F1 teams to set up rival series

Whatcha' gonna do now Max?!

Wow, I'll admit I didn't think that they would actually go this far! :jawdrop:

I wouldn't rule out some last ditch talks though between FOTA and FIA, maybe Max will start to take their proposals a bit more seriously now!

FIA respond to team alliance breakaway
Governing body blames the teams for lack of compromise 19/06/09 08:57

Hot on the heels of the announcement that the eight Formula One Teams' Association members are to form their own breakaway series, the sport?s governing body put out a statement saying that are not surprised by the move given that both sides were unable to come to an agreement over the future of Formula One.

The FIA however firmly pins the blame on the breakdown in negotiations on the team alliance.

"The FIA is disappointed but not surprised by FOTA?s inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport," the statement reads. "It is clear that elements within FOTA have sought this outcome throughout the prolonged period of negotiation and have not engaged in the discussions in good faith.

?The FIA cannot permit a financial arms race in the Championship nor can the FIA allow FOTA to dictate the rules of Formula One.
?

The FIA confirmed that the deadline for unconditional entries into the FIA Formula One World Championship remain unchanged with entries to be submitted by this evening and that the entry list will be published on Saturday.

As it stands, the FIA championship ? minus the eight FOTA members ? will feature Williams, Force India, Manor, US F1 and Campos teams. Lola has already withdrawn its entry while the likes of Prodrive, Brabham and March may be called up to help fill the field.

Chicken

I'd be pissed if I were Bernie, or any way involved in any of the Grands Prix in each country, because the money has just walked away from Formula 1.

I just saw an interview with the CEO of the Australian Grand Prix and he looked like someone had just killed his child. If the biggest names left are Williams and Force India, then they're going to a have a damn hard time convincing anyone to go to Melbourne in 2010.

Now this I did not expect.

I'd be pissed if I were Bernie, or any way involved in any of the Grands Prix in each country, because the money has just walked away from Formula 1.

I just saw an interview with the CEO of the Australian Grand Prix and he looked like someone had just killed his child. If the biggest names left are Williams and Force India, then they're going to a have a damn hard time convincing anyone to go to Melbourne in 2010.

Surely there are loopholes in the contract regarding team participation. Hopefully they have a round at Bathurst. :drool:

Last edited:
It's taking a while to sink in. But now after watching the news (first thing on the bulletin), I'm in real shock. Who would've thought that in three years Jenson Button would go from struggling Honda driver, to brilliant Brawn racer, to driving in a completely new competition?

I think I need to sit.

Max and Bernie just pushed them too far, for too long - always taking it for granted that the teams would give. Now they've got owned - with Force Callcenter and Williams the only teams anybody knows next year, F1's revenues will plummet to a fraction of what they have grown used to.

This revolution had to happen; the teams couldn't just let the Powers That Be encroach upon their sport more and more, constantly compromising to the whore-mongering fascist and the troll on issues they know they have the fans' side on, only putting up the odd verbal protest.

In the short term it'll seem like chaos, but in the long run, this will be best.

Also - anyone want to bet their house on Frank Williams and Vijay Mallya calling FOTA, asking if they can be let in to play with the big boys again? I would.

Bring it on.

I'm just thinking about all the changes this will mean and I get more and more upset. :(

Things had to get REALLY bad for this to happen. I just wonder how vitriolic the meetings between Spanky and FOTA actually were in order to reach this conclusion.

I'm pretty sure that this breakaway series will happen if one condition is met: if Mosley is re-elected in September and the FIA is still run under his power trips.

I cannot wait for all the rest of the skeletons to tumble out of the closet. This is really FOTA sticking it to them.

And no surprises at the FIA blaming FOTA, I mean if the FIA had done the opposite and said that the majority of this entire mess was due to their own fault... pigs will fly!

Let me get this straight...8...out of 10 teams oppose FIA...Isn't the FIA supposed to serve the interest of motorracing, which includes the people who run the cars? I won't be watching F1 anymore, if the buggest teams are Force India and Williams.

Max...thanks for messing up...

Last edited:
"The FIA is disappointed but not surprised by FOTA?s inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport," the statement reads. "It is clear that elements within FOTA have sought this outcome throughout the prolonged period of negotiation and have not engaged in the discussions in good faith."

What the FIA fail to realize here is that they (race organizers) are a business just as much as any of the teams or drivers. The teams and drivers are their customers, in a sense. If you offer a product that does not meet the customer's expectations (a ruleset, for instance), then the customers will walk away. Simple as that. They have the responsibility of offering what the teams want just as much as it is the teams' responsibility to offer what the FIA wants (good sportsmanship, good show, good tech, etc). There has been too much of the latter and not enough of the former.

In racing, everything's business.

Last edited:
I'm already dreaming about buying ?100 ticket to 2010 Silverstone weekend )

?The FIA cannot permit a financial arms race in the Championship nor can the FIA allow FOTA to dictate the rules of Formula One."
That statement reminds me of "US government does not negotiate with terrorists" but why should it?

Last edited:
There will not be two series racing next year, surely that is obvious?

So Formula 1 has torn itself apart. What a sad year. So there's going to be a breakaway series. The question that remains is, will Formula 1 itself remain or will it cease to exist in a couple of years? I'm sure the BBC aren't happy about this news. ITV will be celebrating.

I can't see this happening - it's all part of the rhetoric and game of brinkmanship the FIA & FOTA are playing. This will drag on for a while, there'll be claims and counterclaims, but I'd be hugely surprised if we don't see McLaren, Ferrari et al on the grid at Melbourne next year as part of the official F1 championship.

Last edited: