Who can drive their manual clutchless?

Who can drive their manual clutchless?

• Total voters
You're not reading what car I drive are you? :D

Gearbox is slightly more agricultural than that on a normal car, and it takes a good pull to get it into neutral using the clutch.

I might try it tonight, was going to yesterday but chickened out and used the clutch.
I understand that; I've tried these things on old delivery vans from the late 60s and it worked alright. I can't imagine a Land Rover being more crude and agricultural than something that was basically made using components from a lorry. :lol:

You're not reading what car I drive are you? :D

Gearbox is slightly more agricultural than that on a normal car, and it takes a good pull to get it into neutral using the clutch.

I might try it tonight, was going to yesterday but chickened out and used the clutch.

Uhhh this is actually a common technique on Big Rig trucks/tractor trailers. They have transmissions without syncro's. My dad used to do it all the time in his 10wheel dump truck.

tried it last night, it's not so bad after all. It'll do it going from first to second and second to third without much trouble, but the gap in ratios is too much for third to fourth. I won't be making it a habit though.

So, this 'rev matching' business. Is the rev similar for all cars in that it's near the red? How would I find out without mashing the tranny?

So, this 'rev matching' business. Is the rev similar for all cars in that it's near the red? How would I find out without mashing the tranny?

You rev the engine in neutral to the point at which the engine would be at if you were in the gear you are trying to shift into.

That made sense in my head, but it might be gibberish.

yep, had an old corolla, used to lose the clutch all the time. Always managed to get it to a garage without a tow.

yes, I can...don't do it that often though

You rev the engine in neutral to the point at which the engine would be at if you were in the gear you are trying to shift into.

That made sense in my head, but it might be gibberish.
Since it's neutral, it won't be moving. And how do you know what rev the engine is at in the next shift? I'm utterly confused

Since it's neutral, it won't be moving. And how do you know what rev the engine is at in the next shift? I'm utterly confused

When the transmission is in neutral, but the clutch is out (foot off of it), the all the gears get spun around still, just there is no coupling to the output shaft.

Assuming you have a manual trans car, and a tachometer, here is how you figure out the revs.

Go drive it. Look at what RPMS you are at in 1st when you are about to change gear, once you engage 2nd gear, check the gauge again for the rpms. Do the same for every gear.

You'll be able to figure out the spread on the gearing that way. Otherway is to find out what gear ratios the car has and do the math.

I shift my manual, crotchless

Today, I just had an epiphany.

Shifting without the clutch hurts the synchros, yes. However, if you are proficient at shifting sans clutch you wear the synchros less when say, your slave cylinder packs up and you have a 28 mile drive home.

I swear to god I've never took so many tight turns in 4th gear. I was just waiting for the inevitable Sheriff Buford T. Justice to pop up behind me. "I know I took that turn at 35 mph officer, but isn't that the speed limit?" Think that cop would have a boring chase on his hands cause I wouldn't stop.

Maybe I could, but I don't want to. However, I can drive off in fifth gear, which makes changing gears unnecessary (But by god it takes some time to get up to speed that way :D ).