When one of the trio get old...

When one of the trio get old...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

camelfarmer

Car(s)
Ford focus
When clarkson or may get too old to do the show, or hammond gets too bored or too dead or something to do the show would you rather...

a. Carry on with the other 2

b. Other 2 plus new guy (who?)

c. Call it a day on what hopefully is still a high note

d. Get em back in and make them do it till they die

e. Sack em all and get 3 (or however many) new presenters

Discuss.

Sorry for the missing o in the title

Last edited:
I hope Top Gear doesn't go on that long...

Reactions: TC
I hope Top Gear doesn't go on that long...

Yeah, I got to agree. TopGear will be a classic, but they shouldn't drag it out for too long. All their brilliant ideas from earlier series have been re-hashed so many times, it's beating a dead horse into the ground. Pretty soon they'll have exhausted everything way too much and the show will flop, most likely. If they can't come up with some original ideas, then there is no point going on.

The one thing that I've always loved, and the one thing TopGear rarely does anymore, is when they get brand new competing cars and test them together against each other. That's one thing that they'll always be able to do, what with new cars coming out all the time. The only problem is they wouldn't be able to crash into eachother and set them on fire, which is probably why they don't do them much anymore.

Series' rarely survive the departure of a key cast member. One of 'em get too old, can it, so it's not like those zombie series' you sometimes will catch glimpses of in syndication, where nobody wants to be there and the parents are left taking care of kids that aren't their own just so the sets don't have to be thrown out.

That's referring to sitcoms rather than TG, but the point remains. Zombie series' don't usually work.

It will no longer be known as Top Gear but 'Last of the Summer Wine: The Next Generation'

ANYWAY!

To me Top Gear is starting to get a bit stale the more it goes on.
Not very stale, just a bit.

But when the day comes that one of them can no longer be on it and they keep going, it'd be, well, I'll let this picture sum it up.

SexPistols-FloggingADeadHorse.jpg

(HINT: I'm talking about the title, not anything else in the picture.)

I would say that if either Clarkson or May have to go for whatever reason, thats the end of TG.
Hammond can easily be replaced.

I would say that if either Clarkson or May have to go for whatever reason, thats the end of TG.
Hammond can easily be replaced.

The show would not be the same. It is possible the show could continue, but it would never be as good. These 3 have set the bar pretty high and NONE of them can be replaced, much less easily.

The problem with the majority of "reality" shows is that they run out of ideas quick. Top gear was able to last this long and that's amazing.

Hell's Kitchen for example, has no future, because it's just the same challenges, the same style of rendering, the same Gordon yelling and calling everyone a donkey.

With TG the saving grace is that the auto industry isn't constant. So they can continue to test cars as someone had previously mentioned.

However they've built this character dynamic behind all the reviews and so if you lose a member of the trifecta its just not the fucking same.

Can you imagine if RH and JC are standing there to comment on something knowing full well that James would have retorted with a witty comeback, but leaving it empty? I couldn't bear that for more than a minute.

Who knows, maybe TG will cease production after a short while, call it quits for about several years or so and come back again with fresh new ideas and possibly some new people and style of presenting.

In the meantime, c. I would give up on TG and sign off.

TBH I'm already starting to wan in interest. I wasn't like looking forward to this season's TG as much as let's say between season 9 and 10 or 10 and 11.

The show would not be the same. It is possible the show could continue, but it would never be as good. These 3 have set the bar pretty high and NONE of them can be replaced, much less easily.

The reason I say that is because Clarkson and May are exceptional presenters, while Hammond is not.
He works well with the 2 others, but that's because of their brilliance.
Of course there would be changes, but anyone they bring in would be made to look good by Clarkson and May.

c for all the reasons stated earlier.

I hope that once TG has finished, they will occaisionally do other programmes together. The chemistry between them is to good to be wasted.
What about Richard and James travelling across god-knows-where on their bikes. :cool:

Last edited:
Clarkson leads the show, I think. If he doesn't in the show, that is the end.

Series 13 is not as well as older series. They break for 6 month and come up with non-exciting things.

To be honest if any one of them goes we just draft in the 4th presenter - Mr. Andy Wilman!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sixn6WzTZgc[/youtube]

Last edited:
Who's fred?

Reactions: LP
Did actually want to vote D for all selfish reasons.
However being that there was no 'D' button I decided on C, because actually, when TG3 want to stop, they should be allowed to. When they loose the excitement / energy then TG would naturally loose it's spark. Much better to go out on a high (but am really hoping that day never actually comes!)