Buying a car / Getting into motorsports

Psirus

Aloha
Here is the thing: I'm a mech engineering student and I'm really interested in cars, motorsports and I've always wanted to take part in a motorrace.
Also, my knowledge on cars is somewhat limited and completely theoretical.
That's why I had this idea to buy an old, beaten up car and restore it/turn it into something one could use for motorsports.
The main point is to learn how to repair and maintain a car, the racing part is in the far future.
But since I'm a student, I don't really have any money.
I was thinking 80s, preferably RWD.
I don't really care if the interior is complete rubbish, I'd be throwing it away anyway.
What cars would you suggest?
What else do I have to consider?

First off where do you live? How much money do you have to spend of the car alone? What type of motor sports will you be getting into? How much money do you have to spend of restoring it? These are all questions you need to answer before looking for a beat up old car to restore. There are plenty of 80's and 90's cars out there. Like if you live in the US and you want to get into drifting I would suggest a 240sx. You can find shells, depending where you live, for 300 bucks with minimal to no rust. All you would have to do is drop in a SR20 motor swap, update the suspension, weld the diff, do a 300zx brake swap, and throw in a roll cage to have a very good drifting car for about 4K to 6K depending on what kind of deals you could get. If you want to go into autox then I would suggest the same thing I said for drifting except put in a LSD, or don't weld the differential. Another great cheap car for autox is a Miata.

Last edited:
I live in Germany, and I was thinking to spend around 500? on the car itself.
As for restoring, I'm planning to do this step by step, so I don't know the budget, but I don't have a timeframe either.
What kind of motorsport I'll be doing is also up for discussion.
I'd just rule out Drag racing.

If you were in America......

but you aren't, so look into 70's or 80's Volvos too (the old coupes can be turned into beasts), or go traditional with an E30.

I live in Germany, and I was thinking to spend around 500? on the car itself.

If you?re really (and I mean really really) lucky, you?ll find an old e30 or golf II for that money. Most of the decent stuff in your price range has become a victim of the abwrackpr?mie though, so you?ll have a hard time finding something decent.

Since you live in Germany, try to get an old german car. If you get something exotic you?ll be limited in finding cheap parts for it that the T?V doesn?t have a problem with.

How much do you actually want to spend on the car? And how close do you live to the ring? :mrgreen:

i think its really "less the car and more the person restoring it. any car will do, find something you like and who knows, you may find out that its more of a learning car. i think that once you get involved deeper, you will find the perfect car for you, one that suits your likes. comming here and asking is a great start, but, the bottom line is, have you ever seen a car go by and thought, wow, thats pretty, or wow, that would be fun to drive? if yes, and you can find one for cheap, thats the car you want. i just dont think that the first car you work on is ever "the one"

^ I agree, I just don't want to "miss" anything.
Most of the decent stuff in your price range has become a victim of the abwrackpr?mie though.
I've figured that, a shame if you ask me.
And how close do you live to the ring? :mrgreen:
I live in Dresden, and I guess the 24 hour race at the ring made me decide to do this, although I had the idea for a while.

I would suggest a slightly different path.Buy a basic car like a Volvo 240 (you can never go wrong with the Swedish Brick) but then focus your efforts on buying and restoring a real race car, such as a Formula Vee . Get involved in Club racing at local tracks before you buy anything...just go, offer to help out...you will find plenty of takers and you will learn a lot about different types of cars, and what makes sense for you. You can then likely find one that has been sitting for a while in someone's garage, and pour your efforts into that car.

Steve

I've figured that, a shame if you ask me.

Don?t get me started. Everyone will regret it.
I live in Dresden, and I guess the 24 hour race at the ring made me decide to do this, although I had the idea for a while.
I hope you realise you won?t be driving in anything remotely as competitive unless you win the lottery. If your budget is tight, then open days on the ring are what you should focus on...

I would suggest a slightly different path.Buy a basic car like a Volvo 240 (you can never go wrong with the Swedish Brick) but then focus your efforts on buying and restoring a real race car, such as a Formula Vee . Get involved in Club racing at local tracks before you buy anything...just go, offer to help out...you will find plenty of takers and you will learn a lot about different types of cars, and what makes sense for you. You can then likely find one that has been sitting for a while in someone's garage, and pour your efforts into that car.

Steve

Either entry-level formula racing in the US is massively different to here, or you misread the part about the tight budget...

This thread is already full of Volvo awesomeness :)

The 242 is a solid car and handles really good. The engine however, in stock form is a little...gutless. You need to modify it (at least it can take a lot of that) if you want to go racing with it.

If you want to have a fun AND funny car, I would suggest a Volvo 740 Estate.
1677435272_43d8b4553f.jpg

1985-Volvo-740-Turbo-Will-F.jpg

2.3 litre, 4 cylinder Turbo Intercooled engine, RWD - stock 170hp. The fact that you are in germany, will help you find one with a manual transmission.
If you spend some time modifying it (the engine can take the boost) you can turn it into a decent racer.
People will laugh at you when you first show up, but will respect you afterwards!
Here is an interesting (awesome) read - http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0449/article.html
The handling is pretty good on these, it's the suspension that needs some work, but if you put some adjustable Ohlin struts, you'll be in business!

Are those brick volvos RWD ? :hmm:

Honestly, If you're trying to get into motorsport, I suggest you find a local (im sure there are some where you live) endurance event for cheaper cars. Gather a few friends, and you can get a car for relatively cheap (It's not like you need an m3 or something, since you don't yet have the skill to drive one of them competitevely) and split the costs between you friends. That way you can get to race for cheap, in a not-too powerful car, and you can get a lot of what you first need when getting into motorsports.

Seat time.