Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah, the sheet metal was thick enough on those that they are unlikely to have through and through cancer. If they have surface rust and faded paint, that's just a buying opportunity.
I?m guessing (hoping) that the guy recently imported the electra from the states and has planned to do the restauration ... because of the low dollar ATM you see quite some more old US-cars around here than usual. i mean, you wouldn?t go through the whole import-trouble for a almost 50 year old car and then let it rot here, would you?

:? I?m confused now ... 1960 electra or le sabre? wich one is it? The front definetley looked like that convertable NecroJoe posted ...

Google says this is a 1960 electra, and that pretty much is the car I was looking for (minus bad condition)
1960-buick-electra-1.jpg

i got that Le Sabre picture from Jay Leno's site, so, im betting that they are both the same, maybe different models and they are both correctly named. im not that much into those old boat cars so im far from being an expert. hope it helped you out though.

The Electra and LeSabre are two different models. The 1960 LeSabre has diagonally stacked front headlights, where the Electra has horizontal ones. The Electra is also larger and has a larger engine to match.

So did you ever write that up? I like reading a good Spectre rant. :p

My cousin's grandfather had a old V12 Jag XJS that he swapped a 350ci small block Chevy into. He loved the car, but he did have one expectation that the vehicle wasn't willing to provide. He expected it to work. The V12 was well maintained and low mileage, so he was expecting at least a few years of faithful operation out of it. But in less then 1 year it developed a major problem and the cheapest quote he could get was roughly $500 more then the value of the whole car. I think he tried to sell the car, but a non-operational V12 XJS wasn't worth much back in the day. He could have given it away, but he decided to keep it. He pulled the V12 engine and sold it. The money from that was more then enough to buy and build up a 350 V8, which produced more power, made the car feel lighter and more agile, and even gave better fuel economy. Not to mention better reliability.

I don't think I would call him a neanderthal for it. He just wanted an old Jaguar that actually worked.

Last edited:
My friend's 94 Mustang GT 5.0 with a brand-new 306 (.30 over 302) with heads, cam, intake, exhaust and forged pistons and rods threw a rod at 400 miles.

Big ouch.

Apparently he's replacing it with a 347, though, so MOAR POWAHHH

I recently read a letters page of the motoring section of a newspaper where someone was asking why Bentley wouldn't accept a recentley inherited S2 on the scrapping scheme. People like that make me just...ARRGGGHH!!!!

Last edited:
I recently read a letters page of the motoring section of a newspaper where someone was asking why Bentley wouldn't accept a recentley inherited S2 on the scraping scheme. People like that make me just...ARRGGGHH!!!!

There's a bright one.

Saw Top Gear's review of the new Focus RS, and it got me thinking.

How many RS Fords have there been? Anyone know where I could find a list of them all?

list of cars recognized by the RS Owners Club: HERE

I was just out cruising in the Mustang for a while. At one of the red lights, for no reason at all I reached down and pulled the seat slider, the seat slid back about 3-4 inches. Suddenly I was more reclined, my legs weren't bent to a weird angle, it became more comfortable, it was amazing the difference it made. I feel like a spanner now, I wonder how long I'd been driving around all awkwardly :lol:

I was just out cruising in the Mustang for a while. At one of the red lights, for no reason at all I reached down and pulled the seat slider, the seat slid back about 3-4 inches. Suddenly I was more reclined, my legs weren't bent to a weird angle, it became more comfortable, it was amazing the difference it made. I feel like a spanner now, I wonder how long I'd been driving around all awkwardly :lol:

I know how that feels. I remember after putting the new seats in my Jeep, I thought the sliders were back, but never checked, so I drove around stuffed into the dash for a few weeks before I decided to check. :lol:

Much better now.

Was on my way down to my local mall for a quick shopping trip when I happened upon... An Audi R8! :drool: I've never seen one on the road, let alone being driven on the road. Only seen them at car events and every now and then parked in valet various places around here. I was purposely driving slow willing the driver to open it up and gun it but I eventually passed the R8... seeing the driver was an older man who was not going to open it up at all. So sad to see such cars go to waste :(

Still, as I like to say when I see really nice cars, it was "sex on wheels."

I can one up that. I saw that new Mercedes SLC roadster all dressed up in stealth drive by me today while I was in Denver.

And I've already seen an R8 both in the wild (London) and at a car show (Denver), so :tease:!

On a more humiliating note, my mass air flow sensor went out today. I need to order a new one, which isn't too expensive, but unfortunately my car is out of commission until then. :(

Last edited:
On a more humiliating note, my mass air flow sensor went out today. I need to order a new one, which isn't too expensive, but unfortunately my car is out of commission until then. :(

Ah, C-class quality..... :mrgreen::lol::p

It's just a Mercedes thing in general, the MAF sensor going out every 50-70tm. Could be worse, I could have Lucas. :p

Except the Lucas MAF, crappy and limiting as it is, usually manages to last about 150-200,000 miles on the Series III. :tease::tease:

Last edited: