Clarkson: Clarksons review of the XJR from 1997

benspray

Hi all..

Been trying to find the episode of top gear from 1997 (estimate somewhere between June and October) that featured the new XJR v8, reg number on the car was P767 NRW, I now own the car so Im trying to get hold of a copy of the episode but cant find it anywhere.

heres a low quality clip of what has been found so far

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/DementedMonkey_co_uk/?action=view&current=ClarksonXJR84.flv

It was also in the October 1997 edition of top gear magazine if that helps date the tv episode?

Any ideas? any one got the episode?

Cheers
Ben

I would check one of the FTP's for the episodes from 1997. I've seen the review before so chances are that it was uploaded here before.

Hi cheers, unless Im missing them though they only appear to be on here up until June, I think this was after that time. Any links to other sources?

Cheers
Ben

Hey Ben are you a Jaguar owner? They do have a great segment from one of JC dvds with JC in a V8 XJR vs Tiff in a E39 M5 very good stuff! Let me know if ud like help finding out which one, id be happy to look for you

Interesting to see what that the most powerful 4-door car of the time was producing 370 bhp.

Technically, that's untrue. Before the Bentley Arnage debuted, there was the Bentley Turbo RT which was on sale in very limited production in 1997 and 1998. The Turbo RT had 400hp and close to 600 lb/ft of torque, thus making it more powerful than the XJR from that year.

Hey Ben are you a Jaguar owner? They do have a great segment from one of JC dvds with JC in a V8 XJR vs Tiff in a E39 M5 very good stuff! Let me know if ud like help finding out which one, id be happy to look for you

Hi yeah, the car featured in that top gear clip is mine, also found in top gear magazine, car magazine and a front cover feature in autocar :) still finding more.. but would really like that top gear episode.
I think the xjr vs m5 was a later car I do remember seeing that one very good clip as well cheers.

Ben

Do you still have your xjr?
Thats really sweet if you do! Post pics in the "Post pics of your car" section. Lots of people will have good things to say about it.

Last edited:
Can't help with a source of the clip but if it's the one I'm thinking of it contains a classic Clarksonism - having commented that the boot space and rear leg room were less than might be expected he then goes on to say something like "but let's face with a car this good, if you want more space..........buy a field."

A mate rang me at the time it was on and he was still pissing himself. The car's a sort of dark metallic turquoise colour am I right?