Random Thoughts....

During this time, he has the room all to himself (he only has 2-3 morning classes). One day I didn't go to work, so I saw what he does with his time - he plays solitaire all day long and listens to Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey and their Japanese alternatives (that's pretty ghey if you ask me)...while he is listening to that crap, I always put my headphones on. The opposite is not true, however.
So whenever I come back from work, he is always in the room listening to that crap. Eventually, at some point he goes somewhere for a while. At this point, I'm thinking - my turn. So I crank up the volume (only to about 50%) on my JBL's and play Deep Purple, Whitesnake, AC/DC etc. He then returns to the room, and tries to play his music while mine is still playing! Of course, he has no chance with his tiny laptop speakers...Eventually, he gives up after 15 minutes and turns it off and leaves the room again, obviously annoyed by me.

I've had similar problems in the past with other roomates. For example, I'm in the room - watching some movie on the computer. My roomate comes in the room and decides that he is going to watch TV at the same time, and the war of the speakers begins once again.

Am I an asshole? Am I doing something wrong?

To put bluntly, you're both assholes, headphones and PMPs were invented for a reason and both of you should be using them. Some may not like your particular taste in music or like a nice quiet and serene environment. There's no reason for a war of the speakers quite frankly and its almost an ego-tistical battle for patheticness to partake in one if you ask me.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta agree with LeMans although I wont go to the extent of calling you assholes :p

I share a house with three other people, and as all of our computers are in the same room, thats where we tend to spend majority of our evenings. As I dont want to hear their constant WOW noises and whatever else, and they don't want to hear the various music and TV shows I like to listen to and watch, we all wear headphones. Makes life a bit easier and reduces conflict.

So you need to be considerate of each other's needs. Give and take basically, and your roomie (and you) need to realise that it's not a one way street.

Last edited:
Am I an asshole?

No sir. You drive a Volvo. You are a king amongst men!

But Red_bill is correct.. Headphones are a good thing.. OR get your own place!

Last edited:
So I think my external hdd has bought it. When I switch it on it is either not recognised in the My Computer section or if it is, I go to click on a folder on the hdd and it does nothing before giving me a (not responding) error. It's annoying because all my music, movies, Top Gear, err..other assets were all contained on it.

:blowup:

:(

To put bluntly, you're both assholes, headphones and PMPs were invented for a reason and both of you should be using them. Some may not like your particular taste in music or like a nice quiet and serene environment. There's no reason for a war of the speakers quite frankly and its almost an ego-tistical battle for patheticness if you ask me.
You're absolutely right...however if he is not doing it, why should I? I am a stubborn man - I don't like others to have power over me. This room should be shared - we should have equal rights. I like to think of it as a time share - if he can listen to his crap for 2 hours, then I should have the right to listen to my crap for 2 hours.
And like I said - he has the room to himself most of the day, while I spend my time at work.
From what I've read, most good universities are starting to have dorms where a person has a room to himself and only has to share a bathroom, kitchen and a living room with other people. That's how it should be everywhere! Who ever thought that putting two complete strangers in the same room is a good idea?
No sir. You drive a Volvo. You are a king amongst men!

Thank you, Sir! :p

I would rather sleep in my car than have such a dorm.

I'm hungry...

You're absolutely right...however if he is not doing it, why should I? I am a stubborn man - I don't like others to have power over me. This room should be shared - we should have equal rights. I like to think of it as a time share - if he can listen to his crap for 2 hours, then I should have the right to listen to my crap for 2 hours.
And like I said - he has the room to himself most of the day, while I spend my time at work.
From what I've read, most good universities are starting to have dorms where a person has a room to himself and only has to share a bathroom, kitchen and a living room with other people. That's how it should be everywhere! Who ever thought that putting two complete strangers in the same room is a good idea?

Currently, all student housing at my university is apartments. Through they did just finish a dorm hall for freshman, its still all apartments for sophomores and up. I would hate to have to share a single room with anyone, much less a random person.

Anyways, I don't think you are the asshole here, but a set of closed cans would solve all problems, it would drown on his music and make yours sound awesome. :)

I'm hungry...

Me too..
But I'm on a fast for that Tilt Table test I mentioned (probably) and I forgot to have dinner and so havent really eaten since 10. And I can't until 8 tonight. This is my version of hell. I also have hayfever or a cold and I can never sleep because if it so I tried napping, then I hear chainsaws and banging from the man ripping up our front path.

Becca = :blowup:

Anyone who spends more than 30 seconds at an ATM, needs to be shot in the back of the head with a shotgun... you stupid fucks.

Last edited:

You know, you could solve this problem by just asking him to use headphones when you're in the oom. Shove some text through google translate. It may not be entirely correct, but at least he'll get the gist of it. Speaking of being stubborn does anyone else have this god complex where they just have to win? Whenever someone I know outdoes me in something I'm good at I can never quite be truly happy for them, yes I act all nice but I always end up with thoughts at the back of my mind that say 'No, you can't win, you're not allowed to win, I'm just better than you'

Last edited:
Am I an asshole?

For the past three years in college, I've changed 7-8 roomates, because we've always had problems with noise. I should point out that in my university we don't have separate rooms, we live 2 people in the same room. I basically live with music, and even play some guitar, but I've always thought I was fairly considerate of others.
My current roomate, a new Japanese student who barely speaks English (actually, he doesn't speak at all...WTF is with these people, why do they come here?) wants to move out. He hasn't said anything, he just started packing his stuff yesterday.
This is the situation - I'm very busy with school and work every day, so I leave the room very early around 7a.m. and don't come back till 5-6p.m. During this time, he has the room all to himself (he only has 2-3 morning classes). One day I didn't go to work, so I saw what he does with his time - he plays solitaire all day long and listens to Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey and their Japanese alternatives (that's pretty ghey if you ask me)...while he is listening to that crap, I always put my headphones on. The opposite is not true, however.
So whenever I come back from work, he is always in the room listening to that crap. Eventually, at some point he goes somewhere for a while. At this point, I'm thinking - my turn. So I crank up the volume (only to about 50%) on my JBL's and play Deep Purple, Whitesnake, AC/DC etc. He then returns to the room, and tries to play his music while mine is still playing! Of course, he has no chance with his tiny laptop speakers...Eventually, he gives up after 15 minutes and turns it off and leaves the room again, obviously annoyed by me.

I've had similar problems in the past with other roomates. For example, I'm in the room - watching some movie on the computer. My roomate comes in the room and decides that he is going to watch TV at the same time, and the war of the speakers begins once again.

Am I an asshole? Am I doing something wrong?

Have you tried asking him to use headphones?

My mother-in-law just came by with a bowl of freshly picked cleaned strawberries :drool: I love strawberries and my bf doesn't really, all for meeeeeeee :D

It's that time of year again...time for the 35th annual Mid America Ford and Team Shelby Show. It's a pretty huge weekend with cars traveling from all over. Cars ranging from track racers, drag racer, to trailer queens. It starts and end with a car show tonight ans Sunday and has track days and a drag strip day in between. I'm very excited, got to meet Carrol Shelby a couple of years ago, this years goal is a ride in a super snake.

It's that time of year again...time for the 35th annual Mid America Ford and Team Shelby Show. It's a pretty huge weekend with cars traveling from all over. Cars ranging from track racers, drag racer, to trailer queens. It starts and end with a car show tonight ans Sunday and has track days and a drag strip day in between. I'm very excited, got to meet Carrol Shelby a couple of years ago, this years goal is a ride in a super snake.

If you poke around the show you'll find a group of Lime Mustangs somewhere. The Limers have been attending the event for a few years now. We like to bunch up together and listen to people walk by and mutter "God I hate that color, God I hate that color, God I hate that color..." :lol: