Awesome Thread

yeah huge ships are awesome

but no matter how massive oil tankers get...

...battleships are always more awesome.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-15O-BTDw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJdinQQk1O8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Was gonna post this in random thoughts, but then thought hang on a minute, this is pretty damn awesome. It's a road train rocking up to a children's car wash fundraiser :cool:.

3-carwash-RS.jpg

Just a quick scrub, thanks

ALYSSA BETTS

May 18th, 2009

A FEW sudsy Territory teens found their sponges and buckets weren't quite up to the challenge during what was supposed to be a stock-standard car wash this weekend.

Jessica Capes, 17, and about 15 other Year 12 entrepreneurs were looking to raise funds for an end-of-year formal when a bloke called 'Boof' rocked up to ask if they'd wash his motor.

The motor turned out to be a road train with three trays.

"We used brooms and a forklift to wash it," Katherine High student Jessica said.

"We needed the forklift to get to the top.

"It took probably about six hours. He made sure we got all the spots."

The teenagers haggled over the bill for their services - scoring a respectable $300 in the end.

The group had set up on Saturday to do normal cars - and had made about $450 by the time Boof turned up.

"We washed motorbikes and caravans and dogs," Jessica said.

"I offered to wash someone's dog - he was in the back of the car - he was a pigging dog. He liked it."

She said the team were pretty pleased with their weekend efforts - although they had to return to clean the last two trays of Boof's semi yesterday.

"And we have to wash the truck again in six weeks' time - he's contracted us," Jessica said. "We're hoping to raise maybe four or five thousand dollars ... to pay for the venue, the band and take some money off the tickets."

At first, I thought they were painting it blue. :lol:

... and once he set off for his next journey they could watch the truck become dirty again...

Road trains are awesome.... shame they only have them in upside down land...

I think you can also find them in Central/South America and the larger Caribbean countries.

Wikipedia actually, but I'll admit I threw in the Caribbean bit because of FF4. :p

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-15O-BTDw[/YOUTUBE]

Whats really is that the battleship looks to be really close in the video but its actually close to 200m away.

f049602428fca975d011ab57c63b6d2b7a4a2f07.gif

In honour of a game that might never be released. :-(:boohoo:

Whats really is that the battleship looks to be really close in the video but its actually close to 200m away.

Seriously. I love how the sound and shockwave are noticeably lagging the actual firing.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/05/20/gm703F.jpg

Pardo's Push
Story by John L. Frisbee

Uncommon courage, Ingenuity, and skill were combined in a unique experience of the Vietnam War.

There are pilots who fly fighters, and there are fighter pilots. Retired Lt. Col.Bob Pardo is one of the latter. When he's not flying corporate jets inColorado, he's doing aerobatics in single-engine planes with fighter pilot friends.

Of the 132 missions he flew in Vietnam with the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, the most memorable is that of March 10, 1967, when he and his weapon system officer, Lt. Steve Wayne, went against steel mills near Hanoi. In their flight was Capt. Earl Aman and his "Guy in Back," Lt. Bob Houghton. The Hanoi area was the most heavily defended in the history of air warfare, and on that day enemy ground fire was the heaviest Captain Pardo had seen in his many trips downtown.

Before they reached the target, Captain Aman's F-4 was hit, but he was able to stay with the formation. As they were rolling in on the target, antiaircraft gunners found Aman again. His aircraft began to leak fuel rapidly. Pardo also was hit but was able to continue with the strike, though his F-4, too, was leaking fuel. By the time they were above 20,000 feet on their way out, it was obvious that Aman did not have enough fuel to reachLaos, where he and Houghton could bail out with a reasonable chance of being rescued. If they punched out over North Vietnam, they were almost certain to be captured and either killed or sent to reserved accommodations at the Hanoi Hilton .

Bob Pardo, on the other hand, probably had enough fuel, with careful management, to reach a tanker, leaving Aman and Houghton to an uncertain fate. That was not Pardo's way. "How can you fly off and leave someone you just fought a battle with?" asks Pardo. "The thought never occurred to me." He would stay as long as Aman's fuel lasted, then think of some way to get the two men to safety. Pardo didn't have long to think about it. While they were still over North Vietnam, Aman flamed out. What to do now? Desperate situations demand desperate measures. Pardo decided to do something that, to his knowledge, had not been done before. He would push Aman's F-4 to Laos. (In 1952, during the Korean War while Pardo was still in high school, fighter ace Robbie Risner had pushed his wingman out of North Korea in an F-86. Pilots then were ordered to refrain from attempting the hazardous act again, and the event, which Risner hardly ever mentioned, faded from memory.)

With delicate touch, Pardo brought the nose of his damaged aircraft into contact with Aman's F-4, now plunging toward the Laotian jungle at 250 knots. He soon found that the pointed nose of an F-4 was not designed for pushing anything more solid than air. After several failed attempts, Bob Pardo came up with a brilliant idea. He told Aman to drop his tailhook. He then maneuvered his windscreen against the tailhook. It worked, but about every thirty seconds Pardo would lose contact because of turbulence, then back off and come in again. It was an extraordinary job of flying. Aman's rate of descent was reduced to 1,500 feet per minute.

Their problems were not over. Pardo's left engine caught fire. He shut it down, then restarted it, and again it caught fire. Never mind that. He would be at zero fuel in ten minutes anyway. It was time for everyone to hit the silk. Aman and Houghton bailed out at 6,000 feet, followed shortly by Wayne and Pardo. Once on the ground, Aman and Houghton were pursued by the enemy but managed to elude them. All four men were picked up by rescue helicopters, Pardo, who bailed out last, was rescued forty-five minutes after the others, and returned to their base at Ubon RTAB, Thailand.

Bob Pardo was an instant hero to the other pilots but not to some higher echelon accountants, who threatened to bring charges against him for losing an expensive airplane. Good judgment prevailed, and the charges were dropped. Two decades later, he and Steve Wayne each were awarded the Silver Star for what came to be known as Pardo's Push, immortalized in a striking painting by aviation artist Steve Ferguson.

I remember reading about this years ago in Air & Space, but it recently crossed my in-box again. This is the definition of Awesome.

Wow. That?s the kind of guy I would pay a beer just to hear him tell this once again.

Sure everyone's seen this.... but this has to be the most awesome movie scene in the historie of awesome movie scenes.....

At about a minute in the dialoque becomes briljant....you can tell bay actualy lissende to the military personel he was working with, the awacs crew is in fact an actual awacscrew talking shop like they normaly would in a strike mission .....you simply cannot come up with techno/military talk that sounds so fregging awesome!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5KwiC-JiS8[/YOUTUBE]