Rumour Mill: BMW's answer to the G-Wiz: Triumph

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Mini-E/241963/

Private customers can sign up to lease the Mini E from September ? and the car could pave the way for an all-electric Triumph, Autocar can reveal.
The German car maker gained the rights to the Triumph name when it bought Rover in 1994 and it could revive them as niche brands.
A fleet of 40 Mini Es will hit the UK roads by the end of the year, and while some will be run by public sector organisations such as electricity suppliers and local government agencies, Mini also wants around 25 members of the public to take part in this trial programme.
Those leasing the Mini E (costs for this will be confirmed in the next few weeks) will be expected to provide feedback to BMW on how the car performs in everyday life and normal driving conditions, and on how they cope with recharging facilities and the support infrastructure for electric vehicles.
The information will be key to the development of BMW?s next generation of electric vehicles and its ongoing ?Project i? programme.
A spokesman for Mini said an all-electric vehicle will be available from 2015, but revealed that it may not be called a Mini.
?It is going to be a competitor to the G-Wiz; it will be a premium model. It won?t necessarily be a BMW or a Mini, it could be another brand like Isetta or Triumph,? said the spokesman.

They could call it the Acclaim II.

This is why we need a :facepalm: smiley. Isetta would work very well for a city car brand, though, for obvious reasons.

if they keep it RWD, and have decent engines and cabrio and manual, I'm all in for it.. who am I kidding, it will be prius-wannabe.

Reactions: TC
Hmm, bringing back Triumph cars is an interesting idea, but I don't like the idea of them being electric and competing with the G-wiz.

Will they have a spitfire?

if not, triumph, please bugger off

If they make this as awesome as the Triumph bikes that'd be pretty cool... :cool:
But I doubt it'll be. <_<

I could easily see Triumph bikes selling crate motors for people to put into the Triumph cars. Especially that V6 they have. Or in the very least, someone will make a kit for it.

This better not happen. If Triumph comes back a a G-Wiz competitor, I'll die.

Dear BMW, the correct answer to the G-Wiz is this:
sledgehammer.jpg

I could easily see Triumph bikes selling crate motors for people to put into the Triumph cars. Especially that V6 they have.

lolwut?
Triumph only uses I3s and parallel twins in their bikes. :blink:

Not to mention Triumph motorcycles is a competitor of BMW.

Triumph the car company and Triumph motorcycles have been pretty independent of one another since they split in the '30s. I don't see a collaboration.

And our top story tonight: BMW misses the plot again.
More at 11.
Back to you, Chet.

When will BMW learn that they're good at making RWD sports cars and Mini Coopers and they should stop there?

An electric TR6 to take on the Tesla I would approve of.

Everything else? No.

So instead of getting an M3 CSL we're getting this POS? And if they make it it will sell by the billions because it's an eco-friendly BMW(people tend to forget how toxic the crap from batteries is). This green movement and safety regulations are killing all the fun cars out there either by hybridization or by tossing two tonnes of safety equipment in. The last episode of TG has now fuelled my hate towards the environmentalists who would like all of us driving Prii(?) and G-Whizes

Last edited:
An electric TR6 to take on the Tesla I would approve of.

Everything else? No.

That sound acceptable, though I might also be ok with a Tesla'd Spitfire, despite the name making no sense.

I saw the electric mini parked at my uni, plugged into an electric box, last week. The first thing my friend said as he saw it was "Man, that's gay."

And you know what the worst part about it is? it has no back seats... what's the fucking point? Just get a Smart!