Wank to Argatoga's MG

I'd go for the brake upgrades over the suspension too. I'm in a similar situation with my S10 and my money is going to bigger brakes before it gets sway bars, new shocks, etc. And definitely before it gets more power or more gears.

Heh, when are you going to get around to driving that little beast? That just looks like such a fantastic combination.

Well I did drive it briefly between my finishing of the rear end and the starter dying :p. Once it is back from the shop it will be in working condition. At that point all I will be concerned with is upgrading the big things (brakes, suspension, and rear end). Then I'll start saving for a proper restore/frame strengthening.

Oh if I do go for the brakes I'd like to paint the calipers. How hard would that be? I don't image it would be too difficult to do before installing them. They won't be noticeable until I replace the rims ( won't be done for a long time ) but I'd image it would be better to do them before installation.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. What do you have in mind for the frame? A roll bar? Subframe connectors (I assume old MGs are unibodies :p)?

Sounds like a good plan. What do you have in mind for the frame? A roll bar? Subframe connectors (I assume old MGs are unibodies :p)?

Yea they are unibodies. I'm not an expert on chassis design. I will probably be looking for something which can handle the power, but won't shake out my teeth on the street. It will be a while yet before I get to that though ( at least two to three years ).

Last edited:
IMO it really depends how bad the front end is. A bad suspension in the front end can be outright dangerous. I think this is one of the few times in my life I've ever disagreed with spectre but if your car can stop half decently right now, I would do the suspention first because it can be more of an issue for road driving and racing, where as as long as you have dencent barakes, your car is pretty light and should do to badly for just street driving.

Like I said though, it depends on how bad they both are.

Keg shots! Well it doesn't look like it has been ported after all :(. Though going by the quality of the intake gasket's install I am glad the dipshits who did the original swap didn't attempt it. So I am probably rocking at most 120hp. Once I've finished with the suspension/brakes/axel upgrades I'll have it rebuilt/ported and throw a camden blower on it.

Anyhow here are some pics.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/06/03/IMG_0132.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/06/03/IMG_0131.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/06/03/IMG_0127.JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/06/03/IMG_0126.JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/06/03/IMG_0123.JPG

How are you sure it isn't ported without opening up the engine?

And trust me, be thankful your gasket came off that easy (and in one piece) mine took probably 6 hours to remove...

Last edited:
How are you sure it isn't ported without opening up the engine?

And trust me, be thankful your gasket came off that easy (and in one piece) mine took probably 6 hours to remove...

I just asked the guy working on it and took his word on it :p. I'll be dynoing it after it gets back, if it has more than 120 at the crank then it is ported.

Well the problem with that gasket job is that the seals weren't being held on well at all. Though they managed not to leak.

Does anyone know if Mazda brought the 6 port 12a (my engine) to the US? I'm wondering if I have a JDM or not.

No I don't believe the 6 port 12a was ever used here, I was wondering why your intake appeared to be a 6 porter. Do you have pics of the actuators?

Pretty sure 6 port 12a is japan only.

No I don't believe the 6 port 12a was ever used here, I was wondering why your intake appeared to be a 6 porter. Do you have pics of the actuators?

I'm not familiar with what actuators are.

They are canister looking things on the outside of the intake manifold that turn the auxillary port sleeves. It looks like your sleeves have been removed though, so you probably don't have the actuators either. This all depends on whether the 6 port 12a functions similarly to the 6port 13b.

Here is a pic of a 13BRE-EGI for reference
seengineright.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah they are definitely MIA. :lol:

Are there any down sides to that? I can't think of any. Wouldn't it just be like haveing a more free flowing exaust at all your rpm? or do you lose some low end torque?

Yes it kills the low end torque. Mazda used the exhaust to flip them so the swappers just removed them when they installed the custom pipe. Thee appear to be some solutions that work better. I'm going to see what I can do.

Your car is so light that I bet the difference between having them and not is negligible. I would leave them off to keep your system simpler. I'm considering taking mine off simply because its a pain in the ass to get it to work correctly with a free flowing exhaust.

The exhaust can be bybased. I'm using my phone so I can't provide an exact link, but there is a method at www.rotatyresurrection.com (look under 2nd gen) that only uses the air pump.

I don't know if you've noticed...but you, like I, have no airpump :p