Vote rig: Guardian best TV show of the noughties

Just as a warning, I believe i've now voted *snip* times, so if my votes get struck off (and they more than likely will!) we're screwed.

Edit: 60.5% is enough for me. I'll leave it up to someone else now!

Last edited:
Just as a warning, I believe i've now voted *snip* times, so if my votes get struck off (and they more than likely will!) we're screwed.!
Unlikely. If you hover over the bar representing the percentage then it shows the number of votes, in TG's case that's just under *snip*

Last edited:
They have locked the comments :lol: Maybe the mods finally realised that some people were taking it wayyy to seriously.

This is awesome.

If there's one thing we're good at at finalgear, it's rigging votes.. :D

If anyone else wants to take up the reigns of voting, it's very simple to do, just PM me for details :)

more than likely they buy into the notion of that Car's are evil. If you believe what the tree huggers say then all of the Earth's ecological problems can be traced back to the invention of satans chariot.
On top of that they also believe that the show promotes reckless driving, speed and cocking about in vehicles that could are dangerous and potentially fatal.
They also think that Jeremy Clarkson is a foul mouthed, opinionated, evil, spawn of satan, likes the sound of his voice, says anything to get a cheap laugh, the embodiment of reckless driving and says anything for a shock man.
But most of all i think its just because that they don't have a sense of humor and they don't hate Top Gear, they're jealous of the rest of us for being able to understand a show which is primarily about fun and entertainment that involves cars.
i mean if i wanted to watch a show about a bunch of wannabes doing anything to make themseleves interesting, saying something to offend someone, practice efforts to kill each other in various amusing ways while at all times trying to make us feel pity for them. well i'd just watch Big Brother.

Let's see....foul mouthed..check...evil spawn of satan...no that's me...likes the sound his voice...check..says anything to get a cheap laugh...check...the reckless driving thing...okay that's stupid....says anything for a shock...check. Now call me an idiot all you want but I'd say that actually sums Jezza up pretty thouroughly. Of course the thing here is that we all like that, for the most part at least.

But as for the whole uproar about the rigging and all....I can see why this isn't going down so well with everybody. Because let's face it, this vote has been rigged and far beyond the point when it was all fun and games. I find it a bit pathetic to be honest. Now all the people here seem to be enjoying the reactions and comments and to be fair, some of them are hilarious. However now let's look at the other end of the scale; how do you suppose other people are seeing this ?

All they see are some immature overly enthusiastic geeky fanboys who worship Jeremy, rigging yet another random poll just to piss off some "old Guardian reading ecohippies".

And you know what ?

I am actually with them on this one, for the most part. Now Top Gear is, to put it mildly, a very..very popular show. Thus it should be irrelevant to rig these kind of shows, because if TG really is that great, it should win on it's own. Or should it ? Is it really that people here are afraid, that TG may not win. To think that someone might actually vote for another show...to think that for some people TG isn't the holy grail of television ? Gasp !! For once I would like to see how Top Gear really measures up to other popular shows, most likely it would still win, without the help of some fanboys gone berserk. And even more to the point...who the fuck cares if TG wouldn't win every single meaningless and meaningful poll, award, trophy and prize there is. Just enjoy the show, okay ? Top Gear is a controversial show on it's own....do you guys really think this is the type of publicity the show needs ? Fuck no ! Top Gear has a faithful following and that's great, but stuff like this really stains the image of the show. To a certain extent any show, band, car or any other phenomenon is only as good as it's fans. And right now the public image of TG fans, at least in the UK isn't shining very bright.

If I look at this from an unbiased point of view, it really does seem that some geeks are at it again, snickering away that once again they have succeeded in what can only be described as a total waste of time. I know, I know...I am again being too serious and boring and I should lighten up a bit yadayadayada. But this kind of stuff really is driving me up the wall and I think it is about time some people mtake a healthy dose of reality check and wonder away from their computers.

Just think about this for a few brief moments and tell me I am completely 100% wrong. I dare you...and I bet you can't say that. What you can tell me (again) to go watch Fifth Gear you boring old geeser (which is a nice compliment for someone under 25 by the way)...you can also tell me to sod off and all that...but I dare you to tell me this hasn't gotten out of hand. I bet that if the production team at TG sees this, their initial reaction will be a deep, quiet facepalm. They are already making spiteful remarks about internetdweebs and the witchhunt regarding the identity of The Stig and quite deservingly I might add. What do you suppose they think of this ?

Go on...I dare you...

The fan base of the other shows are free to ban together and get out the vote for their show. What? Their fan base is not as big as Top Gear's? Well, I guess that is why TG is so far ahead of every other show on the list.

I would be embarrassed to say I watched most of the shows on that list. I voted ONCE for my favorite.

The man from Finland above is talking sense.
This one is a bit out touch from reality,but it?s as pointless to argue about it as doing it.
I gave my 1 vote to TG becouse i truly believe it?s the best show on the list(well maybie Dexter is).

If I look at this from an unbiased point of view, it really does seem that some geeks are at it again, snickering away that once again they have succeeded in what can only be described as a total waste of time. I know, I know...I am again being too serious and boring and I should lighten up a bit yadayadayada. But this kind of stuff really is driving me up the wall and I think it is about time some people mtake a healthy dose of reality check and wonder away from their computers.

I think you're somewhat missing the motivation here...

The poll is essentially a puzzle to be solved, for those with an inquisitive mind. Took a few minutes to figure out how to post votes and then how to accelerate & automate the process. Since then i've not needed to do anything at all. You seem to be under the illusion that you have to be extremely geeky and willing to waste hours to achieve such results, which really isn't the case. Essentially i've left an EEE701 running for a day. I wasn't originally going to vote for Top Gear, I figured i'd pick something no one would vote for so I had a better measure of success. In the end I decided "sod it, two birds with one stone" and stuck with them. As it turned out whoever i'd picked would now be leading as the system worked better than expected.

As for the perception by other people, really don't care to be honest, it's been for the lulz anyway. If the Guardian wanted this poll to be taken seriously they should have put even basic protections in place to prevent multi voting. I fully expect that when the Guardian staff get back to work tomorrow the poll will be returned to normal. The fact that it annoys Guardian readers is purely an amusing side effect rather than the motivation.

Let's see....foul mouthed..check...evil spawn of satan...no that's me...likes the sound his voice...check..says anything to get a cheap laugh...check...the reckless driving thing...okay that's stupid....says anything for a shock...check. Now call me an idiot all you want but I'd say that actually sums Jezza up pretty thouroughly. Of course the thing here is that we all like that, for the most part at least.

But as for the whole uproar about the rigging and all....I can see why this isn't going down so well with everybody. Because let's face it, this vote has been rigged and far beyond the point when it was all fun and games. I find it a bit pathetic to be honest. Now all the people here seem to be enjoying the reactions and comments and to be fair, some of them are hilarious. However now let's look at the other end of the scale; how do you suppose other people are seeing this ?

All they see are some immature overly enthusiastic geeky fanboys who worship Jeremy, rigging yet another random poll just to piss off some "old Guardian reading ecohippies".

And you know what ?

I am actually with them on this one, for the most part. Now Top Gear is, to put it mildly, a very..very popular show. Thus it should be irrelevant to rig these kind of shows, because if TG really is that great, it should win on it's own. Or should it ? Is it really that people here are afraid, that TG may not win. To think that someone might actually vote for another show...to think that for some people TG isn't the holy grail of television ? Gasp !! For once I would like to see how Top Gear really measures up to other popular shows, most likely it would still win, without the help of some fanboys gone berserk. And even more to the point...who the fuck cares if TG wouldn't win every single meaningless and meaningful poll, award, trophy and prize there is. Just enjoy the show, okay ? Top Gear is a controversial show on it's own....do you guys really think this is the type of publicity the show needs ? Fuck no ! Top Gear has a faithful following and that's great, but stuff like this really stains the image of the show. To a certain extent any show, band, car or any other phenomenon is only as good as it's fans. And right now the public image of TG fans, at least in the UK isn't shining very bright.

Just think about this for a few brief moments and tell me I am completely 100% wrong. I dare you...and I bet you can't say that. What you can tell me (again) to go watch Fifth Gear you boring old geeser (which is a nice compliment for someone under 25 by the way)...you can also tell me to sod off and all that...but I dare you to tell me this hasn't gotten out of hand. I bet that if the production team at TG sees this, their initial reaction will be a deep, quiet facepalm. They are already making spiteful remarks about internetdweebs and the witchhunt regarding the identity of The Stig and quite deservingly I might add. What do you suppose they think of this ?

Go on...I dare you...

I imagine they don't give a shit, if I'm honest. It's just an internet poll, and if it wasn't rigged in TG's favor, it'd be rigged in QI's.

And what publicity is this going to really generate? That some TG and QI fans are somewhat obsessive? That the Guardian can't code a poll to save their life? That internet polls, as a whole, are fairly irrelevant, and often open to amusing stunts like this? That people think internet polls are serious business?

I love poll stunts myself, because you can't take them seriously. People need a reminder that entertainment polls are, as a whole, irrelevant, and by rigging them, you make them into an amusing joke. I personally think the Wire was the best show on that list, but I'm fully behind molding the poll in an amusing way.

As for entertainment being "only as good as its fans", that's a view that has killed some very good entertainment, and frankly disrespectful to production teams, bands, and other entertainment products around the world. The people in the world who declare that they don't like something because of some of the fans are the third or fourth lowest form of life, since they don't have an independent thought in their head and can't form their own opinion, regardless of peer pressure.

In short, it's just the internet, nothing important. Don't take it seriously.

Essentially i've left an EEE701 running for a day.

That is just a bunch of numbers and letters. That has absolutely zero meaning to me. I assume it's a program/code of some sort.

WillDAQ said:
If the Guardian wanted this poll to be taken seriously they should have put even basic protections in place to prevent multi voting.

Well...maybe the folks at Guardian didn't expect someone to leave some sort of program running, casting a million billion votes to a show. I presume you are one of those people who would hack into the NASA mainframe, had you the talent to do so. Just for lulz. And after succeeding say "Well you should've used a better encryption to prevent that".

I stand behind my words: I still think this is nonsense. If you mobilise people to vote for their favorite show just that one single time, that is okay, that's the point of the poll. But to vote multiple times, let alone use a software to do it for you is sad, it's pathetic and it's just plain cheating. Where I come from it's records which are meant to be broken, not rules.

Of course I understand the entertainment value in rigging useless polls, but in this case I find it extremely annoying because essentially it is one person alone who has decided the outcome of the vote, not a fan base/community. This has nothing to do with getting like-minded people behind a common cause. This is a one man show, which ruins the entertainment value completely.

Last edited:
Just a few comments from the website.

From petey123:

From birddoggsupreme:
But, more to the point, what a brilliantly orchestrated piss-take of Guardian readers.
I suspect that Private Eye is behind this, not the Daily Mail...

From JaneBasingstoke:
Actually I was under the impression that Top Gear was the first programme that had any sort of repeat votes. The Wire didn't need repeat votes until Top Gear overtook it.

I have not been consistently monitoring the votes. However I did notice when the West Wing started getting repeat votes and overtook the Wire. And I did come across a mention of a Wire spurt that could have been repeat votes. But it couldn't have been much of a spurt. The Wire still only has just over eight thousand votes.

The Top Gear campaign I mentioned wasn't organised by Top Gear itself. It was kicked off by a Top Gear fan who appears to be pissed off by the repeat voters it attracted. (Imagine if there had been no repeat votes and Top Gear won by campaigning only.) The campaign mentions techniques for manual repeat votes and more recently hints at automatic repeat votes. Some of the TG campaigners have encouraged people to do some repeat votes for QI, others see QI as a rival.

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/vote-rig-guardian-best-tv-show-of-the-noughties-37970/
http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/vote-rig-guardian-best-tv-show-of-the-noughties-37970/page-2/ (12:54 PM) (1:43PM)
http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/vote-rig-guardian-best-tv-show-of-the-noughties-37970/page-3/ (8PM)
http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/vote-rig-guardian-best-tv-show-of-the-noughties-37970/page-4/ (5:49 PM)

and the views of the man who started the campaign:
http://www.upyourego.com/blog/index.php/2009/07/31/mobilising-the-fans/

About 10 votes a second was my calculation too. But I wasn't thinking of just one manual voter.

I'm with Brother Michael on this.

All this vote rigging is doing is giving the site, and the show, a bad name.

What's going to happen in the future polls, even if we vote fairly, people are still going to brand the poll as rigged, all because some people got over excited about Top Gear being so fucking awesome.

This isn't the first time vote rigging has gone on in polls. It's gone too far now.

Why can't people just vote fairly, and face the fact that other people don't place Top Gear on top.

The guys won't give a shit either way, so why go to all the effort, just to pervert the name and integrity of the site?

That is just a bunch of numbers and letters. That has absolutely zero meaning to me. I assume it's a program/code of some sort.
If only there were some sort of website where you could enter a term into a box and it would return relevant results...

Well...maybe the folks at Guardian didn't expect someone to leave some sort of program running, casting a million billion votes to a show. I presume you are one of those people who would hack into the NASA mainframe, had you the talent to do so. Just for lulz. And after succeeding say "Well you should've used a better encryption to prevent that".
As i've already said, it's an inquisitive mindset. If you neither have nor understand such a thing then that's not my problem. Your second example would be illegal, so hardly a suitable comparison.

But to vote multiple times, let alone use a software to do it for you is sad, it's pathetic and it's just plain cheating. Where I come from it's records which are meant to be broken, not rules.
Quite frankly whining about it is sad and pathetic, but there we go. As for it being cheating, no actual rules were broken. If you're going to make up rules you thought should have been imposed and then accuse me of breaking them, well there's not a lot I can do about that.

Of course I understand the entertainment value in rigging useless polls, but in this case I find it extremely annoying because essentially it is one person alone who has decided the outcome of the vote, not a fan base/community. This has nothing to do with getting like-minded people behind a common cause. This is a one man show, which ruins the entertainment value completely.
Clearly you've not been following what's been going on very closely. More than one person from this site has been multivoting for QI, not to mention the various people multi voting for other shows... I actually joined the party late in the day. Unlike various others though, i'm not going to try to hide what i'm up to such that people still believe the result. As soon as anyone starts multi-voting the accuracy is out of the window, so may as well make it obvious.

i think everybody is taking this too seriously somehow.
everyone who started voting multiple times, be it manually or otherwise and maybe just for the fun of it, they've gone quite a bit too far by now imho. I have to say I am totally with brother michael on this, although I wouldn't call someone sad or pathetic just because they follow a different approach to something as I would or think proper.

the best thing to do for everyone now, would be to calm down, forget about the stupid poll and hopefully not have this discussion over and over again, because it won't lead anywhere. I don't think any of you will move from their point and I can understand that, to a degree, but there just has to be an end of it at some point.

so, be peaceful, calm down and go laugh your brains out in the demotivator thread! please?

The only thing that bothers me about this is that i voted honestly and voted once (and yeah it wasn't for Top Gear) but the problem is like other posters have said. no matter what happens now, the vote is going to be accused of being rigged and Final Gear is going to get a black mark next to it. Although this is a internet vote and in no ways binding and plus also i honestly don't give a smeg what any newspaper let alone the Guardian considers to be 'best' show ever.
It similar to why i never buy into what a film critic says about a film. Its just his view on a film and what he thinks about it and what i think about it are going to be two different things.
Best thing to do is just move on, i'm sure there's more important things for us to worry about (like how we're going to feed our TG addiction after 9pm tonight).

To the idiots running scripts to vote multiple times - well done, they'll just discard all the votes for top gear including the legitimate ones. I realise The Guardian should have taken the necessary measures to stop multiple votes but that isn't a reason to exploit it and invalidate everyone elses vote in the process.

To the idiots running scripts to vote multiple times - well done, they'll just discard all the votes for top gear including the legitimate ones. I realise The Guardian should have taken the necessary measures to stop multiple votes but that isn't a reason to exploit it and invalidate everyone elses vote in the process.

well said, now we'll all look like obnoxious internet dweebs..