The netbook thread

XP / Firefox

Weird. Even though I'm on 7 / Firefox now, I used XP for a while and HD was definitely seriously choppy then too.

I dunno what to say, I thought these netbooks were for the most part identical inside. Oh well, no biggie as I said.

I have XP and Firefox on my Acer 10" and it's choppy as hell...

oh well ,the SD version usually isn't THAT bad

Are there different levels of quality to "HD" Youtube videos? That could explain it... weird that almost identical hardware and software combinations have such performance differences. Using Firefox 3.0 btw.

^ Thanks, captain obvious.

My 3BD-memoried desktop with XP and Firefox stutters on HD.

^ Thanks, captain obvious.

Well I was thinking along the same lines, that maybe some are confusing HQ and HD videos on YouTube... I really can't see why the exact same hardware would be so different.

Hmm, maybe it has something to do with ones internet speed?

No, because even if you let it download completely and play, it can stutter.

No, because even if you let it download completely and play, it can stutter.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that.

But what could it be then? These netbooks are mostly all the same, only the RAM differs, and some have SSDs.

resource-devouring anti-virus maybe? Does it help to turn off the wireless? I know my laptop runs better when I've turned off the wireless & bluetooth. Let the vid download, turn off the wireless, then try playing.

Last edited:
^that is kinda hard for us who need wireless to view the video. I've disabled Bluetooth since I have no use for it, only difference I see is longer battery life

you are right about HD video on Youtube, the Ken Block 2 video is VERY high def, even my desktop (2.6 Ghz Dulacore, 2 GB RAM) has problems with that one, even if it's fully downloaded

I've done some playing around, and some videos do better than others. There are actually only a few that play smoothly... that's what I get for testing once. Most play ok but at a noticeably reduced framerate.

Last edited:
Most play ok but at a noticeably reduced framerate.

I think that's what's meant by choppy. ;)

I don't even bother with HD YouTube on my powerful desktop... many of them aren't totally smooth anyway, and it takes ages to reload if you jump to some other section of the video.

Anyone replaced the SSD on their EEE 900? (not 900A not 901)

This is the one I have Asus Eee PC 900 WF001 8.9-inch Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD (White)

I thought of just getting a really fast SD Card (SanDisk Ex3 @ 30MB/s) for it and installing Win7 on that. But geeman pointed out it'd be tricky so I think I'll replace the existing SSD with an MLC based Super Talent SSD.

Now comes the really hard part because both these options 16GB & 16GB SATA2 (way way faster) say they work in the eee900. My worry is that I'll buy it and it won't work.

Seems Super Talent make 3 versions in total

FPM16GHAE
* Sequential Read Rate: 40 MB/s (max)
* Sequential Write Rate: 15 MB/s (max)

FPM16GRSE
* Sequential Read Rate: 90 MB/s (max)
* Sequential Write Rate: 55 MB/s (max)

FPM16GLSE
* Sequential Read Rate: 150 MB/s (max)
* Sequential Write Rate: 100 MB/s (max)

Last edited:
if you're going to the trouble of swapping drives, you might aswell swap it for a PROPER hdd, instead of fancy SSD that's powered by witchcraft and is always too small :p

if you're going to the trouble of swapping drives, you might aswell swap it for a PROPER hdd, instead of fancy SSD that's powered by witchcraft and is always too small :p
Why? I specifically went for a model with an SSD rather than a 'proper' HDD, I dont need more than space for the OS + a few apps. Do you use yours to download 500GB a month?

8GB would be plenty for my eee, but its 5$ less, so I figured 16GB is fine.

Good Troll or really stupid?

You decide!

Anyone replaced the SSD on their EEE 900? (not 900A not 901)

This is the one I have Asus Eee PC 900 WF001 8.9-inch Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD (White)

I thought of just getting a really fast SD Card (SanDisk Ex3 @ 30MB/s) for it and installing Win7 on that. But geeman pointed out it'd be tricky so I think I'll replace the existing SSD with an MLC based Super Talent SSD.

Now comes the really hard part because both these options 16GB & 16GB SATA2 (way way faster) say they work in the eee900. My worry is that I'll buy it and it won't work.

Seems Super Talent make 3 versions in total

FPM16GHAE
* Sequential Read Rate: 40 MB/s (max)
* Sequential Write Rate: 15 MB/s (max)

FPM16GRSE
* Sequential Read Rate: 90 MB/s (max)
* Sequential Write Rate: 55 MB/s (max)

FPM16GLSE
* Sequential Read Rate: 150 MB/s (max)
* Sequential Write Rate: 100 MB/s (max)

So you already have a 16GB SSD in the eeePC but want to replace it with another 16GB SSD that is a bit faster? Does the eeePC can at least handle the faster SSD properly?

So you already have a 16GB SSD in the eeePC but want to replace it with another 16GB SSD that is a bit faster? Does the eeePC can at least handle the faster SSD properly?
Bit! The one in this eee is ridiculously slow.