High court won't block Chrysler sale

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Stick a fork in the US, we're done. The Supreme Court has refused to block the blatantly illegal preferential treatment given the unions in the Chrysler deal, and thus has eradicated any incentive whatsoever for anyone to invest in or lend to an American company. After all, why invest if the government can:

1: Force a bankruptcy.
2: Ignore bankruptcy laws.
3: Shaft even secured creditors.
4: And give everything to political cronies instead of following normal asset recovery laws.

From the Our Dear Leader Obama Motors department and AP/Breitbart:

High court won't block Chrysler sale
Jun 9 06:27 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court has cleared the way for Chrysler's sale to Fiat, turning down a last-ditch bid by opponents of the deal.

The court said late Tuesday it had rejected a plea to block the sale of most of Chrysler's assets to the Italian automaker. Chrysler, Fiat and the Obama administration had warned that the high court's intervention could have scuttled the sale.

A federal appeals court in New York had earlier approved the sale, but gave opponents until Monday afternoon to try to get the Supreme Court to intervene.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ordered a temporary delay just before a 4 p.m. deadline on Monday.

Now the court has freed the automakers to complete their deal.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

NEW YORK (AP)?Chrysler returned to bankruptcy court Tuesday to get a judge to approve the termination of 789 dealer franchises, while its plan to partner with Italy's Fiat hung in limbo as the automaker awaited action by the nation's highest court.

The sale of Chrysler's assets to Fiat Group SpA had been expected to close more than a week ago, but Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's decision to delay the sale now threatens to derail Chrysler's restructuring plans.

In a brief filed with the Supreme Court Tuesday afternoon, Chrysler and Fiat warned that the deal will terminate if it does not close by June 15. While a new agreement could be negotiated, there's no guarantee that one will be reached or that Chrysler will be able to be jump start its operations after the deadline, they said.

In bankruptcy court, more than 25 attorneys representing hundreds of dealers from across the country argued that little would be gained by terminating their franchises, while Chrysler maintained that the move is a necessary part of its plan to cut costs and quickly emerge from Chapter 11.

Arguments ended early Tuesday afternoon and U.S. Judge Arthur Gonzalez said he would issue his ruling later in the day.

Many of the dealers were selling the last cars on their lots and preparing to shut their doors for good at the end of the day, while others planned to sell used cars or other brands after severing ties with Chrysler.

The Auburn Hills, Mich., automaker has been flying through five weeks of bankruptcy proceedings and appeared all but certain to complete the sale of its assets to Fiat before the June 15 deadline. But Ginsburg issued a stay Monday to review an appeal by a trio of Indiana pension and construction funds which own a small part of Chrysler's secured debt.

The delay may be only temporary. Ginsburg could decide on her own whether to end the stay, or she could ask the full court to decide.

Fiat has the right to walk away from Chrysler after June 15 and leave the struggling U.S. automaker with little option but to liquidate. But a Fiat spokesman said Tuesday that the Italian automaker will not turn its back on a deal despite the Supreme Court stay.

Indiana officials, representing the state funds challenging the Chrysler sale, submitted a short statement to the Supreme Court Tuesday that calls attention to Fiat's statement.

"The Indiana Pensioners respectfully submit that the risk of termination by Fiat if the transaction does not close by June 15 no longer provides a basis for driving the timing of these proceedings," the officials said.

Responding to the Indiana funds later Tuesday, Chrysler and Fiat said that the sale agreement will terminate automatically if the sale doesn't close by the deadline, and there's no guarantee that they could negotiate a new deal.

"Given Chrysler's precipitous state, every day past June 15 increases the risk that Chrysler's business will not be able to restart successfully," the company said.

Meanwhile, the Obama administration said in a separate filing that each day of delay consumes more of the financing provided by the government.

"If the closing is delayed by more than approximately 10 days, a sufficient amount of the current commitment of debtor-in-possession financing from the United States will have been consumed as to require the government either to increase its overall funding to the detriment of taxpayers, or abandon its role in the transaction," the administration said.

Production at Chrysler's manufacturing plants remains halted pending the closing of the sale. Chrysler, which says it is losing $100 million every day its plants are closed, said it had no comment until it receives further information from the court.

Chrysler's ability to speed through the bankruptcy process has partially been a result of the involvement of the Obama administration's auto task force, which provided $4.5 billion in financing and helped negotiate a deal between the company's stakeholders.

Under a deal brokered in the days leading up to Chrysler's April 30 Chapter 11 filing, Fiat will receive up to a 35 percent stake in the new company created by the sale, in exchange for sharing the technology Chrysler needs to create smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

The United Auto Workers will get a 55 percent stake that will be used to fund its retiree health care obligations, while the U.S. and Canadian governments will receive a combined 10 percent stake.

Meanwhile, the automaker's secured debtholders would get $2 billion in cash, or about 29 cents on the dollar, for their combined $6.9 billion in debt. Some of the debtholders balked at the deal, saying as secured lenders they deserved more.

The Indiana funds filed an objection to the sale and later appealed to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court. They claim the sale unfairly favors Chrysler's unsecured stakeholders such as the union ahead of secured debtholders like themselves.

The funds also are challenging the constitutionality of the Treasury Department's use of money from the Troubled Asset Relief Program to supply Chrysler's bankruptcy protection financing. They say the government did so without congressional authority.

The funds hold about $42.5 million, or less than 1 percent, of Chrysler's $6.9 billion in secured debt. They bought it in July 2008 for 43 cents on the dollar.

The appeals come as Congress scrutinizes the Obama administration's restructuring of Chrysler and GM. The Senate Banking Committee said it planned to call Ron Bloom, a senior adviser to the auto task force, and Edward Montgomery, who serves as the Obama administration's director of recovery for auto communities and workers, to a hearing Wednesday.

___

Associated Press writers Mark Sherman and Ken Thomas in Washington, Colleen Barry in Milan and Tom Krisher in Detroit contributed to this report.

Well shit. I was hoping that the supreme court was going to uphold the law, but I guess that kind of thinking is just stupid 'round these parts in this day and age.

What did people expect, fairness?

Not really, but I expected it to be at least a little less blatant and obvious. Or at least take a little more time.

I am suddenly *very* glad I managed to snag that FAL and that my ammo order will be getting here Thursday. Not because I anticipate armed rebellion or revolution, mind you, but because the last time the economy got as bad as I think its going to in the wake of this, we had riots in the streets and enormous crime waves - see the 1930s.

Already fought my way home through one major urban riot in life while undergunned, thank you very much; I have no intention of doing that again.

Last edited:
Wow. This is a landmark decision. We are screwed.

Feds had this one all taken care of :mad:

bell220808_512x384.jpg

Last edited:
And the government was about to do something rational regarding corporations and the economy for the first time since Obama

Wait a minute, this is great. Everyone believed that Obama would take care of all of us, that we wouldn't have to worry about paying our bills, well he's done it. So now I can call my auto finance company and tell them that contracts are now null and void and they can expect no more money form me. The same goes to student loans, credit cards etc. But now the banks can tell anyone that all contracts are null and all their customers money belongs to them and so on and so on.

The only vaguely good thing to come out of this is the fact that this was the trial lawyers and pension funds bringing the suit along with the dealers. Whose pension funds, you might ask?

Why, teachers' union pensions, police officers' union pensions, government workers' union pensions... basically, a whole *lot* of union members' pensions were tied up in this. Quite a few of which are going to be wiped out in part or full by this decision. So in bailing out his buddies in the UAW (who supported him with $400 MILLION), Obama just screwed over a bunch of his supporters in other unions who will no longer have funds for retirement, as well as his trial lawyer supporters.

If you live in America, you probably know someone whose retirement pension just got flushed by Obama... and Congress... and now the Supreme Court. Surprise! (This is part of why I expect civil unrest in the not-so-distant future... shades of the Bonus Army, perhaps?)

Last edited:
Well shit. I was hoping that the supreme court was going to uphold the law, but I guess that kind of thinking is just stupid 'round these parts in this day and age.

I am quite happy with our german surpreme court reading this.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." - Snake Plisken ;)

On a side note, I don't understand the "experts" that say the economic crisis is over and things are going better. When asked why, their answer is "because we've reached a bottom level, and things can only get better from here."
That's a completely foul logic!!!

Now trust me, we (people from Eastern Europe generally) have experienced it before: Just when you think things can't get any worse, something happens and brings the crisis to a whole new level."

I am quite happy with our german surpreme court reading this.

Our "Bundesverfassungsgericht" indeed seems to be much more independent in its decisions. Every attempt to politically influence it, has failed so far.

alfa%20159%20ltd.jpg

Angry Alfa is angry with the opposition in this thread and will run over any dissidents. See you get nice Fiats now! And no crappy Chryslers! Everybody happy!

I can't wait for this deal to come through. 500Cs and Breras available in the US? Finally.

I don't particularily get the hostility in this thread either, the chrysler sale HAD to move forward if they wanted a chance at avoiding chapter 7. It's a tough call I know, regarding the pensions and whatnot, but something had to be done, NOW. The unemployment rate in the US is already at around 10%, imagine what would happen if chrysler tanked? Not just the chrysler employees are toast, we have the suppliers dying off, aftermarket drying up too. Even that guy who makes DUB grilles for 300C's may be out of a job, one must always consider the trickle down effect that it'll have on everyone. (What about the tyre engineers and companies that will have to deal with reduced orders? They'll cut jobs too.) The United States and Canada are still largely dependent on their manufacturing industry as their best sources of jobs and income generation, and without that I think the rioting and lawlessness would be a fair bit worse, Mr. Spectre. Letting one of the big auto makers die off would probably be a deathblow to the North American economy and certainly be one for the North American manufacturing industry.

Case in point, what happened to the UK's manufacturing industry after BL died off? Exactly. We don't want to make the same mistakes, at least this way we have a hope of survival.

What makes you think that Chrysler and the U.S. jobs are safer now, than before?

From all we know, Fiat is only interested in saving Fiat -- and not Chrysler.

What makes you think that Chrysler and the U.S. jobs are safer now, than before?

From all we know, Fiat is only interested in saving Fiat -- and not Chrysler.

Fiat is in no position to shut Chrysler down with only a 20% (to be 35%) ownership. They will only be able to get the majority share after Chrysler's debt is paid off. Even then, isn't the point of Fiat grabbing up Chrysler to get their resources (dealers, factories, parts, etc)? I can't imagine they'll import 20,000 Italian guys to run Chrysler's facilities.

Here is a wicked wheeze pulled off by the UK Government - the Golden Share.

"A Golden Share is a nominal share which is able to outvote all other shares in certain specified circumstances, often held by a government organization, in a government company undergoing the process of privatization and transformation into a stock-company."

Now I wonder if the idea has crossed the pond yet, so I wonder if the OBAMA administration may try this one on some of their assets when they come to sell them off at some time in the future?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_share

I'm very happy Fiat is buying Chrysler, but this is not going to restore any faith in the economy and how the government are running things. What does Obama think he's doing, why would I invest money if I'm going to be the UAW's bitch? Thank God, I bought Ford stock, they will hopefully glide right over Obama's spending shitstorm.