Welcome to Massachusetts, your car stickers are illegal here.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813673

According to the officer, ff you have some sort of advertising (stickers, logos, banners etc) on your PRIVATELY owned vehicle, you can be fined for not having 'Commercial' Plates if you live in Massachusetts.

The ticket:
wrxCommercialVehicle.jpg

I think it says 'Imporperly Registered .... commercial w/passenger plates.

The car:
wrxNhmsFrontStraight.jpg

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-9.htm

:blink:

According to the law, a commercial vehicle "A vehicle which has business advertisements or business markings thereon". Nanny state is migrating from the UK to MA

Aren't government budget squeezes wonderful things?

According to the law, a commercial vehicle "A vehicle which has business advertisements or business markings thereon". Nanny state is migrating from the UK to MA

It actually says that? Very poor choice of words. By that definition, a "Chevrolet," "GM," or "Ford" badge is illegal to have on your vehicle, as those are business markings and advertisements. :rolleyes:

Do you know that plate covers are also illegal? As in a frame, like the ones that come with the car when you buy it. Last inspection the guy ripped mine off and told me he couldn't pass me for them.

Also if you are lucky enough to have green plates that are only rear and not front they are now illegal. Next inspection mom's going to have to turn them in or she is going to fail. She's had it since her camaro.

Also, I should mention when looking up knife laws for this state, you can be arrested for pointy goth bracelets.

But if your car is from another state and you're driving with it in MA with stickers, you can be fined too?

I don't know how the laws works there

Aren't government budget squeezes wonderful things?
They sure are. Sales tax has gone up, tolls have gone up, my university barely got any state funds this year, and the governor is loved by all. Doesn't make sense to me but I guess that's what MA is all about.

Do you know that plate covers are also illegal? As in a frame, like the ones that come with the car when you buy it. Last inspection the guy ripped mine off and told me he couldn't pass me for them.

Also if you are lucky enough to have green plates that are only rear and not front they are now illegal. Next inspection mom's going to have to turn them in or she is going to fail. She's had it since her camaro.
Yep, the plate frame law is retarded.

Also, I should mention when looking up knife laws for this state, you can be arrested for pointy goth bracelets.
Nunchakus are illegal also. As are butterfly knives. shrug...

But if your car is from another state and you're driving with it in MA with stickers, you can be fined too?

I don't know how the laws works there
Yep, you can as far as I know.

All this got me thinking... You buy a car, which in itself is a costly proposition. You have to pay a sales tax and you may need to pay the gas guzzler tax and/or the luxury tax; then you have to pay to get your license renewed every five or so years; you pay for plates; you pay for the registration and have to renew it every two years, I think; you pay to get your car inspected every year; you pay a tax when you buy gas; you even pay to drive around - I spend probably around $5 a day each way on my way to work (don't have the exact number because I use fast lane). After all that the government has the balls to tell you that you can't tint your windows, you can't have a license plate cover, you can't have a license plate frame, you can't have stickers on your car, you can't modify the exhaust, you can't lower your car, you can't raise your car, etc. Is it just me, or is that just... wrong? And this is just pertaining to cars. I can go on and on about silly laws, such as no fireworks or bonfires allowed. Free country my ass.

Ah, Taxachussetts. Where everything but gay marriage is illegal or taxed to death. :p :D

FYI, most of those car mods and such that you mentioned are still legal (within reason) in Texas. :D

Did I mention that I only pay ~$60/year in road tax/registration per vehicle? And that we still have an $8 billion surplus in Texas? :D

Last edited:
Yep, you can as far as I know.

All this got me thinking... You buy a car, which in itself is a costly proposition. You have to pay a sales tax and you may need to pay the gas guzzler tax and/or the luxury tax; then you have to pay to get your license renewed every five or so years; you pay for plates; you pay for the registration and have to renew it every two years, I think; you pay to get your car inspected every year; you pay a tax when you buy gas; you even pay to drive around - I spend probably around $5 a day each way on my way to work (don't have the exact number because I use fast lane). After all that the government has the balls to tell you that you can't tint your windows, you can't have a license plate cover, you can't have a license plate frame, you can't have stickers on your car, you can't modify the exhaust, you can't lower your car, you can't raise your car, etc. Is it just me, or is that just... wrong? And this is just pertaining to cars. I can go on and on about silly laws, such as no fireworks or bonfires allowed. Free country my ass.

Well, don't think that here the things are so much differents :lol:

Ah, Taxachussetts. Where everything but gay marriage is illegal or taxed to death. :p :D

FYI, most of those car mods and such that you mentioned are still legal (within reason) in Texas. :D

Did I mention that I only pay ~$60/year in road tax/registration per vehicle? And that we still have an $8 billion surplus in Texas? :D

All that crap is legal in Wyoming too, and you don't have a vehicle inspection to screw with here. You pay once a year for your license plate sticker, which is based on the assessed value of your car at 15% depreciation from original price. The assessed value of my Mustang is $411 and it costs me $28 and some change to register.

And all that from a state with wide open roads, very few people, and no state income tax. Oh, we also have nearly a $1 billion surplus for a population 1/48 that of Texas.

I can't imagine why people would live is those nanny states, Texas and Wyoming are quite nice ;)

All that crap is legal in Wyoming too, and you don't have a vehicle inspection to screw with here. You pay once a year for your license plate sticker, which is based on the assessed value of your car at 15% depreciation from original price. The assessed value of my Mustang is $411 and it costs me $28 and some change to register.

And all that from a state with wide open roads, very few people, and no state income tax. Oh, we also have nearly a $1 billion surplus for a population 1/48 that of Texas.

I can't imagine why people would live is those nanny states, Texas and Wyoming are quite nice ;)

Yeah, our surplus would be larger except we kind of got nailed by a large hurricane recently and had to spend money on rebuilding. Which, oddly enough, is pretty much complete.

Geography. Luckily WA isn't too bad.

Geography. Luckily WA isn't too bad.

Not following you. A place of any combination of hot, cold, wet, dry, urban, or rural can be found in Texas. Wyoming is cooler overall, higher up, has fantastic mountain views, average temperatures range from 40's to 90's depending on where you choose to be, we have 3-4 major cities with anything you may need, or a quick hour drive out of state for anything else, and the rest is peace and quiet.

Not to mention that we have some great beaches (along with the requisite scantily clad women) here.

Paint flaking off the numbers/letters? A little green paint does the trick!

I've told you before, go to another place to get you car inspected. My Dad has had no problem with his plate frame.
And front plates only need to be on for the inspection, just throw the front plate n the trunk. If a cop pulls you over and notices just say well it fell off when I rubbed a wall parking.

It makes it even harder to move from New York to Mass. Besides your entire state does not get the "drive right except to pass" thing. Three years of law school and I am looking for residence in New Hamrapture. Oh the tax intensives!

Fuck New England. I am not staying here.

I've told you before, go to another place to get you car inspected. My Dad has had no problem with his plate frame.
And front plates only need to be on for the inspection, just throw the front plate n the trunk. If a cop pulls you over and notices just say well it fell off when I rubbed a wall parking.

And give asshole cops a reason to pull me over. Great plan.