basically you are given a square platform and a number of gadgets like a small catapult, jumpers, walls, bricks and ramps you have to place in certain locations on the square to create a sequence of actions which would get the ball from A to B.

Thx in advance.

i got prince of persia as well last year. i enjoyed the platform moments in the game and it was fun to a degree the combat in the game left a lot to be desired. what made me laugh was that i had been described as 'stealth action' except there's no actual stealth in the game at all.
good choice in the game of the year, for me its up in the air between that, Resident Evil 5, Ghostbusters or Aliens: Colonial Marines.

pc world of goo, half life series, call of duty series, ghotic 2

highly recommend world of goo, at first it looks dull and after that you can't stop playing

ps gt4, pro street

and PS2 emulator with Front Mission 4

What's the best PS2 emulator? And does it play all games or just some?

Thanks in advance :)

YES Splinter Cell FTMFW! Greatest series ever.

Lately I've been playing alot of RainbowSix Vegas online (360). Thinking about trading in Fallout 3 towards something if I can think of some to get but I don't think I will (Not that Fallout wasn't a truely great game but I just doubt I'll take the time to go through the story again.). Next game I want to grab is Resident Evil 5 for 360 then Diablo 3 for PC whenever the hell that comes out.

Oh and of course Splinter Cell: Conviction... also whenever the hell it comes out.

I've just found a copy of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within which must've been bundled with something and long forgotten until I cleaned out my desk today. Might as well install it and see what it's about.

What's the best PS2 emulator? And does it play all games or just some?

Thanks in advance :)

http://www.pcsx2.net/ is probably the best, and, the only one still being updated regulary, including new plugins and such. Only thing you need to do is pick the plugins that suit your system, as there are different ones for best dual-core, quad-core performance, different gfx plugins for certain series of Nvidia and ATI cards, so it may take some time to setup the thing.

On their forum there's a thread about game compatability and performance for every single tested game with screens, setup notes, best plugin compilation for certian games and feedback from users about bugs and stuff like that.

If you want to play games comfortably you need a mid/high range dual core processor 3.0GHz or more and a performance gfx card, like Geforce 8800 series or better.

I played Final Fantasy 10, 12, Front Mission 4 and Gran Turismo 3 and WWE series, they all run great. There are thousands of 100% playable games, which you can read about in their forums.

I've just found a copy of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within which must've been bundled with something and long forgotten until I cleaned out my desk today. Might as well install it and see what it's about.

Warrior Within is a brilliant game, imo, by far the pinnacle of PoP series, so i hope you enjoy playing it.

Last edited:
first off : Playstation > PC :p

Second, here's a list of what I'm currently playing

PS2 : GT4 (60ish% done, don't think I'll ever complete it all the way, I'm too much of a noob), Burnout Dominator (awesome possum and very good game for letting off steam), NFS Carbon, GTA3, Ratchet & Clank.

PC : only thing I rarely play is LFS and GTR2.