Random Thoughts....

All this exam talk makes me even more happy that I don't have any of those :p

There are very few lines of work where you can do without exams every now and then. Regularly brushing up on your knowledge is necessary to advance in your job, and sometimes you need to learn new skills. The major difference is that most work related exams have a lot less bullshit in them, and you can decide to take them when you want to. I myself have set myself a goal of at least one exam every 2 months, provided there are no other major things playing in my life (like getting married, having children, buying a house, moving, etc). Let's see if I can keep it up.

Reader Comments:
"Drunk off my ass."
"Takes shit-faced to a whole new level."
"He earned the Award, no ifs ands or butts about it."
"This puts a new light on the old saying. 'Up Yours Mate!'"
"Up the hatch."
"What a bummer."
"Rectum? Hell no it killed him."
"In the end, no drinks for me, thanks."
"A drop never touched his lips."
"Texas is back in the lead!"
"Beware what lies beneath."
"Coitus alcoholus."
"Bottoms up!"

Hilarious! :lmao:

Speaking of Darwin, I'd give anything for a video of this:

Cats Land On All Four
2009 Honorable Mention

(8 May 2008, California) 24-year-old Mike, an operator for a gravel company, did not intend to perform a death-defyiing stunt with a 40-ton construction machine. He was only trying to free a bulldozer stuck atop a 50-foot high pile of dirt that it had been pushing. At the bottom of the dirt pile, beyond the edge of the property, was a 35-foot drop down to the next property. A five-foot dirt berm protected the edge so trucks would not accidentally drive off the cliff.

Despite several better options, Mike decided to pull the stuck machine backwards with an old front-end Caterpillar loader. Driving up a dirt ramp at a 40-degree angle is nerve-racking enough without doing so knowing that your vehicle's brakes are inoperable. To compound the risk, Mike decided to load the Caterpillar's bucket with dirt to give the vehicle more weight.

[[Darwin asks, why are its brakes inoperable? is that normal on this type of vehicle, or is it broken?]]

At the top of the pile of dirt, Mike did as he was trained. He took off his seatbelt, took his foot off the throttle, and hit the button to engage the parking brake--forgetting that it did not work. In fact, on CAT loaders, setting the parking brake automatically puts the transmission in neutral. He began to exit the loader, which was rolling backwards. When Mike noticed, he jumped back into the cab and hit the brake pedal but... nothing happened. The loader continued downhill.

At 25 mph, the five-foot barrier did little to slow 40 tons of rolling steel and dirt, but it did give the loader a good launching height. In a stunt that would make Evil Knievel sweat, the machine careened up the berm and launched into the air, clearing the cliff and landing on the adjacent property 35 feet below and 50 feet away.

Mike was thrown through the rear windshield and onto the engine compartment. Miraculously, the loader landed on all four tires, and Mike was able to walk away with just a few cuts and bruises. Looking back at the incident, Mike laughs and says he proved that 'a CAT always lands on all fours.'

http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid2009-05.html

seal-of-awesomeness.jpg

Lady luck was with Mike that day! If Mike has never tried the lotto, I think he should.

Hotspot shield is awesome, no more Youtube restrictions... although Hulu doesn't work.

p.s. Dunno if you Americans can use it to view I-Player?

Sweeeet. Should be pretty cool to see that many of them in one place. Just like that Top Gear episode where they went to Vietnam and James & Hammond loved being around so many bikes.
Subaru drivers tend to show a strong sense of community, just like bikers.

Whenever I see a big Benz approaching I give a friendly wave but Mercedes drivers are a bunch of wankers so all I ever get in return is the stink eye. Or occasionally, the crook eye.

And hey, it's in Illinois as well! You could drive there. ;)

^That does sound cool Jayhawk! Isn't the world record held by that tribute to Colin McRae they featured on Fifth Gear? If so I don't know how I would feel about breaking that record.

Also tonight is shaping up pretty nicely, USA beat Spain 2-0, I just had breakfast for dinner, and Texas v. LSU is coming up in the final of the College World Series (baseball).

^I think Colin would be happy to see it broken.

^That does sound cool Jayhawk! Isn't the world record held by that tribute to Colin McRae they featured on Fifth Gear? If so I don't know how I would feel about breaking that record.
Easy way to fix that: make it a tribute to Colin McRae. ;)

So I think my external hdd has bought it. When I switch it on it is either not recognised in the My Computer section or if it is, I go to click on a folder on the hdd and it does nothing before giving me a (not responding) error. It's annoying because all my music, movies, Top Gear, err..other assets were all contained on it.

:blowup:

So I think my external hdd has bought it. When I switch it on it is either not recognised in the My Computer section or if it is, I go to click on a folder on the hdd and it does nothing before giving me a (not responding) error. It's annoying because all my music, movies, Top Gear, err..other assets were all contained on it.
I feel your pain. My (full) 500gb one died a month or so ago. :hug:

So I've been in a training course this week, and the instructor kept (unintentionally I think) rick-rolling me. Whenever we'd have to do an exercise, he'd say something like "Okay, on with the task now, you know the rules".

I feel your pain. My (full) 500gb one died a month or so ago. :hug:

And people wonder why I refuse to use external drives. I understand some people have no option, but if you have a desktop, get internal drives. In the past year, easily 10 external drives have died in the hands of FG members.

I have never had an internal drive fail on me. In fact, I still have a 6.5 GB IDE in my old Pentium III box. No experience with external ones though.

And people wonder why I refuse to use external drives. I understand some people have no option, but if you have a desktop, get internal drives. In the past year, easily 10 external drives have died in the hands of FG members.

I have never had an internal drive fail on me. In fact, I still have a 6.5 GB IDE in my old Pentium III box. No experience with external ones though.

Hrmm, interesting. So maybe instead of another external I should get an internal as I dont really need the portability of an external so much these days. More reliable, and cheaper too.