"Chipped" credit cards: what's your take?

The chip and PIN era still start next year in Germany.

I work for a credit card company and we are already dreading the effect it will have on the customers. People hate to memorize one more PIN, even if they can choose it freely, and many are paranoid about their personal data.

P.S.: With the company I work for, you are protected against fraud. The worst what can happen, is that you are fined 50 Euros for gross negligence - but I have never seen it yet.

Over here if you are forced to input your PIN against your will you can put the number in backwards. This will allow you to withdraw money but at the same time will automatically alert the local authorities (without the other person knowing). I don't know if this is everywhere but I presume it is.

It is an urban myth.

Over here if you are forced to input your PIN against your will you can put the number in backwards. This will allow you to withdraw money but at the same time will automatically alert the local authorities (without the other person knowing). I don't know if this is everywhere but I presume it is.

So that's why I am having trouble with my PIN: 1221

:lol: Seriously, that sounds like a definite false urban myth.

False or not, I should think some real variation of it would be a prudent idea!

What stupid robbers. Why wouldn't you just wait until after someone puts in their PIN to take all their money? It's not like the card you steal from the person after you take their money is going to be of any value, since it's going to be immediately deactivated and/or tracked.

Had it over here quite some time. We still accept the old swipe card were i work, and we have a few Americans over on the estate with all the army houses on, always have to swipe theres. On a slightly lazy note, i find it easier to type a pin than sign :)