Flying Hamster

TurnerGTX

SNN2927B-682_834379a.jpg

SNN2927EE-180_834396a.jpg

SNN2927Z-380_834395a.jpg

SNN2927AA-682_834380a.jpg

SNN2927V-682_834394a.jpg

IT'S Chopper Gear - as telly daredevil Richard Hammond pilots a helicopter.

Richard, 39, is having lessons just months after a brush with death during a helicopter flight.

The pint-sized Top gear presenter - nicknamed Hamster - is keen to earn his wings so he can fly to and from his ?2million mock castle in Herefordshire.

The star, who drove a classic Morgan sports car to the flying school in Gloucester, boasts a collection of motors including a Porsche.

But a pal said: "No matter how fast his cars, a chopper will always be faster. Richard's so busy and a helicopter will make a big difference for him as he gets around."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2505599/Flying-Hamster.html

Here is what James had to say about this in his column a few weeks ago. :D

A proper aeroplane, as used by people of taste and refinement, simply needs to move forwards at a brisk trot to be rewarded with the miracle of flight. A helicopter doesn't really fly at all, as far as I can make out. It screams and bawls like a spoilt brat until physics eventually gives in and says, "Oh, all right, all right, off you go then."

A helicopter taking off is such a vulgar spectacle. A small aeroplane will roar briefly and then be gone, a dwindling speck in the inverted bowl. But the helicopter sits there whining for ages, then disturbing the peace with that slow "whump whump whump" noise, which very gradually swells to a petulant crescendo of "chumpa chumpa chumpa". Finally, after it has ruined the lives of thousands, there it is, two feet off the ground looking terribly pleased with itself. Look at me! Look at me! I can hover. Ha!

Bring on the Top Gear Super Challenge!!

Last edited:
I guess he's trying to one-up James :)

Oh God, what happens when Jeremy weighs into this competition? Is he going to strap JATO rockets to a Spitfire?

Reactions: MWF
Future Epic Race maybe? The flying hampster and Captain Slow in a Helicopter vs Jezza in a Car. :D

i remember something James said in one of his big idea shows about how 'helicopters fly by beating the laws of physics into submission instead of flying gracefully like a plane.'
perhaps they could do a bigger race. Jeremy in a car, Hamster in a chopper and May in a plane.

Does that mean he has to run in a wheel so it can fly?

I guess he's trying to one-up James :)

Oh God, what happens when Jeremy weighs into this competition? Is he going to strap JATO rockets to a Spitfire?

Probably trying to annoy James rather than "one-up".

And Jato rockets on a Spitfire? Do you mean this......?

6a3fb50fbb23caf2

Or this?

f70729f6e40605e6

Oh god. If Jeremy sees this as a challenge, I'm guessing he'll get an Antonov A-40 (nicknamed "the Flying Tank"... which, well, it was).
AntonovA40.jpg

If an aircraft's wing are moving faster than the fuselage, it is broken, and therefore unsafe.

I hope James has a word with him about learning to fly a helicopter, this is not a good idea for him.
If he has business commitments hither & yon, he should consider hiring a chopper with a commercial pilot to take him around as and when he needs one.
A much safer option and possibly cheaper too. :|

I hope James has a word with him about learning to fly a helicopter, this is not a good idea for him.
If he has business commitments hither & yon, he should consider hiring a chopper with a commercial pilot to take him around as and when he needs one.
A much safer option and possibly cheaper too. :|

Agreed. Nearly dying once is bad enough without lining oneself up to do a "McRae". No bad taste intended as the guy was a legend, although apparently a total cock when he'd had a drink but that applies to a lot of people. And I know - I'm a total cock when sober!!! ;)

Slightly OT...

That Morgan looks amazing in that pic!!:)

Actually, I think it makes sense. The fella lives in the countryside, helicopters can land and take off from anywhere (unlike "proper" aeroplanes), and it was a helicopter that got him to hospital after The Crash.

In other news, another epic race is in order.

To be honest it's probably not going to help him get to places faster, the universal rule for GA in the UK is that "if you have time to spare, go by air"...

Slightly OT...

That Morgan looks amazing in that pic!!:)

That's what I was thinking!

I don't care if it looks like something out of the pages of a Dick Tracy book, I can't help but love that car.

What do you call Hammond in a Helicopter?

HamstAir!

took me a while, but got there in the end

To be honest it's probably not going to help him get to places faster, the universal rule for GA in the UK is that "if you have time to spare, go by air"...

Exactly my point, mixing a rookie VFR pilot and filming/ business deadlines is not good. :(

Commercial pilot (preferably ex-military) with IFR & Night ratings can more safely wiz Hamster about as and when he needs. :D

I don't think it's a good idea. Helis are pretty dangerous and I don't somehow feel like Hammond is the kind of guy who should fly a heli. Helis should be flown by boring, serious people, maybe more like James May. He's a good pilot type and he has his fixed wings. Still, that's a lot safer than a heli.

Guaranteed if Hammond buys this he crashes into power lines within a year :(

...back to the studio (sorry couldn't help it)

But if he wants to fly a helicopter, good on him. He's got the money and the need for it, so why not?