Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah, I find that it always rains just after I wash my car...

Saw what looked like a regular BMW 6er today on the highway. When I passed it and looked in my rearview mirror, it looked more like this

http://img36.imageshack.**/img36/3526/torqueomata211.jpg
1999 BMW Z9 Gran Turismo concept.

It had those circular lamps between the headlights and the grille. Anyone know if any tuner made a bodykit like that, or if it was a custom job?

Last edited:
Oh yeah.

I have to say though, one of my favorite Aussie muscle cars is the old Charger with the fantastic sounding straight six engine.

You do realize the Chrysler Charger started as just an Plymouth Valiant with different lights and the steering wheel on the other side, right?

Oh yeah, MoPar fans would give you hell for referring to the slant-6 as a straight six (even though it is just a straight six that's been laid in crooked).

I don't know much about American muscle cars even though I love them, so my bad :)

The practical side of my mind is in love with the Ford Fusion Hybrid. The display on the speedo area is awesome, the build quality is superb, the materials used are of relatively high quality, and the seats are very supportive. And the leather on the leather one actually feels like leather, unlike Fords of yester year.

If I had an AMC Eagle that was customised as heavily as the cars you posted it would be fun trying.

I'd like to see a stock Cheyenne do that too.

I don't class old-scool 4x4s as SUVs either, even if they technically are it's an insult to them.

If by "Cheyenne" you mean an older 4x4 Chevy truck, it would do that. I used to have one (I miss it :( ) and did stuff like that all the time (that's why I miss it).

I totally agree with you on the older "SUV" thing.

Last edited:
You can use it in an emergency if the regular brakes fail.

Maybe I'm not old enough, but I'm not seeing how that would work. Even if you lose power assist your breaks should continue to function better then locking up the rear wheels with the E-break. ??

The e-break still engages the same breaks, right? It's not some extra mechanisim is it? I just though it was a physical link to the rear breaks?

Maybe I'm not old enough, but I'm not seeing how that would work. Even if you lose power assist your breaks should continue to function better then locking up the rear wheels with the E-break. ??

The e-break still engages the same breaks, right? It's not some extra mechanisim is it? I just though it was a physical link to the rear breaks?

With the exception of the electronic brakes, the e-brake/parking brake/handbrake is a separate mechanism, actuated by a cable.

If you blow a brake hose (which can still happen in this day and age) or two and all your brake fluid drains out, you won't have any hydraulic brakes. At that point, the only "brake" you have left is the handbrake/e-brake.

For tonight's homework assignment you must read: http://www.familycar.com/brakes.htm and http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-an-emergency-brake-work.htm

There may be a quiz on this later. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
So you would class the button-like ones in the dashboard (Like this) as handbrakes? In conversation I would call it a handbrake, because its what we call them here, but technically I think I may call that one a parking brake.

I asked this question because of a conversation with an American over the 4th pedal (or 3rd pedal in this case) layout.

And I've also never understood the e-brake one. Technically you could use this argument against parking brake as well, because it can be used for both emergencies and parking. So I guess handbrake is the best overview. Or is there a system whereby the electronic ones like the link above don't activate unless the car is stationary, in which case it can't be an e-brake. And handbrake isn't right if its a pedal, as case it doesn't make sense - both word-wise and theory-wise.

I've never seen a button one like that before. I don't call any of them handbreaks actually. I don't think of it much, but I'm pretty sure I refer to all generically as parking break. I've hear the other terms used before though, hand and emergency break.

What's everyone's understanding of when/why you'd use it?

IN automatics I pretty much never use it unless I'm on vacation to a place that has some elevation changes. Use it in case the tranny can't hold/fails to hold the car in place.

In manuals I use it every time I park even though I leave the car in gear, either first or reverse.

I've also been known to use it to get the rear end to slide around.... way back in the day. We started calling it the fun break because of that.

The idea that this break would be a button and not manual is odd to me. I guess that's a secondary system that's as reliable as a cable so... that should work.

Massive Anti SUV rant

thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself

Spectre : the reason why I hate these cars is that the people who drive them consider a dirt road to be "offroad". Hell they consider parking on the sidewalk "offroad"...

IMO it's just badge snobbery, woo BMW... :roll:

This whole suv are useless if you're not going off road. I have to call BS on that. Third row seats are a HUGE bonus, as is towing capacity and extra ground clearance.

Now I agree that a ton of folks with SUVs would be better served with a sedan or wagon/estate, but not everyone has made a poor choice. Indeed most folks seem in tune with their needs.

thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself

Spectre : the reason why I hate these cars is that the people who drive them consider a dirt road to be "offroad". Hell they consider parking on the sidewalk "offroad"...

IMO it's just badge snobbery, woo BMW... :roll:

Parking on the side walk is urban-4 wheeling.

IN automatics I pretty much never use it unless I'm on vacation to a place that has some elevation changes. Use it in case the tranny can't hold/fails to hold the car in place.

If the car has bad motor mounts and the slope is too steep, the engine might move about from the force and the car may pop out of Park and roll down the hill.

Why would you need extra ground clearance when you're not going off-road?

Some roads, at least around here, have some pretty serious dips and bumps. Lets just say I've been glad I drive a pickup and not a low slung sports car.