Need music for long haul to vacation spot

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
It'll be 15 hours or something in the car when I leave for vacation in two weeks.

Based on that I listen to Rush, Rush, Rush and, erm... Rush, I need some suggestions on other music. I can't listen to YYZ and Xanadu all day long :lol:

As a Rush fan, you can obviously handle high-pitched-male vocals...what are your thoughts on Dream Theater (I think it's probably safe to assume you are aware of them.)

Sounds vaguely familiar, but I mostly like what I hear so far from my YouTube surfing. Not crazy about his voice, but I think could grow on me (it's not the pitch, it's just the tone and slow vibrato).

Insane time signatures + technical madness = music to my ears.

Last edited:
Lots of Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Beatles, RHCP, and Tool.

Yeah, I think Dream Theater sits around in their studio and has conversations that go like this:

"Hey, Mike...what time signature haven't we used in a while?"
"I don't know, John...I've always like 13/16."
"Yeah, but I was thinking more...29/32."
"Yeah, that sounds good."

It's hilarious watching people who aren't into very progressive stuff try to headbang to music that's not in 4/4. :p

Mike Portnoy is my favorite rock drummer. The whole band is some of the most technically proficient groups out there.

Plus, they can have fun:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhDPIgM1xQw[/YOUTUBE]

It'll be 15 hours or something in the car when I leave for vacation in two weeks.

Based on that I listen to Rush, Rush, Rush and, erm... Rush, I need some suggestions on other music. I can't listen to YYZ and Xanadu all day long :lol:

Just listen to 2112 a couple times. :p

Have you listened to Geddy Lee's solo album My Favorite Headache?

I would also recomend Dream Theater, Portnoy is defiantly in the same league as Pert in the drums department. All of Spock's Beard stuff before Snow is excellent. Transatlantic is also worth checking out. Ayreon maybe up your alley as well.

If you don't mind something more on the hippy side of the prog rock spectrum I would suggest the Flower Kings, the classics (Yes, Genesis, early King Crimson, Jethro Tull, etc), Marillion (Fish era before Hogshit replaced him).

King Crimson 80s->current maybe worth checking out, but it is an acquired taste. But you won't find better sounding base anywhere else (Tony Levin is fucking amazing). Just listen to the Chapman stick solo from Sartori in Tangier.
[YOUTUBE]gAUS0vmXn2I[/YOUTUBE]

Anyhow if you want more crazy prog stuff I can provide. :p

More videos:
[YOUTUBE]9YvHldEuE30[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qtAhlPcdh9c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xe1dICRUltE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3-sEyTW0rRo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]r1_ydDEpA8g[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
^ Muse sounds more like pop to me.

Sorry, argatoga, that stuff doesn't do it for me, just too weird. It needs a more passionate rock sound for me.

Eg.: "These Walls" by Dream Theater really does it for me.

Have you listened to Geddy Lee's solo album My Favorite Headache?
Yeah, it's alright. I've listened to Alex's solo album as well.

Last edited:
My (admittedly useless) recommendation is to listen to the whole Hitchikers Guide radio series.

Ok, I'll leave.

Kings of Leon
[YOUTUBE]D9sMj9tTOKI[/YOUTUBE]

U2
AC/DC
Black Sabbath (I, II & III especially)
Deep Purple - In Rock / Live in Japan
Yes - Yes songs
Nirvana, yes I know but give 'em a chance. ...

/EDIT Some more stuff

Cream - got to love Clapton
Jimi Hendrix - How could I. ...?
The Who (Who's next and Quadrophenia)
Kate Bush & David Gilmour

[YOUTUBE]vl9OKddQBRg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
^ Muse sounds more like pop to me.

Sorry, argatoga, that stuff doesn't do it for me, just too weird. It needs a more passionate rock sound for me.

Eg.: "These Walls" by Dream Theater really does it for me.

Yeah, it's alright. I've listened to Alex's solo album as well.

Heh, no problem. I know I have a pretty eclectic music taste. Here are a couple others which maybe of interest.

Kamelot
[YOUTUBE]I438RH1oUJc[/YOUTUBE]

Kansas
[YOUTUBE]e9EoAOTjEdE[/YOUTUBE]

If you are into progressive rock and such, you might enjoy mastodon's latest album. It's called Crack the Sky.

PRiSM?

Less hardcore, more passionate rock ... not slow and mushy, but something that has feeling beyond "ZOMGG!1 WACH TEH GITTAR TO DWEDOLEEDEEDWEDOLEEDEEDWEDOLEEDEEDWEDOLEEDEEDWEDOLEEDEEDWEDOLEEDEE!!1!!"

Please punish yourself by listening to top 40 radio.
Don't make me tell you what I'd rather do...

Last edited:
you're not into metal, are you?

you're not into metal, are you?
Not all that much. I like a good hard rock song, but it needs to have a very melodic feeling to it.

"These Walls" is the only Dream Theater song I've found that I really like. It's hard and technical, but very passionate. I wish that style was representative of their style, because, other than that, most of their other stuff is too hard or too "big-band" for me.

That Kamelot song was alright, if a little dark. 2:31 - 2:34 is quite shocking if you don't actually know the lyrics :lol:

Last edited:
I can't believe you just said Muse sounds like pop. Matthew Bellamy is musical genius IMO and does not deserve to be put in the same category.

This is important work. I once went through France with only an Eagles CD, and the Jay-Zed/Linkin Park collaboration. Never again....

That said, along with those two, you can't go wrong with Appetite for Destruction. Muse is great also...

Kamelot, you say? This is all you'll need.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtW3jZjS9g[/youtube]

Always loved the album cover for this.