New Baby Aston in development

Hahaha, I think it's cute. Love the little V12 Vantage bonnet vents.

I'd rather have an IQ with the Scion bodykit.
scion-iq-1.jpg

It's more happy.

This looks like such an angry little city car...

I read about this in Autocar mag today, it will be offered to existing customers and new customers as an 'option' when buying a db9 or something like that. It will cost around ?20,000 in the UK and will be built at Aston Martin's goodwood factory alongside it's other cars. Aston expect to sell between 1000 and 2000 cars a year when it goes on sale towards the end of 2010. The cars will be IQ's specially built for the project, shipped to the UK then built up into the Aston Martin version, they will then be sold in Europe to start, with the possibility of selling it further afield later on, maybe ending up with cars being shipped from Japan, to Britain then back to Japan and sold at twice the price. Both Aston and Toyota have basically said that any possibility of future collaborations (Lexus hybrid systems being used on future Astons etc) rests on how well this new car is recieved and sells.

It will cost around ?20,000 in the UK and will be built at Aston Martin's goodwood factory alongside it's other cars.

Meh, the only way they can make this work is if they sell it for 40 grand, and make it ultra luxury, like beyond rolls royce / maybach on the inside.

From supercars to a supermini! These are the amazing pictures that will have car fans shaking their heads in disbelief. But it really is true...

Aston Martin is building a model that?s even smaller than a Ford Fiesta!

Based on the Toyota iQ, the Cygnet is the result of a joint venture with the Japanese giant. Details are scarce at the moment, but the tiniest Aston Martin ever is expected to share the same three-cylinder petrol engine as the iQ, along with its innovative three- plus-one seating arrangement.

It will also boast a Euro NCAP five-star crash safety rating. And with a low-emission, highly economical engine, the Cygnet will help Aston to meet increasingly stringent environmental targets too.
As you can see, the firm has managed to distill all of the design cues from its supercar range into a package measuring only three metres long.

Inside, expect the same attention to detail as you?d get on the DBS, with a leather-clad cabin featuring the very best materials, along with an ECU (Emotion Control Unit) that plugs into the centre console, replacing a traditional key.

However, not just anyone will be able to buy a Cygnet. In order to snap up one of the must-have urban machines, you have to already own an Aston Martin, as the firm is only making them available to existing customers. The company has identified that around 30 per cent of owners have small cars such as the MINI or Smart ForTwo in their garages, using them for short journeys to and from city-based offices. Now Aston is giving them the chance to buy their very own ?luxury commuter?.

Dr Ulrich Bez, Aston Martin chief executive, explained more about the Cygnet: ?Now is the right time for Aston Martin to take this bold step to embark on this special project ? made possible with the support of an organisation of Toyota?s stature and capability and the intelligent design and perfect city car package of the iQ.
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mo/motorloon1993/2009/07/02/car_photo_315169_25.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mo/motorloon1993/2009/07/02/car_photo_315172_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/237838/aston_martin_cygnet.html

Aston should never try to get in with mainstream cars, it's just wrong.

You all don't see the ingenuity of this car :)

It will ONLY be available to people who buy or bought a DB9, V8 Vantage or DBS.

That means it is a perfect understatement vehicle: You drive a small car but everyone knows you MUST have the real thing at home, too ;)

That means when you go to the posh shopping streets of New York, London, Paris or wherever, you can actually drive there with a small, environmentally friendly car without losing your face :)

I think it's a brilliant idea - if you keep in mind that it is not a car for people like us...

Last edited:

That means it is a perfect understatement vehicle: You drive a small car but everyone knows you MUST have the real thing at home, too ;)

That means when you go to the posh shopping streets of New York, London, Paris or wherever, you can actually drive there with a small, environmentally friendly car without losing your face :)

I think it's a brilliant idea - if you keep in mind that it is not a car for people like us...

I can't wait till these show up on the used market.
Even though it's a small car, it looks gorgeous.

It's almost the perfect cover vehicle for Aston Martin. LOOK! We're green! We have a city car! But even so, you're point seems moot. You can still drive to the Via Monte Napoleone in a Fiat 500 or to the rue du Faubourg St-Honor? in a Clio

Last edited:
You can still drive to Madison avenue in a Fiat 500 or to the rue du Faubourg St-Honor? in a Mini.

Those might be fancy, but they're not really posh at all.

Also, aren't emission standards across a manufacturer's complete lineup on the way? Might just be AMs way to get around those...

Those might be fancy, but they're not really posh at all.

Also, aren't emission standards across a manufacturer's complete lineup on the way? Might just be AMs way to get around those...

I guess you're right, I think this idea although pointless is still quite cool. It's almost as if Aston's offering this cynget as well.....how do I put this, like a free commuter toy to go with their bigger cars. Like it's not actually a real Aston Martin, but just something to go along if the owner doesn't want to bring his Aston out that day.

I think without the bonnet vents, this is a very cute and sexy looking small car. I honestly wouldn't mind owning one or picking one up second hand.

^ I agree, but keep the vents as long as they're functional, even if completely unnecessary. Then I'd cram a bigger engine in it. If ever a car called for an SBC...

I think that Top Gear Australia will need to bring back the 'What Were They Thinking?' board next season as a one-off ... :puke: