I am going to get a Tata Nano....yay?

hail2tfreeman

Car(s)
Ford Fiesta LX TDCI,NANO(booked)
TATA Nano

Yes thats right the TATA Nano, billed as the cheapest car ever at
Model type...........Price(in Rupees) ......Price(in british punds)
Nano...........................95,000.....................1,295
Nano CX......................1,25,000....................1,703
Nano LX.......................1,40,000....................1,908

For full details(if I posted all the details this post would be much longer) Visit heir site at http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=168

Anyways,the Nano has made quite a stir down here in India especially since the bookings have stared and will be ending on the 25th of April.

I have booked this car(my Parents insisted....repeatedly) on my name although my parents are helping me with the cash.

The variant which I have booked is the LX version, which has A/c and front power windows(WOW!!!):rolleyes:
I went for the silver color,the gold one looked stupid.

When I went down to the showroom to see the car I was expecting a pencil box with four soda bottle caps as wheels on it. but I have to say it is better than I expected it is a really small car like creature..

Well I had my camera phone on me so I decided to film myself with the Nano and since all the cars in my family ,since the MarutiSuzuki 800's, the main factor is whether my big brother would fit(He's around 6ft 6inch,130kg{others cant make out though?} and three years older to me).

So I decided to see how the Nano would stack up to the Fat Bastarrrgh!!
:bangin::evil::bangin:
Most Glorious and Mighty, Most Benevolent and Mercyfull BigBrother of mine.

He's right behind me!!

And also a very basic first impressions of the Nano by me.
Mind you I did it all in one go so don't expect Top gear Quality of production here.

Heres the video link,Please vote,leave comments and give my video a rating

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1BekqbyEw[/YOUTUBE]

the Link-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1BekqbyEw

P.S. I will be going back to the showroom to check it out again...So if thers anything you guys want to know about the car I would be happy to check it out.
I'll even make another video(better one hopefully) with your suggestions.

I understand it's cheap, but does your country not have banger cars? I mean, the Nano is not a car, it's a disgrace to what cars are all about. The nano degrades cars to just means of transport, instad of engineering feats. I understand that there might not be options in India, but I just can't get myself to like that tin can on wheels, it's the least passionate disgrace of a car ever made.

For clarification:

This is a CAR:
C825-25.JPG

This is a DISGRACE:
tata-nano-1.jpg

Thanks still for the vid etc. and tell your brother to shave his moustach?. :)

I was somehow thinking it would be similar to city cars from the West, but it looks really basic.

Not sure I could ever have any fun in that thing, but I don't agree with Posmo, not all cars need to be engineering marvels or even have been built with great passion... but it does need at least a bit of character to keep you interested, which the Nano does not have.

I thought it was a joke when I saw the title of the thread.

But then I saw your post... looks like you are serious about this.

I've never driven a Tata, despite their main dealership in Durban is like 10min away from my house. Honestly, most South Africans just go with a Citi Golf if they can't afford an expensive car, maybe you should do the same.

Oh, City Golfs cost $2,500 in South Africa? Great deal.

Give the guy a break... this is india where talking about and the nano might look like a wheeliebin to us but it sure is cheap, so i can totally understand why someone in india would go for one :cheap reliable (at least I hope) basic transportation....
Its not innovative, its not cool, its not big, and certainly isnt sporty or luxurios, i'm not even sure its a car.... but its transportation....and for the average indian i can imagine having your own 'car' realy isnt that common so when it happens they are gonna get a great sence of satisfaction and accomplishment, even if it is a nano.

Have fun with it!

Oh, City Golfs cost $2,500 in South Africa? Great deal.

lol no, much more than that. But it's worth it IMO.

Tata is just so...... tata.

lol no, much more than that. But it's worth it IMO.

Tata is just so...... tata.

Exactly my point. I would rather drive a 20 year-old Lada Samara than get a Nano. Hell, when a 35 year old 1.1 VW golf is more desirable, there is something wrong with the product.

looks like a bubble. does it float like Beetle does?

Exactly my point. I would rather drive a 20 year-old Lada Samara than get a Nano. Hell, when a 35 year old 1.1 VW golf is more desirable, there is something wrong with the product.

The CitiGolf is probably the more modern car if you compare it to the Samara.. :mrgreen:
Do they still make the Samara? I think they quit importing them here in 2005.

Last edited:
Give the guy a break
+1

I quite like the Nano for what it is, a new car for less than ?2000. Sure its got a center mounted speedo, but unlike on a >?9000 Yaris, I can see why they're doing it. It seats four, looks okay, and again, in the realm of new cars, you cannot beat the value for money of this thing. The rear suspension is a semi trailing arm by the way, proven design used on millions of cars.
What I would like to see (especially on your LX) is a door mirror on the left side, I think they can afford that. No way of fitting a stereo I assume?

Last edited:
Most people who haven't lived in India or a similar country do not get motoring in India.

Over there, for the vast majority, a car is simply a tool to get from A to B, there nothing more than that, no character, no pedigree, no BS. It is a developing nation, and the ability to actively choose between different models of cars doesn't really come into play to a good percentage of the population. What sells in India are therefore cheap means of transportation. The cheaper, the more it will sell. Think of the Maruti 800 (although yes, that car was a symbol rather than a means to transportation)

Tata (the guy) is a visionary. I remember when I grew up, all the buses were made by Tata, I know this because when I was growing up there were just two kinds of buses, TATA and so called State Transport Buses, made by Ashok Leyland. Tata wanted to mobilise the country, and the only way to do it is to build a car about as cheap as it gets. (Remember, in India, cheap directly translates to affordable) And he has.

I still remember when he first declared he wanted to build such a car, and I thought he was nuts, but then he delivered. His promise was not to deliver a new passion filled furball sprayed with angel dust, but rather to make the cheapest car possible, and he did.

Judging the Nano for not having a character is the same as judging a racecar for not having leather interior.

You guys are mean fucks :lol: ... i'd rather have a Nano than use public transportation/walking/bicycle.

You guys are mean fucks :lol: ... i'd rather have a Nano than use public transportation/walking/bicycle.

Precisely. Walking, cycling in India is a deathtrap. I've lost some friends that way. Given the choice between air and a sheet of metal between me and an impacting object, I'd choose the sheet of metal :)

This is a CAR:
C825-25.JPG

I have one of these as a Race car (2L engine, 4.55 LSD, cage etc etc etc) and up the back of the shop we have a Australian built one.....well that ones just a Ti not a Super....

For the great unwashed, its a Alfa Romoe Gulia Super.... :D :D :D

re the Nano: I actually like it, think of a early Mini (before the cooper rubbish) but add curry :) I reckon it'd be a cool 'lil car

You guys need to understand: for most people, a motorcycle or scooter is a first vehicle. I do understand why he is happy about getting a nano.

Don't forget that every purchase of a Nano will indirectly fund Jaguar.

I have one of these as a Race car (2L engine, 4.55 LSD, cage etc etc etc) and up the back of the shop we have a Australian built one.....well that ones just a Ti not a Super....

For the great unwashed, its a Alfa Romoe Gulia Super.... :D :D :D

re the Nano: I actually like it, think of a early Mini (before the cooper rubbish) but add curry :) I reckon it'd be a cool 'lil car

Wait.. You OWN a Giulia super?!? Pics in the "Post your car" thread at once!:p

Short of a battle tank that is the perfect car for India, something you can chuck in and out of small gaps in traffic and it should be easy to get parts and fix when you need to.