What Defines "Sporty"?

I consider 911 to be sportier than any Ferrari, always and for one simple thing: proper manual stickshift vs. flappy paddles.

For some reason that single line has turned me into an instant 911 fan. It was inevitable really though, wasn't it? <_<

For me, sportiness is all about how the car makes you feel, how it wills you to take the long, fun way home, how it makes you go for a drive down a windy stretch of road for the sheer hell of it.

It's not about outright grip - it's about handling, how the car turns into & goes around a corner, what it feeds back to driver.

It's not about outright power - it's how the motor responds with enthusiasm, and sounds like it's encouraging you to wind it out. How the gearshift is slick and quick, how the steering talks you through the corner.

How the car makes you smile like a loon because of the emotion it stirs in you & how it begs & requires you to drive it, not just point & steer it.

God I miss my MK1 MR2.

You are exactly right.

EDIT: You sold a Mk1 MR2!? :wall: Never do that!
Buy another one, or an S2000 or something. I could never part with my car.

To me, it means when a car can bloody handle a fucking good thrashing on the track and making the driver smile.

It must handle corners well before it's considered "Sporty" for me.

With the PDK and other coming advances...that may not be true anymore... :p

Sporty defined, to me, is what ever Google decides it is:

http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/3761/389365671503lzzzzzzztq2.jpg

/.... eh.... whatever....
//I'm feelin' lucky!
///and drunk.

:lol:

This is what you will see in most 911's.

*snip*shlushbox*snip*

That only proves the idiot who bought it is a middleaged fat bloke, who knows less about driving then a vietnamese fisherman and defines watching Nascar on ESPN as a sporty afternoon.

Last edited:
That only proves the idiot who bought it is a middleaged fat bloke, who knows less about driving then a vietnamese fisherman and defines watching Nascar on ESPN as a sporty afternoon.

It also proves Ferrari's are more sporty than a 911.
PS. Yes i realise the 400i and 456 came with the automatic option.

Manual>>>>>>>>>>Flappy paddle gearbox>>>>>>>>>>automatic.

It also proves Ferrari's are more sporty than a 911.
PS. Yes i realise the 400i and 456 came with the automatic option.

Manual>>>>>>>>>>Flappy paddle gearbox>>>>>>>>>>automatic.

And as far as I know Ferrari doesn't have a manual gearbox even as an option and hasn't had I think since F355, whereas Porsche still has the manual stickshift as standard. You have to want the automatic as an option which only renders the buyer as a clot, not the car.

Therefore Porsche still is sportier than Ferrari.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Hmmmmm....I stand corrected. That's funny because I don't recall a single review stating that it would be even possible to have a manual. If they have this in the 599, will they also put it in their other cars as well if the customer so wants. Or is it specifically for the 599 ? This has me very confused indeed. I'm still not backing down on my argument Porsche being more sportire than Ferrari, but this manual in a Ferrari is completely new to me.

Hmmmmm....I stand corrected. That's funny because I don't recall a single review stating that it would be even possible to have a manual. If they have this in the 599, will they also put it in their other cars as well if the customer so wants. Or is it specifically for the 599 ? This has me very confused indeed. I'm still not backing down on my argument Porsche being more sportire than Ferrari, but this manual in a Ferrari is completely new to me.

From Edmunds.com on the F430:
The 2008 Ferrari F430 features a 4.3-liter V8 placed behind the cabin amidships. This naturally aspirated engine produces a thoroughly impressive 483 hp at 8,500 rpm and 343 pound-feet of torque at 5,250, sent to the rear wheels via a traditional six-speed manual transmission (with an old-school gated shifter). Optional is an automated-clutch manual known as the F1, controlled by paddle shifters mounted to the steering column.

From the 360 Modena:
int1.jpg

From a 456
P020Web.jpg

Looks like since the 355 ended production (99) only the Enzo, the 575, and the 612 were not avail with a shifter...
Ferrari 550
Ferrari_550_interior.jpg

Last edited:
Ferrari and Lamborghini want you to buy the flappy paddles. Both have a policy that dealers cannot order standard manuals for dealer stock, only F1 and E-Gear. To get the clutch pedal and stick you have to order it.

It just makes sense. You KNOW that anyone wanting a "right now" Ferrari or Lambo couldn't possibly care how it's equipped, so they add on every option to get as much profit out of the sale as possible.

I am so baffled, I'm going to have rethink my priorities about Ferrari and Porsche, seems I have putting Ferrari down for nothing. Why the hell would anyone buy the flappypaddle if you can just as well have a 6-speed manual, especially since that old school shifter gate looks so awesome and makes the whole interior look se much better. I really don't understand rich people....

F430, in flat black with 6-speed manual box........mmmmmmmm....me likes.

Last edited:
I am so baffled, I'm going to have rethink my priorities here about Ferrari and Porsche, seems I have putting Ferrari down for nothing. Why the hell would anyone buy the flappypaddle if you can just as well have a 6-speed manual, especially since that old school shifter gate looks so awesome and makes the whole interior look se much better. I really don't understand rich people....

F430, in flat black with 6-speed manual box........mmmmmmmm....me likes.

Because it's harder to drive around down Rodeo Drive in their heels, and there isn't enough room for your small dog to rest at your feet with that nasty clutch pedal in the way. Plus, most will agree that the modern flappy-paddle shifters will win you the race...you just won't have as much fun getting to the finish line.