Italian Customs Finds $134 Billion in a Suitcase

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
It is either the biggest smuggling operation in history -- or a fraud of equally impressive proportions. Italian customs officials stopped two men at the Swiss border carrying bonds worth $134 billion (95.8 billion euros).

Italian customs officers on the Swiss border often stop smugglers -- but not of this scale. Two Japanese citizens have been detained by Italian police in Chiasso on the Swiss-Italian border after being found with $134 billion of US bonds hidden in the base of their suitcase, according to a press statement by the Italian Guardia di Finanza.

The two men, reported to be more than 50 years old, were traveling by train from Italy to Switzerland on June 3. Financial police at a control on the border found the documents tucked inside a closed section at the bottom of their suitcase, separate from their personal items. According to their statement, the men's luggage included 249 government bonds worth $500 million and 10 so-called Kennedy bonds, each worth a billion dollars.

But details of the case remain unclear: The Japanese embassy in Rome confirmed the arrest of the two men but the news agency Bloomberg reported on Friday that it was not yet established whether they were Japanese citizens.

It yet to be seen whether this is the biggest smuggling scandal in history -- or a massive fraud. Italian officials said they were still checking the authenticity of the bonds.

But should the bonds, or at least some of them, turn out to be real, the men will face a significant penalty. In Europe it is illegal to transport more than ?10,000 across borders without notifying customs.

Meanwhile, if they turn out to be authentic, Italy is set for a windfall. According to Italian law, the state could fine the men 40 percent of the seized money. Italy's mountain of public debt, which is at 105 percent of GDP, could shrink.

And although details of the case are still murky, the Italian media is already mulling how the windfall would be best spent. Aside from shrinking the national debt, there are suggestions the funds could help rebuild the earthquake-wrecked Abruzzo region.

jas -- with wire reports

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,630158,00.html

According to the latest news on this, the U.S. Secret Service is now also involved in the case.

And of course there are already wild theories on the internet, ranging from the arrested persons being in fact North Koreans to an attempt of the Japanese state to secretly get rid of its U.S. Dollar reserves.

What's your theory? :D

Last edited:
That's a long way for Robbie Mugabe to go to get a pack of smokes.

Imagine if Italy does indeed get to keep 40% of that...

But... how's Italy supposed to get 40% of that $134 billion from fining those two guys. I guarantee you they don't have $53 billion between them. If it was another government doing things, I don't see them just handing over money to Italy.

Yeah, it would be awfully convenient for Italy to find them to be valid and keep 40% :rolleyes:

Well, if the two gentlemen don't have proper documentation for the money...they will go to prison and the money will be confiscated.
I think the largest sum you can carry with you across any EU border was 10,000 EUR...am I right?

You are right, HV.

It's a sensational finding indeed, but for the moment I believe these are fakes. If not... woah... as has been said, what entity possesses such amounts of money? Japan trying to get rid of US$ this way would certainly be most hilarious.
We'll see...

Although the men have been arrested for 9 days now, the Italian customs is still checking if the bonds are genuine or fakes.

Frankly I cannot imagine that any private person or even an international corporation has that much money as a reserve. So I reckon IF those bonds are genuine, the Italian customs spoiled some act by another state.

If they are real how much of the 40% will go to the mafia?

Totally unrelated question: How do I go about getting something back from the Italian government if they seize it?

Totally unrelated question: How do I go about getting something back from the Italian government if they seize it?

Why would they seize it? Is the item legal or illegal?

Finders keepers!

Just imagine how much practice it would take to pull off that cool face to smuggle 134 billion trough customs. I guess they failed then, bursting out in laughter when guy at the customs asked if they had any valuables to declare. "Noo, nothing, just some Tobeloon and 132 billion dollar in...":|