The Colony

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
anyone else catch the premier episode on the Discovery Channel?

from the first episode, it looks like it could turn out to be a little dissapointing, the way theyre doing it seems a little cheesy with most of the people being experts/professionals in different areas that are useful to the group instead of just being a bunch of random people... also it seems theyre being given almost everything they need

but i'll probably keep watching just to see them build weapons and vehicles and things, and it looks like it could possibly get better as it goes along

I think it would be pretty boring if it were just a bunch of random people trying to figure out what to do. I imagine that would turn into "Real World: Apocalypse" rather quickly.

I didn't catch it, but I'm looking for a rip of it tomorrow.

Is this the same Colony show where there are three families (one from England, one from Ireland and one from Australia) that settle in a valley in NSW and every now and then they bring in convicts and Aboriginal tribes and live like they use to in the 19th century?

Oh wait, doesn't really sound like that show.

I think it would be pretty boring if it were just a bunch of random people trying to figure out what to do. I imagine that would turn into "Real World: Apocalypse" rather quickly.

yeah I guess your right, its just that it doent seem very realistic to have some post-apocalyptic situation where a random group of people gets together and each one of them just happens to be good at something that helps all of them

Edit: Richmondgal, this is the show im talking about: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/colony.html?campaign=dsc-int-hp-dl-cy

I meant to post a link in the original post, doh

Last edited:
I saw it and yeah it seems a bit disappointing. It was obvious early on that the "handyman" was going to be a dick. And the skills of the people is a bit much, so far everything they've made works... Plus the thugs that show up are pretty lame since they aren't allowed to actually do anything expect make noise. I had hope for this show, now I don't.

Anything that Thom Beers does is going to be full of shit.

show description said:
The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10 weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable society.

Pulled that description from their site. They should have just dropped this same group of people IN south-LA... would make the show very interesting :p

Yeah, the skill set of everyone is just a bit too good to be true.

With my luck, I would end up with a dumbshit from McDonalds, a pussy who worked in a trendy coffee shop, and an old woman.

Without the threat of actual injury and death it really means nothing.