Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well perhaps you should invest in some oil companies. We enjoy our dividend checks.

Well perhaps you should invest in some oil companies. We enjoy our dividend checks.

I would, but I have all my money tied up in cocaine and heroine at the moment. Excellent return on my investments, let me tell you. :p

3606944491_843992bd0c_b.jpg

Yay or nay?
I liked it, it has a "Darth Vader" vibe.

And before that, I was rewarded with $.305 gas. Noticed it mid tank so I told the attendant. They thanked me, but there was some dumb "derogatory female word" in a lexus that filled her tank before me while looking at the blatant error.
http://img191.imageshack.**/img191/3224/060809121500.jpg

Damn! How come that never happens with my 18-gallon tank Volvo?

Speaking of gas, I noticed something peculiar the other day.
Usually, gas prices where I fill up are $2.64 per gallon, but this weekend I drove down to Virginia to do some shopping and couldn't believe the gas prices there. Usually it was around $2.49 but I saw a few gas stations selling for $2.39!
Needless to say, I filled up there.
Before I got there I got a pretty good average of 28MPG. After the fill up, I've noticed that my gas gauge is going down considerably faster than before. Don't have any numbers yet, but it will be worse MPG than before.
Weird, right?
Maybe they diluted the gas and the octanes are lower and my car is drinking more?

That blue one is very nice!

Speaking of gas, I noticed something peculiar the other day.
Usually, gas prices where I fill up are $2.64 per gallon, but this weekend I drove down to Virginia to do some shopping and couldn't believe the gas prices there. Usually it was around $2.49 but I saw a few gas stations selling for $2.39!
Needless to say, I filled up there.
Before I got there I got a pretty good average of 28MPG. After the fill up, I've noticed that my gas gauge is going down considerably faster than before. Don't have any numbers yet, but it will be worse MPG than before.
Weird, right?
Maybe they diluted the gas and the octanes are lower and my car is drinking more?

It could have had a higher percentage of ethanol, which lowers fuel economy despite raising octane.

News from Volvo:
In conjunction with the STCC race, G?teborg City Race this weekend, Volvo Cars Sweden AB and Polestar Racing AB introduce a long-awaited opportunity for Volvo enthusiasts to improve their car?s performance.

Thanks to close collaboration between Volvo?s Racing Team, Polestar and Volvo Car Corporation?s power train department, the Volvo owners who want a sharper car will be able to enhance their car with upgraded performance. The software which will soon be made available will be sold via Volvo?s dealer network in Sweden, it will comply with Swedish emissions regulations and has been specially configured for the technology in each Volvo model. It is the first time that Volvo offers this type of performance increasing software.

?We have had enquiries from time to time about whether Volvo, like its competitors, could offer technology for improved car performance. We will now offer it. And we will do it, both knowing that car owners can be reassured that it will work and not damage environmental features, cause mechanical damage or knock out the car?s complex electronic systems?, says Thomas Andersson, Managing Director of Volvo Cars Sweden.

Read more...

edit. Polestar is the outfit that builds Volvo's STCC c30.

Last edited:
Wow...58hp by simple software update is not to be sniffed at.

I wonder if they will offer some kind of ECU software upgrade for my 850...They did say "each Volvo model" :lol:

why must servicing be so expensive? :(
just got back from the garage, where they charged me 850? for a service and 4 new shocks...
Now they want an extra 450? because apparently my intercooler is fucked and is sprayingoil oil over the radiator...

Am I being ripped off? Also, how urgent is this? Can I afford to wait a couple of weeks to get this fixed? Or will my car just explode? :(

Well, if the intercooler is spewing oil on your radiator, that mean's you're losing oil, which means your engine won't be lubricated and can seize up, costing thousands to replace. Seems odd that you won't have noticed oil leaking out and dripping from your car all the time though. Have you actually looked to be sure they aren't just blowing hot air?

Wow...58hp by simple software update is not to be sniffed at.

I wonder if they will offer some kind of ECU software upgrade for my 850...They did say "each Volvo model" :lol:

I shall demand that for my 745 aswell!!!

Also, how urgent is this? Can I afford to wait a couple of weeks to get this fixed? Or will my car just explode? :(

Have a good look around the enginebay. If yo don't see anything weird, go see another garage (preferably someone independent) and ask for their opinion..

Last edited:
If it's for sale, buy it! Give your kid some childhood memories worth remembering. :mrgreen:

:lol:
It?s not for sale. I took that picture in the pits of a dragstrip. Even if it was for sale, it would probably cost around USD25,000 :?

Ugly?

The previous body style was so much nicer.

I like the newer one personally. Not completely sure whether I like the current 4 door or this one. The reason why I think I like this render is because it is smaller than the actual 4 door one.