Top Gear "Hooligans"

j8mie

Was sorting through some of my stuff the other night and found this newspaper cutting. So I scanned it in and thought I'd share with everyone. Oh the memories :lol:

tg-hooligans.jpg

Last edited:
Wut? Something's missing methinks.

So the Black Stig did a U-turn, a power slide and that did that amount of damage to that car? I know it's a historic vehicle and all but drive shafts bending after a day on the track seems to speak about the quality of it's restoration

So the Black Stig did a U-turn, a power slide and that did that amount of damage to that car? I know it's a historic vehicle and all but drive shafts bending after a day on the track seems to speak about the quality of it's restoration

Exactly. Typical Daily Fail. Tossers.

That's just the bits which ended up on the film and knowing how much time and effort it takes to get each shot right, they have probably been trashing the car around the entire day. They have also made minced meat out of an M5 and the VXR8 spilled oil all over the track...those are brand new, 21st century cars and they can't take the abuse the TG crew gives them.

Here we have a million ? historic racer, from 1953....it wasn't designed to do this sort of stuff back then, why should it be able to take it now, 50 years down the road. This is one of the rare times I actually agree with the "fail" people; I do believe they did abuse the car in a way it was never intended.

Of course all this is only speculation as we can't know all the facts, but we do know the boys don't give a crap about the cars they throw around the track.

Last edited:
That's just the bits which ended up on the film and knowing how much time and effort it takes to get each shot right, they have probably been trashing the car around the entire day.

I'm aware of this. I think in this case both parts are guilty. The owner was, I believe, aware that Top Gear is a show about speed, Clarkson power sliding cars and pushing them to the limit, or as the BBC told the owner, "the car would be driven hard". On the other side, the BBC should have informed the owner about the way the car would be treated in more detail. So it might be more the BBC's fault. Either way, the car was returned with some damage that was the BBC apologized for(have no idea if they paid for it).

If I had a ?1 million car, and I lent it to a bunch of people I wasn't familiar with, you'd be damn sure I'd know exactly what they were doing with it. He should have either read the script beforehand, so he'd have grounds to say "that's not what you said you were going to do with it"... or pulled up a chair and had a relaxing afternoon sit at the TG test track.

We have to keep in mind that a film crew's job is to make a great film. Due to the nature of their work, most film crew members have little contact to the "outside world" while shooting, which means that they get a limited point of view in which the only thing that matters in the world is making a great film, come what may.
If that means damaging a priceless classic car, who cares, that's what they have an insurance for - the only thing that matters is getting the shot right!

That's why i would never, ever lend my car to a film crew.

(How do i know all of that? I worked in the film business for the past few years and the cases in which a car(or appartment, soccer field, standing stone, anything needed for filming) was returned to the owner without any damage are the minority.)

Last edited:
How much truth there is behind this story I'm not sure. Everything the Daily Mail talks about is normally over inflated nonsense. But in this case it was clear they did damage this great car. I think a bit of restraint was called for.

But on the flip side I also see that TG want to make entertaining TV, and that sometimes means breaking stuff.

Letting TV or movie people use your stuff is NEVER a good idea.

Hahahaa, the reporter went on and explained what a doughnut is =D What a plonker! :lol:

He writes for the Daily Mail, are you really that surprised SchumacherM? ;)