Jaguars....

You're all confused. Dashboards shouldn't resemble an arcade game machine with Pac-Man's prototype-demo running on it.

http://img50.imageshack.**/img50/5788/bugatti20veyron20bleu20.jpg

How about bathroom scales?

http://img17.imageshack.**/img17/9185/796pxcitroencxdashboard.jpg

Heh.

Thing is, Jaguar already did a digital dash. From the 88-89 XJ40:

INSTRUMENT%20CLUSTER.JPG

7_1106265365.JPG

Sorry I can't find better pictures. Most of these failed long ago and have been replaced by the non-digital versions. That's what Jaguar gets for returning to Lucas. :p

How about bathroom scales?

http://img17.imageshack.**/img17/9185/796pxcitroencxdashboard.jpg

The guys with the early XJ-S models are really screwed. Not only is it difficult to put aftermarket gauges in them, they get stuck with "comedy instruments" that look like analog bathroom scales.

instrumet1.jpg

Last edited:
The scales actually make sense. They show how heavily you stomp on the pedal, anyway.

Didn't the Jag dash complain about "bulb failure" etc all the time?

The scales actually make sense. They show how heavily you stomp on the pedal, anyway.

Didn't the Jag dash complain about "bulb failure" etc all the time?

Yeah, if you put the wrong lightbulb in one of the exterior lighting sockets or didn't clean corrosion out of same - which was pretty common. That's a user failure not a part failure, though. BMWs and Nissans with the bulb check circuitry, despite systems from different makers and different countries, do the same thing.

No, the Jag digital dash's main mode of failure was that one, more, or all of the displays would randomly shut off. Sometimes they wouldn't come back. Finding an XJ40 with that dash that still works 100% is exceedingly rare.

Then again, finding an 88-89 XJ40 that still works period is rare, so I suppose that's not surprising.

As for the XJ-S dashboard, the comedy vertical scale instruments were, IIRC, totally bespoke and made first by Smiths and then by Veglia. They're not bad in terms of reliability, but man are they ugly and hard to read.

Last edited:
Saab Aero-X: Coolest gauge cluster ever

2006-Saab-Aero-X-Concept-Gauge-1024x768.jpg

^^^ Also the most unreadable. Way to go, Saab!

If you are looking at it straight on it would be very clear.

^^^This engine only revs to 650RPM?

6500. Look at the scale.

Better than the 5500 my XJ6 tops out at - but the Saab was a 2.8L TT-V6 running on bio-ethanol. It's got a 89.00 mm bore and a 74.80 mm stroke and since it runs ethanol it runs hot. That reduces your available piston speed (if you don't want things to melt) so....

6500. Look at the scale.

Better than the 5500 my XJ6 tops out at - but the Saab was a 2.8L TT-V6 running on bio-ethanol. It's got a 89.00 mm bore and a 74.80 mm stroke and since it runs ethanol it runs hot. That reduces your available piston speed (if you don't want things to melt) so....

No he's right. It says x100. 6.5 x 100 =650. Nice job Saab, nice job.

No he's right. It says x100. 6.5 x 100 =650. Nice job Saab, nice job.

Heh, I didn't catch that. Whoops.

Well, they are a division of GM, and as such have GM "kwalitee", so I suppose this is to be expected...

I'm with Spectre on this one.
I love digital dashes!

I don't understand why they didn't catch on. Here is one from a C4 Vette:
1985-corvette-3.jpg

you sir, are right... it depends on the car though, it has to be an 80s one, it doesn't work on newer cars...

LOL, if you're talking about digital dashes, my grandfather had the digital dash on his brand new Corvette and it was a disaster. This was before my time, but the story goes that the fuel gauge would just randomly display the wrong fuel level, and he was constantly running on 3/4 of a tank only to find himself stranded on the side of the road. Brilliant technology that 80s stuff.