CVT?!

I have got the owner's manual and its full of shit. I need the factory service manual now.. :s
What exactly are you looking for from an FSM that the regular manual won't tell you?

It doesn't tell me how to change the ATF, what kind of the ATF we should put in and lastly, I could only find the owners manual for the 1NZ-FE engine while i have the 1.0 liter engine.. I don't know what code it is..

The manual is as boring as toyota's cars are.. seriously, the owners manual is USELESS.. it tells how to deal with the lights on the dashboard and also tells you that if some lights start blinking or turn on, stop immediately and call the toyota dealership :p

It doesn't even have a dipstick for the gear oil..

Last edited:
Try contacting Aaron Willis at Lithia Toyota in Springfield. Tell him that your buddies in the MR2 club directed you to him. I can't guarantee that he'll help you out but there's a chance! He should be able to give you part numbers for the fluid you need, and the quantity. He could even post it to you but that would be a bit un-economical since you are in Pakistan lol

awillis@lithia.com

If you have to ask about changing the fluid, don't bother doing it yourself. You will fuck something up, then complain about it.

:lmao:

Lol.. no thats not a problem when i do it on the cherokee.. and others.. its easy on them.. this thing doesn't have a dipstick / a filler tube and this is NEW to me.. any ideas? There is a drain plug down in the oil pan.. and thats all i can find, how to put the oil in and how to check that how much more oil should be put in.. I don't know..

Try contacting Aaron Willis at Lithia Toyota in Springfield. Tell him that your buddies in the MR2 club directed you to him. I can't guarantee that he'll help you out but there's a chance! He should be able to give you part numbers for the fluid you need, and the quantity. He could even post it to you but that would be a bit un-economical since you are in Pakistan lol

awillis@lithia.com

I have got the fluid and things now.. just need some time and either go to the workshop..or if I could figure it out, i would do it myself.

Just Floor it, if the engine keeps highRPM while accelerating then you got a CVT

I have got the fluid and things now.. just need some time and either go to the workshop..or if I could figure it out, i would do it myself.
You could try asking Aaron about the fill plug. He's an ace mechanic as well, not just a parts guy.

Or if you know exactly how much fluid it takes, then just remove the speedometer drive gear and pour it in from there.

Thanks, I will surely give him an e-mail..

No i don't know how much it exactly takes, you cannot know for sure anyways.. its not like im drying the transmission then filling up back.. just a normal flush.

You'll probably find that the gearbox oil in non servicable. Toyota have been going that way with all its auto's since mid 2005 - 2006. Dunno about the CVT boxes (havent read the tech breifing on the new prius which uses one yet) but you may find that its the same story.

It doesn't even have a dipstick for the gear oil..

Just read this post.

If the box has no dipstick or has one with a black top bit, it uses Toyota World Standard oil which does not have a service interval and does not get replaced.

Yeah my research says the same as well.. was browsing yesterday, jumped on the prius forums.. damn people there were actually getting samples of their gear oil and got them scanned from laboratories hahaha

So when exactly should we replace it? They just mention like 'Inspection 1 - 100,000 miles".. mine has done only 60K kilometers! There is no filter to change as well?

Nope. The gearboxes are designed as throw away items nowdays and new boxes come pre filled. Toyota WS oil is never replaced, ever. There is a procedure to check the level for the auto's but im not entirely sure about the CVT's.

Very true, I got taught to strip down and rebuild a gearbox but afaik it's done very rarely these days.