Isle of Man going new ways in dealing with Filesharing

Interrobang

Forum Addict
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...nlimited-music-downloads-for-one-off-fee.html
The self-governing British crown dependency in the Irish sea, with a population of 80,000, wants to introduce a compulsory blanket licence for music downloads.

Broadband ISP subscribers would pay a "nominal" compulsory tax, but be able to share music legally.

The proposal was unveiled during the Midem international music market and conference in Cannes.

Ron Berry, inward investment manager for the Isle of Man government, said: "At the end of the day, we are not going to stop piracy, so let's embrace it."

"This gives us the unique opportunity to lead the way in music licensing. The proposal is a culmination of a year's negotiations with key partners in the industry which began at Midem in 2008."

Mr Berry added that it was still inviting input from rights holders to ensure that it is a long-term solution. He also suggested the system could affect the business models of commercial digital download services on the island.

"A blanket license for ISPs to allow their subscribers to download music for non commercial use as an intrinsic part of their monthly ISP or MSP [mobile service provider] charge is the way forward. [...]
Personally I think this is the right way. Yes, it is a new tax (of sorts), but then it would ensure the artists and copyright owners getting paid while you don?t have to worry about moral or legal matters. Apart from that, I think just having that kind of tax just for Music, is a bit 2002. It?s 2009, People don?t just download Music illegally anymore. It?s the age of broadband ...

Another Question is, if such a step would only be taken on the isle of man, and only there - won?t other countries try to lock out Isle of Man IPs?

Similarly to the way they put a built-in fee to blank tapes and "Audio" blank CDs, I suppose.

Have to say, I would happily pay a "nominal" monthly fee in order to access unlimited music and video files, sans DRM.

Having said that, I fear it's straightforward enough on an island of 80,000, but unlikely to happen across the UK or the US.

It's the way to go. Even if pirates have been proven to buy twice as much music as non pirates.

But if this is the sollution, why not?

It's been suggested here in the pirate bay as well, give it an election and it may come true. I think it's a logical and fair. I actually stopped downloading MP3's a long time ago, I have Spotify and the radio.

This isn't the solution. The way it can work in other countries, is charge ppl for extra "music sharing" service, add money to a fund to pay off fees on copyright infridgement cases against users of certain network/isp.

Actually the whole thing is not needed at all. Encrypted p2p is almost ready, will be released sometime this year, this way whatever you are downloading via torrent won't even be trace'able using ISP logs, therefore it will be impossible to trace what you've actually downloaded.

I heard about something similar being proposed over here in .be. I'm all for it. I'd be quite happy to pay a once a year fee like 50?, and be able to download anything legally...

trouble is, how can they trace where you're downloading from? And if they do, doesn't it mean the country you're downloading from can decide whether it's legal or not?

[...]Actually the whole thing is not needed at all. Encrypted p2p is almost ready, will be released sometime this year, this way whatever you are downloading via torrent won't even be trace'able using ISP logs, therefore it will be impossible to trace what you've actually downloaded.
... so you generally don?t acknowledge that mp3 or whatever Files you can have online are someones work and they should get paid for that, or am I misunderstanding you?

I do acknowledge that those works are not something free that you should just take and use however you want, and that People or Companies do have the right to get paid (in what form or height can or should certainly be debated) for what they do. What I?m not in for is letting People at the "mercy" of RIAA or MPAA (and related organisations) with their laywers and lobbyists. Having a way that keeps the copyright-owners paid and filesharers out of trouble would be an ideal solution for the time being, IMO.

Last edited:
... so you generally don?t acknowledge that mp3 or whatever Files you can have online are someones work and they should get paid for that, or am I misunderstanding you?

I do acknowledge that those works are not something free that you should just take and use however you want, and that People or Companies do have the right to get paid (in what form or height can or should certainly be debated) for what they do. What I?m not in for is letting People at the "mercy" of RIAA or MPAA (and related organisations) with their laywers and lobbyists. Having a way that keeps the copyright-owners paid and filesharers out of trouble would be an ideal solution for the time being, IMO.

I do of course, but, IMO, the whole system should be changed, before the idea of unlimited digital distribution for certain fixed fee can be even introduced.

Problems are:

1. Most of the money made on 99% of musical albums (except for biggest celebrities) goes to record/production companies, rather than artists themselves, which is why those companies are fighting so hard.

2. In 90% of all the cases there is no way to try out the music before actually buying it, unless you hear it on the radio or some1 shares it, so there's no way to check it out before buying, this way all the talentless "money" projects would simply die off.

3. 13$ for a CD is quite costly at least for me, since i'm always looking to discover something new and interesting.

What could really be done:

1. All music should be available in good quality for free download from official sources with "file expiration date", so it only can be played on a computer or portable player for a limited period of time, let's say 24 hours.

2. 13$ should be the cost of a DVD, which should include musical tracks (DVD-Audio 7.1 quality), video clips and preferably some bonus material.

Overall my complaint is, the majority of musi? is quite badly written, and if you take away all the digital garnish there isn't a proper musician behind it, so most of it smells like a rip-off.

What piracy really creates is a filter for low quality product, sort of a shadow competitor, no matter if it's music, movies or computer games. As i see it, in the last couple of years there's been a lot less crappy PC games than before, only the good stuff gets released, cause most of the gamers will download it, try it out, then if they liked it - buy it and continue playing via multiplayer or whatever.

Basically computer gaming moved on from "Pay then Eat", the fastfood method, to "Eat then Pay", the restaurant method, and i quite like that.

P.S. 50$ /year is miserable amount of money for unlimited downloads, as it's just 4 CDs/year and you can download those four in a minute. If the deal is even negotiable the price will be 100 times as much per user, and it's the ISP who will be charged to pay it, therefore for regular users it will be even more expensive.

Last edited:
Most of us pirates ackowledge that.

Thing is, I for one, do not acknowledge that piracy actually means a loss for the artist, studios or anybody else.

Met a cop recently, he admitted being a pirate, and he'd never ever bought more films than now. The same goes for me. I also remember research from a Canadian firm showing that pirates bought twice as much as non-pirates.

Most of us pirates ackowledge that.

Thing is, I for one, do not acknowledge that piracy actually means a loss for the artist, studios or anybody else.

Met a cop recently, he admitted being a pirate, and he'd never ever bought more films than now. The same goes for me. I also remember research from a Canadian firm showing that pirates bought twice as much as non-pirates.

I can see that. I still buy music/movies that I really want. Its still nice to have a hard copy.

I can see that. I still buy music/movies that I really want. Its still nice to have a hard copy.

Me, too. I'm more likely to buy something I have no information on if I can try it out first...which I've done SOOOOO many times.

Shit, back in the Napster days, I discovered SOOOO much music. You'd start downloading a song you like from some guy, and then you browse all the music that guy also has, and see "if he likes this one song I like, what else does he like that I might like?" I've "discovered" SOOO much music that way, that ended up in my CD collection.

This whole problem is due to costs. The music biz is wedded to a business model that is now out of date, music should be much much cheaper per track. There is the IT infrastructure to pay for but no jewel cases, printing or CD to burn. So if you want to download make the cost really really small and people will buy loads and loads of tracks.

If you want Pics and info on the bands, tickets for live shows the pay for them normally. What you could get is many versions of the same song by the same band reworking the music, I am sure that real fans would buy their favoutrite tracks over and over again and discuss the best version.

A way to go may be to buy the blanket pass, I would do it by a catalogue system where you could peruse an extensive list of tracks and select the catalogue you want access to.

The record company would keep adding tracks to keep it fresh. Also it may give you a discount for the re-worked tracks I already mention - I have not thought that through yet.

Last edited:
Most bands make their money from touring, not through record sales. Of course you need your music to be heard in order for people to want to come to your gigs... so the future is probably in free downloads (the lure) and more live shows (the $$$). Now for dead artists, that could be tricky, but do they need the money?

This may upset the record companies, but that's the way it goes. You can't undo technology like filesharing.