50 Reasons to Switch from Microsoft Windows to Mac OS X

This Chris Pirillo guy is such a big fucking douchebag it's not even funny.

One night I was really high like Ottobon and I subjected myself to some of his YouTube videos... he's one of these typical nerds who think anyone should care about their opinion because he got himself a video camera and a dual monitor setup in the background to look cool.

He's the worst kind of Apple fanboy - one that doesn't even realize that he is one. He had this long ass video about why the iPhone is too hyped and why he probably won't get it... after half an hour talking out of his ass, he finally stated that even though the iPhone was hyped, it was still the greatest phone ever and that he would get one.

Argh, he makes me so angry. I cannot stand people with stupid opinions who think their opinion is worth more than that of others. This article is the perfect example of why he's a big, huge bullshit artist. Just watch his show once and you can hear the egotism coming through his voice.

I stopped reading there because It is obvious this person is an idiot because my $400 compaq did that too. The compaq actually, had the option of tuning that off and on which my $3,000 macbook pro does not.

True, but have you looked at the options for power management under Windows? The horror, the horror!

Windows has those same features... the only thing is, you might actually have to head into Control Panel and configure it how you want. This, my friend, is not something Apple fanatics take kindly too - any kind of options or settings seem to scare them away.

Apple is so infatuated with simplifying everything... is it ever going to stop? Or are they going to simplify things so far that in a decade Apple will just sell you a secretary in place of a computer? Hey, nothing simpler than telling a secretary what you want and not have to worry about it, right?

I got a laugh out of #26. Macs are better because VLC plays most video formats natively. Right, that makes perfect sense.

^ Not to mention there are now better alternatives to VLC.

See, this guy doesn't know shit about shit.

Well I have zoom, beat that, Apple! All I have to do is hold down the windows key and scroll into the screen, and I can make out all the details of someone's tiny avatar picture without having to lean into the screen and squint.

I can also read all the tiny text that trendy apple-adoring website designers like to put in their webpages. :p

I hope Win7 also has this feature.
http://www.shauninman.com/archive/2003/07/02/osx_zoom_mode :p

1.Seems that the future of Windows development is happening largely for corporate environments and customers. I don?t take issue with this other than being someone who doesn?t live or work inside a corporate environment at home.
Which is what those games are for right? Nevermind that there are windows HOME editions and such

2.Excellent power management in OS X. When I close the lid to my MacBook Pro, it falls asleep. When I open the lid to my MacBook Pro, it wakes up. Imagine that! Seems to be the case 99% of the time, and it happens quickly.
When I turn the key in my car it starts up. Imagine that! Seems to be the case 99% of the time, and it happens quickly.

3.I?m ready to experience different frustrations. OS X isn?t perfect, certainly - but I already see its noticeably more stable than Windows Vista has been. Kernel Panics at least look prettier than BSODs. Seriously, I just find OS X?s update schedule to be more to my liking - instead of waiting for gigantic service packs, I get minor point releases along the way to major revisions to the OS. Bugs are going to happen, but knowing that showstopping / security bugs are likely to be squished quicker gives me amazing peace of mind.
*bubble*
There are updates available for your computer. Also kernal panics are a lot less pretty when they happen from simply plugging in a usb drive.

4.There?s more interesting, useful, beautiful, and affordable software being developed for OS X. If you still believe that there?s no software for ?the Mac,? you?re simply a fool who hasn?t done his or her research.
Despite the fact I have not found something I needed to do and could not do on my mac, there are still at least 5 solid options for every 1. 3 of these 4 will be free. Go find a SIMPLE small footprint art program for OSX. I dare you to try.

5.VMware Fusion makes it possible to have every operating system at my fingertips (as well as every app that runs on ?em, FTW). Performance and stability is a reality, not a dream. More importantly, with USB 2.0 support in VMware Fusion, I have near complete compatibility with any external hardware. Parallels is also there, which should keep competition lively.
6.I believe that the future of Windows (or any OS software layer) will be experienced in a virtual machine of some sort. People have been dual booting for years - now I can triple-task cross-platform in seconds flat.

except for one problem, as nice as parallels and VMware are you are still running 2 OSes at once. Don't try using it for games unless you plan on making sure there is NOTHING running on OSX before you try unless you want lag

7.Not to say that Microsoft or Linux haven?t made great strides in recent years, but? at least Leopard feels like only one team was developing the UI. It?s not quite perfect, but closer to what perfect should be. I?m not a huge fan of iTunes or every other Apple utility - but at least with Leopard, they?re trying to make them look and work the same way.
Has anyone here been confused by the way WMP works? Thought "hey this doesn't match the rest of windows!" etc? No? Me either I have no idea WTF this guy is talking about

8.I love the fact that most programs and their associated libraries are self-contained (apps). There?s no stress in installing / uninstalling most programs, and for true cleanup jobs there?s always AppZapper.
AppZapper. This is a separate program that costs money. Some programs don't come with their own uninstaller and OSX doesn't have one. Even if you DO have AppZapper, it will still leave more files behind than in windows.

9.I?m not a huge fan of the Dock for task management, but Quicksilver has virtually no Windows equivalent (in terms of elegance and scriptability, although it?s still completely overwhelming to me right now). The dock isn?t a shining example of where OS X is ?better,? but I do appreciate the context menu options for each of the Dock?s icons for ?Open at Login? management.
"I can't find the startup folder under the programs list!"

10.Spotlight is to Windows Desktop Search as a BMW Z4 is to a Ford Pinto (in terms of performance, usability, and UI). No contest. I?m sure some would argue the opposite, but? they?re also probably the extreme developer ?but it works if you just learn how to use it right? types. Feh.
Really? I found it almost exactly the same, actually the way it lists the stuff it finds is a lot more annoying.

11.The Apple community has been infiltrated by enough people who aren?t smug. You?re not better than me just because you run another OS or support another vendor, nor are you any less of a geek. Not every Windows user is a neanderthal, although some of their dated arguments would make them out to be. I think that most consumers are caught up in the idea that you NEED Windows for everything at home. You don?t.
The Apple community has been infiltrated by enough people who aren?t smug. LOLOLOL Says the one giving Mac users a bad name with his asslicking.

12.My iPhone is not going away anytime soon. Would I switch for better compatibility with a communications device? Not necessarily, but if the future of OS X is in the present of the iPhone? they?re going to gain consumer market share at blinding speed. Remember, I wanted to hate this device - after years of being a dyed-in-the-wool Windows Mobile advocate.
#1, I am under the opinion the iphone sucks. #2, you don't need OSX to use it. If you did no one would buy it

13.The spyware / malware / virus threat is diminished by an extreme degree. Not to say that one should avoid running protective layers of software or hardware, but? I?m just not as nervous when I try a new app on OS X.The dell in the living room is 6 years old. Being used by a kid>teenager and a middleage woman who last week asked me HOW TO DELETE ICONS FROM THE DESKTOP, the biggest "virus" that had to be delt with was called AOL

14.Many of my friends are considering making the switch as well. This dovetails nicely with my first point. I can tell you that just by showing off the fun features of CamTwist and Colloquy with my live stream, a few of those community members have already purchased MacBooks - or are strongly considering doing so in the not-too-distant future. Interestingly enough, those are two FREE apps that work amazingly better than most overpriced Windows shareware titles.
I am going to buy a 1000$ computer for freeware OH YES I am intelligent.

15.Microsoft Windows completely abandoned its power users, period. Where are the Windows Vista ?Ultimate? add-ons? Where are the new Power Toys? Why doesn?t Windows Media Player have podcast support yet (despite me telling them to integrate RSS back when WMP9 was in beta, years before podcasting was a buzzword)? I?m not saying that Windows is dead - not by any stretch of the imagination.
iTunes is an over bloated memory hog with way too much crap that I can't disable completely. WTF is this "genius" thing they added? I can't start iTunes if I'm downloading something because it will eat the whole connection.

16.Boot Camp, if all else fails.
ummmmm windows doesn't NEED bootcamp?

17.A single SKU of Leopard is both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible. This, alone, is a fantastic reason to embrace the platform. It?s seamless. Why should a consumer have to come to a decision on which code to run - or understand the differences between them in the first place? Remember, I?m to be considered a ?home? user.
this is why people think mac users are stupid "LOL why should I understand the computer"

18.Time Machine. Wow. Can it really be this simple? ?Simply select your AirPort Disk as the backup disk for each computer and the whole family can enjoy the benefits of Time Machine.? Do you understand what that means? And no, Windows Volume Shadow Copy is not the SAME thing.
NOTE: time machine is usesless for a computer crash. It also means you can't back up in a way to prevent crashing on the same HD. That being said I use a program called "superduper!" that created a bootable backup, so if my computer breaks I am fine, get a new one plug it into the external drive and copy it over.

19.Leopard?s Finder will allegedly search networked computers seamlessly, as well as allow you to access those results remotely (through a paid .Mac account, which would totally be worth purchasing at that point).
he hasn't even seen if it works yet lol

20.Java app performance is decent on OS X, and the same code looks infinitely better when it?s not running on Windows. In fact, most third-party apps are very well designed so as to integrate seamlessly with the entire OS. That?s beyond refreshing.
SHINYBOBBLE

21.You never need to defrag a Mac?s hard disk.
but you need to manually go through on a regular basis to get rid of all the damn files the uninstallers missed!

22.Adium is there - an Instant Messaging client that allows you to use AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, and other accounts through a single client. It?d be my replacement for Miranda IM. Skype also works on the Mac. I expect to see even more universal IM apps reveal themselves over the coming months.
I hate Adium. I hate it so much. Also, a BETTER thing to put here would be iChat, being IT is a multi client that is much less annoying than adium, that is built into the system

23.Bonjour is proving to be quite useful on my home network. Computers with Bonjour-enabled services are automatically discovered with virtually no fuss - even my networked Windows machines have been playing along.
We have this in school with the printers. It's nice but is often buggy

24.Joining wireless networks in OS X is easier and more refined, easily accessible. The tools for networking don?t seem overly complex, either.
And you can have it with HP Wirless assistant for 600$ less!

25.Setting up services such as Windows File Sharing, FTP, and even Web sharing can be done on OS X with just a few clicks. If you?re telling me that I could set up FTP just as easily in Windows, then? it obviously can?t be done as easily.
I will admit that I never tried this on my windows computers, but considering there are only like 5 FTP clients for mac I can't imagine that none of the countless ones for windows are as good.

26.Almost all of the audio and video formats out there can be played on the Mac with Video LAN Player (VLC). One less barrier to entry.
which is for ALL OSES

27.Great Web browsers that work in Windows also work on the Mac (Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Flock). The only exception here is Internet Explorer, or any third-party overlay to IE (such as Maxthon, which has been taking a slight turn for the worse with 2.0). Of course, there?s always the ?invisible? virtual machine possibility (read: VMware Fusion?s Unity mode). Moreover, Safari / WebKit is gaining speed on all platforms.
read: just as good

28.Erasing deleted files placed in your trash (also known as a Recycle Bin in Windows) can be securely erased in OS X. No need to mess with third-party software.
how much of this list is third party?

29.You can still right-click in OS X - and the way Apple decided to implement it is far more convenient than you?d think. In fact, I find double-tapping the mouse pad far more intuitive than using a second mouse button. Didn?t take long to get used to it at all.
OH COME ON

30.Wanna set up a VNC server on your Mac? No problem, its already apart of the operating system! Moreover, the feature isn?t buried three levels deep. It?s sitting right there in the Finder. Moreover, unlike Windows Remote Desktop, a Screen Sharing session doesn?t lock the remote user out of his / her session - one reason I?ve always loathed RDC.
I'll admit to having no knowledge on this one

31.Microsoft doesn?t have an iLife. Not even close. It has a set of multimedia applications, but they don?t seem to be cohesive in the slightest. Maybe things will get better as Live continues to evolve?
Honestly, I find those programs to be overly simplistic and never use them at all. I think I deleted every one of them off my HD

32.You really don?t get to play the blame game with Apple. They make the hardware AND the operating system, so? they really know what?s going on, and they really know if the problem is widespread.
first one I agree with

33.A Mac costs about the same as a comparable Windows PC - for hardware and (for argument?s sake for those who don?t believe me) bundled software. And for those who still claim that Macs are still more expensive, they obviously have never seen or priced a gaming rig. Price / cost is relative. If you want a cheap machine, that?s your prerogative. The resell value on Macs has always been higher than that of an equivalent ?Windows? machine.
The problem is there is no low end version. I could only afford one because money feel from the sky.

34.You can record audio and video conversations from iChat 4.0 (natively). That?s pretty amazing, as it takes the idea of ?video chat? and puts it into a time-shifted space. This isn?t just useful for those of us who conduct guest interviews regularly, but for home users who want to save calls for posterity.
uh oh. I did not know that. No more boobs on webcam then! D:

35.Dashcode appears to take the geekery out of widget-building. Moreover, the new ?Web Clippings? widget appears to work better than anything I?ve seen come from Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, et al. This is putting the user first?
oh wait I didn't know about that one either D:
That's kinda cool I'll play with that later...

36.With a .Mac subscription, you can save common local settings as global ones. You only have to configure your Dock or System Preferences on one machine to have those same changes appear on all machines connected to your .Mac account. Unbelievable.
this costs money, I am not sure how much at the moment because the search on the apple site is broken:lol:

37.Unlike Windows font management, you can activate fonts as you need them within Leopard. This translates to less wasted overhead by fonts that remain largely unused in memory. I can only imagine this results in far less resource-intensive sessions. Genius.
except if you have too many fonts you'll freeze it

38.Automator now supports UI Recording and Playback, which means you can create ?macros? without understanding a lick of logic. The last time I saw a native macro recorder in Windows was? v3.0? You don?t have to be a geek to gain access to geeky-cool features.
ok I didn't know that one either

39.Can?t tell you how much I love Spring Loaded folders. Love ?em.
.... there'a a back button?

40.Wikipedia information, while not always accurate, certainly stands to be updated a lot more frequently than documentation that ships with (or from) the operating system designer. That Apple has taken the step to integrate access directly from within the Dictionary tool?? It?s just kinda nice to have there. They?re placing trust in the idea of community rather than trying to hide it from us.
you don't even know if it's true then...?:blink:

41.Mail comes with ?Data Detectors? which will highlight phone numbers, addresses, etc. You can then choose to do something with that information, like map it or store it as an appointment, contact, etc. This is a feature I had not seen outside of a pricey plugin for Microsoft Outlook. I may not use Mail.app, but at least they?re continuing to improve its functionality - ugly capsule toolbar icons notwithstanding.
and makes it difficult to copy>paste them to anywhere else

42.The Preview tool ain?t no joke - with annotations, basic image editing, Core Animation zooming and scrolling, GPS Metadata support, batch operations, etc. It?s all at your fingertips.
and autohides itself if you try to add text

43.Expose works. ?Nuff said. The only thing that surpasses OS X?s open window management is Compiz Fusion. None of this Flip3D nonsense.
this is actually a favorite feature of mine.

44.Help. No, seriously - Help is the way Help should have always been all along. I related my ?Help? experience a few weeks ago, with the system not just finding what I was looking for help on, but taking me directly to the spot where I needed to be. I?m pretty sure the Help system isn?t 100% accurate, but it hasn?t disappointed me yet.
the help system is however useless for individual applications that don't have their own elaborate help system like photoshop etc.

45.Guest accounts are purged after every session in Leopard. Wow. Guest privileges, on the other hand, seem to be lacking somewhat on the security front (but most of my Guests are computer clueless).
that sounds not good?

46.I love the Universal Access zoom feature - and have used it so many times for countless reasons. Really comes in handy when you?re trying to show something to someone from across the room. Never found anything close to its simplicity anywhere else.
I can't compare this to windows being that it didn't occur to me to mess with the disability options

47.Call me crazy, but I love the fact that in OS X, the keyboard shortcut for opening Preferences is always the same (Command + Comma). Convenient. Dependable. Quick.this has already been covered in this thread as dumb

48.Device compatibility doesn?t seem to be as much of an issue as it used to be with the Mac. While I couldn?t get my brand new HP LaserJet to work inside of Vista, it works flawlessly inside of OS X 10.4 (despite having to use HP?s scanning software). Still, with any USB hardware hiccups in Leopard, compatibility issues are erased with VMware Fusion until newer software is unleashed.
I need to boot windows to run my stuff is a pro?

49.Thanks to another one of our sponsors, GoToMeeting, I?ve had the opportunity to see quite a few of my friends? desktops. Quite a few have gone to great lengths to make their installation of Windows look and feel like Mac OS X. At that point, what?s the point of sticking with Windows? Just about the only thing Mac users might want from Windows is the Explorer (FTFF) - and even then, there?s ?Path Finder.?
the first thing I did when I got my mac was to set it up to work like windows

50.I?ve said it before, and I?ll say it again: Windows users need Apple?s software more than Mac users need Microsoft?s. That?s just a cold, hard fact. And given my severe disappointment with just about everything in Mac Office 2008, I?m even further driven away from Microsoft?s desktop software.

the only reason to use apple software on a mac is if you have a ipod with apps that needs itunes. Any other ipod can be run off third party software.

That took way too long. What was that 5 that I agreed with? See how easy all of those are to flip around?:lol: I hate fantards of any system even my own.

He's the worst kind of Apple fanboy - one that doesn't even realize that he is one. He had this long ass video about why the iPhone is too hyped and why he probably won't get it... after half an hour talking out of his ass, he finally stated that even though the iPhone was hyped, it was still the greatest phone ever and that he would get one.

The iPhone is a useless phone, My iPod touch also fails miserably as an MP3 player. They are however fun little PDA toys, I never use it for music though the interface is the most horrible I have ever used.

True, but have you looked at the options for power management under Windows? The horror, the horror!

Windows has those same features... the only thing is, you might actually have to head into Control Panel and configure it how you want. This, my friend, is not something Apple fanatics take kindly too - any kind of options or settings seem to scare them away.

Apple is so infatuated with simplifying everything... is it ever going to stop? Or are they going to simplify things so far that in a decade Apple will just sell you a secretary in place of a computer? Hey, nothing simpler than telling a secretary what you want and not have to worry about it, right?
thankfully there are options in OSX, but you have to look for them. If there were none no fucking way I would use it, that is boring.

I stopped reading there because It is obvious this person is an idiot because my $400 compaq did that too. The compaq actually, had the option of tuning that off and on which my $3,000 macbook pro does not.

The power management seems to be one of the better statements on that list according the anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=13

Apple is so infatuated with simplifying everything... is it ever going to stop?

So is microsoft. They seemingly tried to make many things simplier under vista but they have made many things more difficult as a result of that. (Networking is the biggest one)

Last edited:
^ Whatever, at least under Vista they have failed at making it simpler.

I had an MBP for 3 years, and I was always bugged by how Apple expects all their users to be computing noobs. For instance, on Apple laptops when you close the lid it will go to one default sleep option. On Windows laptops, you have the choice between hibernate, sleep, or do nothing at all when the lid is closed.

There's a program called Insomniac that keeps your laptop from going to sleep when the lid is closed, but as expected, every update to OS X caused the program to stop working.

Last edited:
So, are we talking about Macs or Chris Pirillo?

If it's Chris Pirillo: Fuck him, move on.

If it's about Macs: I could tell you why "I" like Macs better than PCs but I have a strange feeling y'all don't want to hear that regardless of what my needs/wants are. Sometimes its like y'all just want to bash shit just for the hell of it whether it be Macs, leafsprings, rap music, rich people, or whatever else you feel you are rebelling against. So much effort for something that has no bearing on your life.

That seems to be the PC users on this board.

Last edited:
There's a program called Insomniac that keeps your laptop from going to sleep when the lid is closed, but as expected, every update to OS X caused the program to stop working.
and froze when you opened it back up again

^ Whatever, at least under Vista they have failed at making it simpler.

How is that a good thing. It took me forever when i first used vista to setup the networking after vista had failed utterly to automate it

The power management seems to be one of the better statements on that list according the anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=13

So is microsoft. They seemingly tried to make many things simplier under vista but they have made many things more difficult as a result of that. (Networking is the biggest one)

I have no issue with networking under vista, nor does it seem any more difficult than xp?

If it's about Macs: I could tell you why "I" like Macs better than PCs but I have a strange feeling y'all don't want to hear that regardless of what my needs/wants are. Sometimes its like y'all just want to bash shit just for the hell of it whether it be Macs, leafsprings, rap music, rich people, or whatever else you feel you are rebelling against. So much effort for something that has no bearing on your life.

I will say why, because I am kat who drives a yellow bug and has blue hair and overall does not care about others opinions against her :lol:
As for the OS itself, I enjoy the obvious security as far as viruses go. I like the interface better as personal preference. The floating windows in applications makes it easier to multitask like watching movies when I am using photoshop etc. Watch top gear while doing my design work? excellent. Expose is awesome because I can monitor a half dozen windows at a time, like checking my incoming IMs and torrents at the same time. Since i used windows for so many years I got used to the setup so I found windows equivalents for everything. Things that get a lot of complaints from windows users like lack of recent applications, task manager etc. are already built in and anyone who is computer knowledgeable can set it up to be just as accessible. Honestly when you get down to how they run, intel macs are very similar to PCs so it's just a couple of tiny things. My favorite 3rd party app is 1password, which saves all passwords from everything. That I would need to find an equivalent of before I could ever go back to windows because I would go insane without it now that I am spoiled. I will say I am not a computer game fan. I prefer console games so I don't care I have to boot up parallels for the few PC games I like.
Apple itself, is why it is worth the money. The reason why I like this laptop is I have dropped it on the floor, then landed on it and only made a dent. Never had any issue with it from that either. I also like that I can take it to the store and they fix it in front of me for free. Also if they don't it is metal and I can hit them with it! Anyway, sturdy as fuck laptop + best support for any electronic company I've seen = massive win in my book.

How is that a good thing. It took me forever when i first used vista to setup the networking after vista had failed utterly to automate it

No offense whatsoever, but maybe you should stick to Macs.

I don't hate Macs, I think they have certain advantages over PCs and are better for certain uses, but I like to be given lots of options and ways to tweak my system the way I like it.

OS X simply falls behind in that department over Windows. Networking isn't difficult in Windows, probably just more so than on Macs. People who don't like to tinker a lot with their machines have every reason to stick to Apple. :)

If I want to manufacture biological weapons with my copy of iTunes, I will, fascists. Ditch this bullshit.
Maddox is still funny?? Unpossible! He's made a pact with Satan.

Now, okay... maybe it's just because I can't be bothered to learn, but I actually find troubleshooting stuff in Vista (especially Networking) frustrating. I couldn't really tell you why at the moment, but to me, it just seems so... unintuitive.

Last edited:

Never used a MAC and i would only buy one if i was planing to seriously use final cut pro (However i'd probably use avid under windows). Not sure why you'd assume i use a MAC because i hate vista...

I have no issue with networking under vista, nor does it seem any more difficult than xp?

In the xp installation you manually setup all the networking options and as a result when you get into windows the first time it works. (after you install the ethernet drivers). The vista installation automates that process and it sets it up wrong (it has done 3 times for me) and when you get into vista for your very first time, all the networking options have changed since xp and you have to go digging through menus to find the proper, meaty options to set the dam thing up correctly.

Last edited: