TG host's wrist watches

It took me ages some time ago to find a watch that looked very similar to a Tag heuer Carrera for a friend
Usually you don't find a watch that copies most design features of the target watch without being an outright replica. Seiko "Carrera" on the left, Tag heuer carrera to the right
http://img58.imageshack.**/img58/4726/seikosnd7211xg9.jpg
carrera-tag.jpg

I personally don't like Tag Heuers though. In my mind they are the brand a guy who knows nothing about watches runs to because of all the marketing they do. Same as Rolexes or Breitlings. Purely an image watch.
If you want the best dress watch you go for Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, Blancpain, Breguet, JLC, Glassh?te, A. Lange&S?hne or Girard-perregaux
If you want the best sports watch you go for Omega, IWC, Zenith, Audemars Piguet, Hublot, or Panerai

Heh, the neg rep came quite quickly.

Last edited:
I personally don't like Tag Heuers though. In my mind they are the brand a guy who knows nothing about watches runs to because of all the marketing they do. Same as Rolexes or Breitlings. Purely an image watch.
If you want the best dress watch you go for Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, Blancpain, Breguet, JLC, Glassh?te, A. Lange&S?hne or Girard-perregaux
If you want the best sports watch you go for Omega, IWC, Zenith, Audemars Piguet, Hublot, or Panerai

Well, thanks a lot for the list. I was just about to ask for one. I'm looking at buying a fairly nice watch soon, as a present to myself.

You could go here if you want to read up on some companies and watches:
http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Also has some beautiful watch movement pictures.

As I have 2 Omega Speedmasters I will of course recommend them to you.
They are an excellent first watch and pretty much wearable in any situation.
In fact, nearly every watch collector has at least one of them. Plus the model was famously used on the moon and still is flight certified by NASA. Not of much importance to us earthbound schmucks but it's the thought that counts.

Last edited:
Thanks much.

Does anyone have anything, positive or negative, to say about Skagen?

The two I've really noticed are Jeremy's really oversized one he wore to Blackpool and James's really slim, black one he wore in Oz and James Drink to Britain.

Can anybody identify them for me?

Can anyone recommend a watch that has a similar design with the Monaco but costs a lot less (under 400)?

Maybe I should go abroad to by a fake one for 50 and then just drive my Morgan slowly while "randomly" gazing at my Monaco :cool:

You might find something as far as a knockoff HERE. It won't look exactly like it, but maybe something similar. I got one of these knockoffs a couple years ago. One of the automatics that wind themselves. Kept great time until I dropped it onto a cement floor last year. Oh well. Not out too much $$.

In looking through the shipping section, they will ship worldwide but payment has to be by a U.S. credit card.

I'm bumping this to the top. Hope to keep this alive and find out what the "guys" are wearing for series 14!

Also, while I have your attention. Can any of the watch experts tell me their opinion on Lum-Tec watches?

Well, aside from having probably the gayest name ever given to a watch company, they have reasonably good watches.

I personally think that they are overpriced as they have either quartz movements, the japanese automatic movement i can get in a 30$ watch or a random soviet automatic chronograph.

While the soviet industry may have a reputation of building tough hardware, they fail a bit at building mass market watch movements. I have a Poljot watch with the Poljot 3133 and it is somewhat clunky to use. You can feel that there is considerable play in the cogs.

I admit they are a small honest new manufacturer and have to build a name for themselves but there are better options for a similar price point available.

Anyway who decided that calling it L?m-Tec was a good idea? Lum-Tec is ok, but L?m-tec just sounds mega-gay in german. Like Br?no, which itself sounds french in german.

I don't get the watch obsession myself. Hell, I don't get why most women, including my mom go batshit crazy over bags/purses. Although I do go a bit crazy over boots/computers/cars/video games/gadgets/cars/anime & manga/cars.....

Me, neither. :hmm:

*hides her book collection*

It took me ages some time ago to find a watch that looked very similar to a Tag heuer Carrera for a friend
Usually you don't find a watch that copies most design features of the target watch without being an outright replica. Seiko "Carrera" on the left, Tag heuer carrera to the right
http://img58.imageshack.**/img58/4726/seikosnd7211xg9.jpg
carrera-tag.jpg

I always thought the Tag Carerra was a rip off of the Omega Speedmaster Pro.
OMEGA_MoonWatch.jpg

But yeah Im super into watches. I have a Movado which was got me interested in watches when I was like 12 or so, it was a gift from my uncle.

Since then I've got some decent Citizen automatic movements, and an Eco-drive, but my tastes have always run expensive.

In a few years I'll have saved enough to get myself a IWC Fliegerchronograph. Im not a fan of Rolex, or Omega or Tag.

l471.jpe

Then once I start making real money, hopefully within 10 years, I shall treat myself to a Vacheron Constantin or Patek Phillipe. Then if I really strike it rich its all A. Lange and Sohne for me, thats my lottery gift, unless of course I can get my hands on a Phillipe Dufour Simplicity.

You do realize that Patek Philippe's cost about the same or more than A. Lange und S?hne right?

You do realize that Patek Philippe's cost about the same or more than A. Lange und S?hne right?
Well not the one I like, and I would only get a PP Calatrava , under 20k versus a sweet Lange 31 or Pour Le Merit Tourbillon which is super-expensive, Ive heard qoutes over 100k for both but am never sure because guys who own it dont discuss petty things like money.:lol: