Honda North America can go **** a **** while *****ing a **** *** *****

If you cause a problem on my car, while it's in *your* care. I will make your life a living hell.

OT, but that's why I now do all my own vehicle repairs. And consequently, all the work on most of my family's cars too. :lol:

That's why I pull my own work on my fleet most of the time.

Anyone causing a problem with one of my Jags while working on it will either make it right immediately or they will be experiencing the joy of being on the receiving end of a cattle prod. For starters.

The local Mercedes dealership always manages to mark the B-class somehow when it's in the shop. The light interior shows some new scuffs every time, and now one door has a slight white ding. It'll polish off, but it's annoying to find something new every time it goes in to be fixed (only car in the family that's ever needed a tow truck, and it's needed one several times. Even the constantly-hiccuping 1982 Ascona always made it home by itself).

With the exception of having a very large weight now strung around your neck, I had a very similar experience with Sprint. I was a customer of theirs for 8+ years and since the start of this year they have been giving me the run around over a phone they solicited me for. All said, they gave me a bunch of credits on my bill, of which I am waiting to fully use up before I switch to another carrier.

+1 for standing strong and believing in what's right, general consideration for what's just.

Wouldn't you get more money selling it on Craigslist? A trade-in yields far less money.

Wouldn't you get more money selling it on Craigslist? A trade-in yields far less money.

Yeah but I would also assume that it would be a PITA trying to explain to some regular person the story about the mileage AND make sure they dont try to come back and bite you.

A while back I was looking at getting a new speedo for my Harley with built in rev counter but when I found out that I would bet set to 0 if I did that myself so screw it.

But I remember a while back when I use to screw around with an VAGCOM (VWs Spec of ODBII) it had an option that let you increase the millage once on the car. I dont remember if it had an max or something, but I dont see the problem in allowing someone to push it forward vs running it back.

Yeah but I would also assume that it would be a PITA trying to explain to some regular person the story about the mileage AND make sure they dont try to come back and bite you.

I was thinking of advertising the car with the correct mileage and disclosing the odometer issue at the same time. When I sold our Lincoln Mark VIII on Craigslist I disclosed everything before the guy ever came to see it. Do the title transfer at the DMV and you're all set, no hassle. The dealer is going to give you the least amount of money anyways.

I'm aware you get the least amount from a trade-in, you're missing the point!

If you cause a problem on my car, while it's in *your* care. I will make your life a living hell.

But they didn't cause a problem, they fixed it, without protest for months and months. And they've been doing it WITHIN the law.

But they didn't cause a problem, they fixed it, without protest for months and months. And they've been doing it WITHIN the law.
What? Law aside, they fucked him over! Not even the dealership who did the repair will buy the car for a fair price. This after they told him that this was standard policy, that everything would be fine, etc etc etc. They half-assed the repair, it put a 3 thousand dollar dent in the cars value, and that's okay?

I'm aware you get the least amount from a trade-in, you're missing the point!

So is this more about the principle of the matter? I would just forget all this crap, it seems like it would be too stressful and time-consuming to get the odometer fixed when you could just sell it on your own. Your car still has retained its value regardless of what some Ford dealership says (I still think they're trying to hose you).

So is this more about the principle of the matter? I would just forget all this crap, it seems like it would be too stressful and time-consuming to get the odometer fixed when you could just sell it on your own. Your car still has retained its value regardless of what some Ford dealership says (I still think they're trying to hose you).

Read the thread, I've already had one private-party sale disappear because they got scared off by the odometer.

To recap

• Can't sell it privately for it's fair value because of the repair
  • Can't trade it for fair value because of the repair
  • Even the dealer that did the repair doesn't want it - and if they do take it will give me a fraction of the car's trade-in value.
And yes, it is the principle of the thing, but in addition to that there are very tangible consequences for the botched repair.

Last edited:
Hey, Blind_Io - you did email it to consumerist.com and not theconsumerist.com, right?

Yeah, that's the place. My bad on the poor communication skills.

• Even the dealer that did the repair doesn't want it - and if they do take it will give me a fraction of the car's trade-in value.

What the hell? Why did I think you went to a Ford dealership to buy a Ranger? You mean the dealership that did the "repair" is the same one with the new truck you want? If so that's seriously jacked up.

I went to a Ford dealer that's north of the Bay Area, where I found out the bad news. I then went to the dealer that did the repair to see what they had to say (they had an 08 Tacoma on the lot that I couldn't afford, but it served the purpose to talk to the sales guy). The sales guy didn't even look at my car, I explained the repair and what I found at Ford and he said, "Yup, that sounds about right for a car with that problem."

What problem? According to Honda North America there is no problem because you "fixed" it! They won't give me a fair trade for the car because of their own repair work!

Blind_Io, I promise never to buy a Honda/Acura product ever just because they fucked you over. After reading the whole thread I'm honestly really pissed off because I had a similar situation with my phone (the sales guy told me I had free internet on my blackberry and I wouldn't ever have to pay for it, but it turns out that was true but only for the first month which he never explained...). It's really sad, but I think your best option is to just try to get the odometer fixed yourself. Because if you think about it, all other options will just cause you to have to pay more money.

Not that I was ever going to spend money on a Honda but now I got more reason than simple lack of any torque.

Blind_Io, I promise never to buy a Honda/Acura product ever just because they fucked you over. After reading the whole thread I'm honestly really pissed off because I had a similar situation with my phone (the sales guy told me I had free internet on my blackberry and I wouldn't ever have to pay for it, but it turns out that was true but only for the first month which he never explained...). It's really sad, but I think your best option is to just try to get the odometer fixed yourself. Because if you think about it, all other options will just cause you to have to pay more money.

I'm never buying a honda....

I am a dealer and because of the way the repair was done on Dave's Civic that vehicle is officially a TMU car.

The only reason to consider it a TMU is ignorance. The car's mileage was noted in accordance to law with the sticker. If the sticker is not there or unreadable, then you might have a TMU issue, but in this case it's not.

The truth is, anyone claiming this particular car is TMU is committing fraud. Full stop.

Steve

I'm never buying a honda....

Blind_Io, I promise never to buy a Honda/Acura product ever just because they fucked you over.

rofl, you okes are brilliant. It's was the dealership that fucked over Blind, not Honda itself.

Honda North America is partly guilty too, since the dealers followed the procedure and they are not prepared to solve a customer's problem.

That said, this type of hiccups can happen to every car manufacturer. I'm very happy with my Hondas, both of them. They are cheap and reliable, and easily replaceable. Great commuting tool.