What is this 'bovril' stuff rally fans seem to like?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
I've heard Clarkson make 100 references to this every time he talks about nerdy WRC fans. But what is a bovril? an item of clothing? a drink? food?

I can't google it since i don't know what is the proper spelling.

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gea...-phrases-explanation-thread-33002/#post876563
"That's the face of a man who's lost his Bovril."

person: Jeremy Clarkson
episode: 11x02, Evo X vs. WRX Sti
explanation: "Bovril" is a thick, salty beef extract which can be made into a drink, can be used for flavouring or spread on bread. A similar product, yet made of yeast instead of beef, is known as Marmite, Vegemite or Cenovis. Bovril was also recently used to spice up the "cocktail" Jeremy mixed in the V8 blender.
links: Wikipedia

No wonder the English get such a bad rap about their food. Beef extract drink? They don't even have that in Asia. :p

It's sounds like really salty, strong beef stock. not something i'd want to sip out of a water bottle.

It's sounds like really salty, strong beef stock. not something i'd want to sip out of a water bottle.

right but if you were in the damp cold welsh forests some time between say sept and dec i bet it would be fucking awesome piping hot out of a thermos with some bread and cheese while standing around waiting for the sound of a rally car in the distance

No wonder the English get such a bad rap about their food. Beef extract drink? They don't even have that in Asia. :p

We have it in the states. It's called Bouillon. Comes in cubes. Dissolve in hot water and bam, instant beef or chicken stock for soups or drinking.

We have it in the states. It's called Bouillon. Comes in cubes. Dissolve in hot water and bam, instant beef or chicken stock for soups or drinking.
Achtung - we have that this side of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge as well, it's usually known as Oxo, and you wouldn't want to drink it. It's excellent for making gravy, though.

Bovril, on the other hand, works just fine as a drink - I can't explain why in a scientific sense, but my taste buds tell me this is the case. If I could send a jar through the internet so you could all see (or taste) for yourselves, I would...

As some of us might remember, it failed horribly for a few years, when the vegeterian mafia got their way and turned it into little more than Marmite with extra disodium 5'-ribonucleotide, but common sense prevailed, and True Bovril soon returned.

right but if you were in the damp cold welsh forests some time between say sept and dec i bet it would be fucking awesome piping hot out of a thermos with some bread and cheese while standing around waiting for the sound of a rally car in the distance
Too right.

See also pieandbovril.com, a site dedicated to Scottish football. On a rain-lashed Tuesday night, watching Cowdenbeath play out a 0-0 draw with East Stirlingshire, what could be better to keep those less than 1000 dedicated but probably quite miserable fans shouting loud for their team to break the deadlock...

In such a situation, why would you not drink, oh I don't know, actual SOUP? That's this stuff that's made from real food and has actual nutrients in it. Comes off a stove and such.

Old terrace drink; dip your pie in bovril. Nothing beats it.

Then a few bottles of wine on the train home. Great days.

In such a situation, why would you not drink, oh I don't know, actual SOUP? That's this stuff that's made from real food and has actual nutrients in it. Comes off a stove and such.

Soup is chunky and after you drink all the broth you have bits in the bottom of your cup that you have to scoop out meaning you have to have utensils where as if you just have the beef broth plus as i mentioned some cheese and bread with perhaps some dried salami or some such all you would really need is a knife to cut stuff... i am not saying soup is a bad idea i just totally see why you would want just the broth

Well by "soup" I was including homemade broths. Not all soups have chunks.

If hiking has thought me anything it is that almost everything is about a millions times better tasting out in the woods.

Bovril is great spread on toast, superior in taste and consistency to Vegemite (in my opinion). It is a lot more expensive than Vegemite, which is expensive enough.
I once tried making a hot drink out of it according to the directions and it was foul and undrinkable (I think it needed to be stronger but I didn't want to waste any more).

All this talk of Bovril kinda makes me want some. :blush:

Especially on toast. Can that be considered a breakfast food? More breakfast foods need massive bits of cow in them. Where's my morning steak?

All this talk of Bovril kinda makes me want some. :blush:

Especially on toast. Can that be considered a breakfast food? More breakfast foods need massive bits of cow in them. Where's my morning steak?

Psst - steak and eggs is the national breakfast of Texas.

So its like drinkable beef jerky? Is there anything better?

Hmm, I need to get some of this stuff and try it.

Hmmm I haven't had Bovril in ages. I used to drink it a lot. In my mixed up memory it tastes a cross between Promite and Vegemite.

Does Coles or Woolsworth stock them?