Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

As long as the rust is removed and the body is straight, that's the important thing. Who cares if the paint matches? It's a Jaaaaaag.

As long as the rust is removed and the body is straight, that's the important thing. Who cares if the paint matches? It's a Jaaaaaag.

It ruins the effect if the Jag is "piebald."

Edit: By the way, one of my minions and fellow Jaguar owners, FordCrusherGT, is coming to Boston Monday. He is bringing his Ford Excursion and a Suzuki TL with him. Perhaps I should inform him of what you believe is a proper repair for an XJR, and in exchange he can demonstrate what he thinks the proper mode of employment for a Mellow Yellow New Beetle Convertible is. Hint: His truck is a 4x4, mounts the 6.8L V10 and its bumper is at about the same level as your rearview mirror. :lol: :evil:

How DARE I offer a suggestion for repairing a car. I must have my car destroyed. :roll:

Of course then again if your friend does slam me, and takes the convertible top off that is currently the ONLY thing not functioning on my car and the insurance company and your friend will generously be paying to replace it. How nice of you. Actually if someone hits me in a Ford Excursion, I will now know it was on purpose, and I can probably take legal action and use the money to fix every little thing that might be wrong with my car.

What makes you think there's going to be anything left to fix after a Ford Excursion runs over the rolling crumple zone that is a modern VW?????? :p :mrgreen: :evil:

What makes you think there's going to be anything left to fix after a Ford Excursion runs over the rolling crumple zone speed bump that is a modern VW?????? :p :mrgreen: :evil:

Fix'd.

And you're an utter pikey. I came out from work half an hour ago to get home, turn the key in the Mustang and just hear *click*. One click for each turn of the key to the start position. Battery good, starter should be good since it's a few months old, jump won't help. Must be the starter solenoid. Jumped that and it cranked over fine. Shuts down and starts up again too. Of course now I'm going to replace it anyway. So there you have it, an electrical failure in my Mustang. On an original 40 year old electrical part, still with FoMoCo stamps. Pikey.

Somehow I doubt your buddy wants the lawsuit, and probably jail time. If he does do that though, I will use the whopping lawsuit money to buy an E-type, a real one too not a replica. Then despite the fact I actually like those I'll drop a piano on it in mockery, so not only is it destroyed, it is destroyed like a marina.

Somehow I doubt your buddy wants the lawsuit, and probably jail time. If he does do that though, I will use the whopping lawsuit money to buy an E-type, a real one too not a replica. Then despite the fact I actually like those I'll drop a piano on it in mockery, so not only is it destroyed, it is destroyed like a marina.

Okay... if the insurance company body shop couldn't fix something as simple as a Beetle in a competent fashion, what makes you think that you'll get any money out of it?

They'll probably just buy you another Beetle, but this one will be a coupe with a billion miles in Zune Brown, and they'll claim that "it's just the same, take it or hit the road."

Even if they give you cash, it will be at most ~$9k less a whole bunch of fees and deductions (for poor condition due to poor body repair); even if they didn't deduct, that will barely buy you a rustbucket E only suitable for the scrappers that's in boxes and not running at all.

Last edited:
Okay... if the insurance company body shop couldn't fix something as simple as a Beetle in a competent fashion, what makes you think that you'll get any money out of it?

They'll probably just buy you another Beetle, but this one will be a coupe, and they'll claim that "it's just the same, take it or hit the road."

Even if they give you cash, it will be ~$9k less a whole bunch of fees; that will barely buy you a rustbucket E only suitable for the scrappers that's in boxes and not running at all.

Oh no, Premeditated destroying my car? I'm not talking about the beetle payout, I'm suing. Such violence will probably call for jail time as well.

Fix'd.

And you're an utter pikey. I came out from work half an hour ago to get home, turn the key in the Mustang and just hear *click*. One click for each turn of the key to the start position. Battery good, starter should be good since it's a few months old, jump won't help. Must be the starter solenoid. Jumped that and it cranked over fine. Shuts down and starts up again too. Of course now I'm going to replace it anyway. So there you have it, an electrical failure in my Mustang. On an original 40 year old electrical part, still with FoMoCo stamps. Pikey.

They used those same solenoids in Jeeps. You got lucky - the one in my Ford truck and my Jeep went out often.

Oh no, Premeditated destroying my car? I'm not talking about the beetle payout, I'm suing. Such violence will probably call for jail time as well.

I have bad news for you. Massachussetts is a "no fault" state.

I could run over your car with a bulldozer, back over it, run over it again, get out and moon you and so long as I paid the replacement price for it, there's nothing you can do.

Maybe, if you hadn't actually said you would. Now I can tag that as a threat, probably put on some intent to harm me, who would most likely be in the car when you go after it which is a whole different mess.

Oh, no. I (and everyone else mentioned here) specifically do not want you in the car. That would actually be a threat to your personal safety, and nobody's said anything about that.

But you're going to have to leave it unattended and parked someplace sometime. :lol: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen: And Massachusetts, IIRC, does not have the crime of "threats against property" on the books.

FordCrusherGT is also a pilot - perhaps we should take up aerial piano moving in your area? :D

Last edited:
If someone made similar threats to your property in Texas, and attempted to carry it out, aren't you legally permitted to blow their worthless shit for brains across the pavement?

If someone made similar threats to your property in Texas, and attempted to carry it out, aren't you legally permitted to blow their worthless shit for brains across the pavement?

If they're on your private property you can. Assuming they have the "make my day" law we have here, which I'm fairly sure they do.

Not until they attempted to carry it out - but then, yes, we can.

On the other hand, Kat lives in Massachusetts, where it is legal to perform such activities and attempting to defend your property from others is highly illegal. :D You can defend your life, but if the other party says unto you that he isn't threatening you and that he just wants your property, not only can you not shoot, but you must either give him what he wants or run away. To do otherwise is to commit a crime there. Isn't Massachusetts fun?

On another semi-random car topic - my father recently got the re-registration bill for his XJ12. It's just short of $600. Apparently they've decided that they should screw over everyone not owning a Prius out there in California.

We're reregistering it in Texas.

Last edited:
Not until they attempted to carry it out - but then, yes, we can.

On the other hand, Kat lives in Massachussetts, where it is legal to perform such activities and attempting to defend your property from others is highly illegal. :D

But apparently you can destroy someone's car and not be prosecuted. Your friend's cars will be in Massachusettes too. Hey that's a great way to get rid of all those propane tanks in the garage!

Oh and you can't do that anymore in texas. I remember hearing a lovely story about your perfect special state where some illegals were on a guys property and they sued him and won.