[13x01] June 21st, 2009

[13x01] June 21st, 2009

• Total voters
Just my 5 cents, to all those who still believe that Schumi is the Stig, do you remember that snow episode where they strapped a Mini to some rockets and fired it down the hill?
Remember the insane jump the Stig did on the snow mobile?

Now do you still think it's the expensive Schumi?

I agree that the News was terrible. It's usually my favorite bit of the show. This news was just too sparse on any actual content (especially at a time when automotive news is so prevalent). It felt overly scriped, and just made me feel uncomfortable. And it felt like it never really got going. Was a relief when it ended.

Hammond's hair is amazingly terrible.

I loved the orange shirt. And no, I am not Dutch. I'm Californian. Not that that explains anything. But for once James' shirt was not the most obnoxious.

I want a Lotus Dress Shop.

Loved the train. But soot-faced Jeremy was just downright creepy. That's the stuff nightmares are made of.

About Jeremy's overacting/crappy acting -- the "Stig" introduction, drama on the train, etc.-- I don't know why I find Jeremy's bad acting so painful...perhaps because when he is being genuine he is *so good* to watch. Who of the middle-aged among us wasn't aching watching him shovel coal? His reverence for the construction of the train-I felt like he was giving me a gift in letting me see this beauty of engineering. When Jeremy laughs at someone's joke (often his own) who can't help but smile or laugh along? When he's genuine he is so good, then he reads through scriped junk, and it's not even subtle that it's a wind-up...it's a relief when he gets through it.

well, it wasn't the "regular" Stig then anyway, not for that jump

I rated the ep as an 8/10.

The race was solid, but not too special. The train is indeed an awesome example of craftsmanship. And I had no idea about the motorcycle, which is apparently also very impressive. But alas, none of the awesomeness of the vehicles really showed in the segment. Jeremy's arrival at the bar was epic, though. Kudos to him.

The Evora review was nice, but after all, it is getting old just to see Jeremy drift on a runway. I don't expect objective car tests from Top Gear, but more actual information about a car would be nice.

The FXX though.... wooooooaaah. The lap was uber-impressive. The car sounded and looked somehow like an R/C car, the way it went around corners. It really is a pure race car and I hope they take the time off the board next week.
After Schumacher - I won't say "The Stig" - put off his helmet (I didn't read any spoilers) it was pretty obvious that it was him before driving his own car around the track. Which is not exactly fair, I am sure no one knows the FXX as well as him while all the others cars' times were not driven by factory test drivers - or are they? ;)
The interview was good, I mean Schumacher isn't the funniest one to be interviewed. They played on the joke of him being the Stig pretty well, Jeremy's behaviour was fitting for that. And of course Schumacher says he drives all kinds of Fiat cars. He told a German magazine he "mostly" drives a Scaglietti because of the kids.
For sure I'd like to see Schumacher doing a full lap in the RPC - just for comparison.

Hammond's hair is amazingly terrible.

Cut the darn thing already! He's starting to resemble Rik Mayall :|

And I had no idea about the motorcycle, which is apparently also very impressive.

Hunter S. Thompson said:
Top speed is 140, more or less, depending on how the thing is tuned -- but there is nowhere in Los Angeles County to run a bike like that. I managed to get it back from Ventura to McGovern's downtown headquarters hotel, staying mainly in second gear, but the vibration almost fused my wrist bones and boiling oil from the breather pipes turned my right foot completely black. Later, when I tried to start it up for another test-run, the backlash from the kick-starter almost broke my leg. For two days afterward I limped around with a golfball-sized blood-bruise in my right arch.

more Vincent Black Shadow worship from the Good Doctor at: http://www.vincent-hrd.co.uk/hst.html

Very good episode, the news was a bit rambling and seemed under rehearsed, but I enjoyed the Lotus Evora test.

Epic race, a very creative idea, photographed & scripted very, very well.

And big respect to MS for going on the show & being such a good sport to play along with the fun. :cool: (A very clever piece of marketing.)

good ep. too little on that marvellous old machinery in the race, one can see than Jeremy and James could talk interestingly about those machines, "news" was crap - Jeremy's not a comedian and it shows in his scripts. those guys are best when they're kinda ad-libbing, in action, in true interaction. Lotus - what a great car, kinda supercar for girls (soft, elegant...).
the regular Stig walks differently to Shumi, and anyway its just another fun set-up, what could be expected.
Hammond's hair is funny. and looking at him on the Black Shadow somehow I was reminded about the Black Adder. btw was his light not working?
some of the British scenery from the race was just breathtaking. I also liked at one point when James and Jeremy where talking on their phones during the race (split screen) how one's voice was in the left speaker, and another's in the right one. and what a fun moment for those pedestrians at the end of the race suddenly seeing a charred Jeremy running around like a mad man with camera crew behind him. I am glad the car won.
overall a solid 8. I am not succumbing to the hysteria caused by the long wait for this series;)

Great episode, I gave it a 9.

The Lotus review was very Clarkson but nothing new, and the Schumacher bit seemed rushed, but that's nit-picking. Excellent Top Gear, wish all TV was this good.

Did anybody noticed hammond's new visual style inspiration ?

Richardsmileplusleatherjacketitshamster.jpg

notice the smile, the hair and the brown leather jacket !!!

Its Obvious ! :D

i would love to send this to TopGear office in order to joke a little with them, maybe they would even show it on the show to mock hammond :lol:

Edit:

i'v just finished sending the email to topgear. hope they will read it

btw great episode i voted a solid 9

Last edited:
awesome episode!, lots of laughts.
JC cleaning his black and dirty hand after shacking it with JM lol

poor damon hill, watching MS reciving all the credits, until the power lap on the liana
that cameraman was in more danger than the ones in desert storm. hahahaha

As if there were any floating doubts about the Schtig (love that portmanteau), check out the screen shot chosen for the Australian site.

670x377Image.jpg

Man, some of you guys are harsh! Who cares if they didn't mention actual car news in the news segment? It's Top Gear, remember? It's not actual news, it's whatever stupidity they can come up with that is entertaining on some level and in some 6-degrees way related to cars.

And I enjoyed the race, but it's a bit odd, isn't it? Not exactly epic, but certainly not short and silly, like the parkour kids or the rock climbers. Maybe this is a new type of race? Classic?

As for the Schtig... well, we'll just have to see what happens next. Clearly, they're not killing Stiggles off, as he was in the season teaser.

I'll have to sleep on it before I rate it, but I'm just so glad to be immersed in new TG, I'm giddy. ^_^

I think they'll have a new car by season 14... They had the Liana for 7 seasons so they might do the same with the Lacetti or not... >_>

Speaking of the Reasonably priced car: I wonder if it isn't about time to replace the Lacetti this season?

My guess is it'll be replaced in Series 15. (Seven seasons with the Liana (not counting F1 usage beyond that), same for Lacetti.)

It'd be nice if the replacement was a Dacia Sandero! :)

:lol: That'd be brilliant.

Did anybody noticed hammond's new visual style inspiration ?

Richardsmileplusleatherjacketitshamster.jpg

notice the smile, the hair and the brown leather jacket !!!

Its Obvious ! :D

i would love to send this to TopGear office in order to joke a little with them, maybe they would even show it on the show to mock hammond :lol:

Seriously, just send it or I will!