Engineers! UNITE!

My big problem with fluid mechanics has always been that everything's based off experimental work rather than the experiments confirming the theory.

I learn by doing hands on stuff (ie experiments), but since we're all surrounded by bullshit OHS crap these days the only method of learning available is listening to lecturers and reading notes.......

We were supposed to use the new supersonic flow simulators this semester, but OHS shit put a halt to that :mad:

Beginning of June? How's the car going?

Urgh, we've had some major setbacks, primary among them a team member that said he'd done a large amount of cost reporting, then suddenly quit the team a week before costing was due and we found out he hadn't actually done any at all. And every part he'd designed that we had fabbed, was designed horribly wrong. So, basically we lost a lot of time making up for his "work" but things are going a lot smoother now.

Where in California?

Auto Club Speedway out in Fontana.

Out of interest, does anyone here compete in Formula SAE?

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between FSAE and the Formula Student?
I'm not a member of the team myself but I watch the design of the 09 car closely. Roll out is june 10th so its getting close! Definitely going to join next year :D

Engineering/science to acting? Thats a pretty big switch.

yep! it was a pretty big change, but i went to uni straight from high school,
i still love science, but i needed more creativity.
graduated from acting course 1 1/2 years ago, now i'm a photographer at a jeweller, and acting at the same time.

but i'm thinking of getting into interior architecture,.... not sure if i wanna spend another 4 years studying tho..

Post your major, concentration, university/institute/whatever, current year, and expected year of graduation.
Automotive Engineering
University of Adelaide
Year 2. Completion in end of 2011.

And I'm doing SAE as my honours in year 4. Might be involved as early as next year.

Last edited:
Formula Student and Formula SAE and essentially the same thing, if not exactly the same. The regulations for both are identical. It's just what the even is named in each region.

As for was nsx_23 said, that's so true. Especially at Monash. SAE goes some way to overcoming that, though.

@BerserkerCatSplat Are you guys going to come down to Aussie this year?

Last edited:
^Yeah, assuming you can get into the team in the first place :p

Yes. SAE > Exam.

Mechanical engineering,manufacturing
multimedia university,malaysia
graduated,working for 4+ months now.....

currently in textile factory....

yep! it was a pretty big change, but i went to uni straight from high school,
i still love science, but i needed more creativity.
graduated from acting course 1 1/2 years ago, now i'm a photographer at a jeweller, and acting at the same time.

but i'm thinking of getting into interior architecture,.... not sure if i wanna spend another 4 years studying tho..

Will be difficult finding jobs for it at the moment I imagine too.

We hope so, but the Aus race is during our final exams week for our first semester and we're not yet sure whether the institution will let us defer exams to go race. :(

Last year we ended up finishing the car during the exam period. It works well that way. There are no classes on to interrupt the exercise of car-building you see. Only those pesky inconveniences people call 'exams'. I'm sure the team wouldn't mind hosting a second international team if you guys came down.

How much would it cost to bring a car down under anyway?

I'm even more of an engineer now. Columbia University's School of Engineering & Applied Sciences, majoring in Computer Science, just graduated.

FSAE West was awesome, RIT fucking cleaned up! There was some crazy stuff, like Oregon tearing out their front suspension mounts and rebuilding it overnight, and Washington's engine/tranny swap done on a couple of oil barrels.

The Calgary team did better than any previous team, which was our goal for the year. We were 14th in AutoX, 7th in acceleration, and 5th in skidpad, despite having easily one of the heaviest and longest cars at the event (556lbs, 70" wheelbase) so there's a lot of slimming down to be done for next year. A tuning problem kept us from hot-starting at the endurance event, so we ended up in 22nd place overall, but we're aiming higher for next year.

Here's a link to the set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catsplat/sets/72157620520827313/

Last edited:
I hate computational mechanics I hate computational mechanics I hate computational mechanics I hate computational mechanics I hate computational mechanics I hate computational mechanics I hate computational mechanics

Sorry, Last exam today (for this semester), and its a fucken difficult one. Its on.............you guessed it: Computational Mechanics. Fucken Matlab coding, Runge-Kutta techniques, solving PDEs/ODEs by hand....grr...............

Wow that is one big car indeed. The team of the school I go to just rolled out the car for '09 and its 330 lbs and has a 60" wheelbase so thats quite a difference. Althought powerwise you guys might have the edge ;)

Nice set of shots btw!

josvanderplasnl-20090610-9713.jpg

Last edited:
I may be more prone towards Warwick now. It just seems a lot better than coventry as a uni, but doesn't have as nice facilities - although Coventry's were brand new and it is an ex-poly. Warwick is currently my first choice, but getting AAB for a Masters won't be easy.