The netbook thread

Or try overclocking your EEE PC. j/k.

Try Media Player Classic with CCCP codec pack. I used this on my laptop (Athlon 2ghz single core) and it plays all the Top Gear rips fine.

I think i'm in the right place...
I know nothing about computers and can't really understand most of this thread. I have a *looks on front* Medion Akoya which I just got to use for foruming and facebook, really... BUT it has 'WordPerfect' on it instead of MS Word etc.. and is there anyway I can get MS Word on it instead of WordPerfect?
It may sound silly to you but I actually don't have a clue about these things :)

Yeah, you just need to get hold of a Microsoft Office cd and install Word on it :)

The cheapest way would be to install OpenOffice, which is exactly the same as Word, but free :)

Can I like, delete the other program or does it just stay there and not make a difference?
Thank you, by the way!

You can delete any program. Just go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Double-click the program installed and it will take a little while and uninstall it for you. Merely deleting the icons off your desktop won't do anything.

Installing Microsoft Office is a bit more difficult, just because your computer doesn't have a CD drive. You need to use a USB stick or something similar to get the installation files onto your netbook.

This is all only valid by the way if you have Windows, if your netbook runs Linux then it's a different story.

I've been looking at the netbook market this week and there are SO many options. However, I've come to the conclusion that my Dell Inspiron 700M (my loyal machine for the last 4 years) will have to soldier on for a few more months for two reasons.

1. Windows 7 (I want it preinstalled)
2. Nvidia Ion

I want both, and I want it in a 9" netbook (preferably with resolutions of 1280x800). I realize that netbooks aren't meant for gaming, but the graphic acceleration for the Ion is staggering. It's entering the market now (Lenovo has it in its S12), but it'll take a little while to get mainstream.

Sadly, the manufacturers seem to be heading larger, with Asus announcing a 11" netbook (blasphemy!). I hope someone like Asus will release an Ion netbook in the 9" market.

1280 x 800 on a 9" screen? You can't be serious. 1024 x 600 is already pushing it for readability at a distance. That said, ion looks amazing. 9400M in a netbook? That is an actual graphics card. Like, one that plays games. It's hard to get that in a full size notebook.

I've been looking at the netbook market this week and there are SO many options. However, I've come to the conclusion that my Dell Inspiron 700M (my loyal machine for the last 4 years) will have to soldier on for a few more months for two reasons.

2. Nvidia Ion

I want both, and I want it in a 9" netbook (preferably with resolutions of 1280x800). I realize that netbooks aren't meant for gaming, but the graphic acceleration for the Ion is staggering. It's entering the market now (Lenovo has it in its S12), but it'll take a little while to get mainstream.

Sadly, the manufacturers seem to be heading larger, with Asus announcing a 11" netbook (blasphemy!). I hope someone like Asus will release an Ion netbook in the 9" market.

1. Windows 7 is probably a decent reason
2. Nvidia Ion is not, it won't let you do much more than you can do now, although it would be nice
3. increasing the resolution by 20% for that size screen would make it hard to use with Windows UI. Windows UI is just not designed for such pixel density and being used from so far away.

Yeah, that's the thing, it would smooth out a lot of aspects. I suspect Windows 7 will have a lot of GPU-enabled elements. Also, I hear even Flash 10 supports GPU acceleration now.

2. Nvidia Ion

I never saw the point of GPU acceleration with netbooks...the whole point is that it isn't that powerful...
mine plays the 700 mb TG rips just fine regular old WMP, even streamed from my other Pc...with maybe 1 hiccup throughout the show

HD is an issue, but since the screen is tiny, there's no real point in watching HD stuff anyway... the only time it really annoys me is when i'm on youtube

I never saw the point of GPU acceleration with netbooks...the whole point is that it isn't that powerful...

So more powerful is bad? As long as battery life is still good there really isn't a disadvantage. And 9400M is a huge jump from the GMA 950s.

Besides, video acceleration is being used for more and more everyday tasks. Flash 10 as someone mentioned (first I've heard it), video playback, Aero...

mine plays the 700 mb TG rips just fine regular old WMP, even streamed from my other Pc...with maybe 1 hiccup throughout the show

HD is an issue, but since the screen is tiny, there's no real point in watching HD stuff anyway... the only time it really annoys me is when i'm on youtube

You're having problems while watching SD videos on Youtube?

I believe you can live without HD youtube movies on a 1024*600 screen.

And SD movies runs just fine with my eeePC701 and its 630MHz processor on linux :-D

Yeah, HD videos on YouTube aren't really watchable on current Atoms.

But there is absolutley no reason to watch HD YT when the SD version is just a click away... I don't want to download all my HD content in SD as well, but on the internet the difference is just one click.