Whale wars: Watch Eco-pussies attack japanese whalers, and fail hilariously

But yeah, when they tried to stop the seal hunters in Canada (see previously posted picture) the Canadian Coast Guard used tear gas, boarded their ship and arrested them.

Damn straight.

So I'm the one that needs to lighten up? I think your sarcasm-o-meter is broken.

Perhaps.

Either way, it's time to man the harpoons!

I think the reason you like the Sea Shepherd is because you can identify with their constant failure. You've done nothing but fail so far in this thread, let me point out a few examples...

The reason you gave for being against whaling: "...I actually like whales - I have ever since I was a kid."

Fail.
Japanese people have liked to eat whales since before Jesus was a kid, they win.

Or maybe it was this: "There is absolutely no reason to kill these animals."

Fail.
There is no reason to kill any animal when you get down to it. Should we stop killing cows because Hindus consider them sacred?

You choose to support aboriginal subsistence whaling yet are against any Japanese whaling.

Fail.
Even the Sea Shepherd doesn't do that. They aren't hypocrites.

You said that "natives" (Japanese aren't native to Japan?) don't take many whales: "Native whaling is rare, so rare that when a tribe does take a whale (with permission) it can make national headlines... ...we still let Inuit tribes take a few whales..."

Fail.
The US aboriginies alone take about 60 a year. That's a lot of headlines!

You claim they use "traditional" methods: "...hand-thrown harpoons from seal-skin kayaks."

Fail.
They use modern methods, including modern boats, grenade harpoons and .50cals!

You claim it's all about money.

Fail.
I've given proof, but here's some more; Sea Shepherd itself claims the Japanese have made no profit for the past 3 years! And going by their claim that 700 whales are needed to break even, they haven't made a profit for the past 20 years!

You say the Sea Shepherd are fighting for a "noble cause".

Fail.
Paul Watson paid himself a salary of $91,500 in 2007. That's 3 times more than his fellow HS graduates and nearly double the average for a ship's captain - and Paul Watson isn't even a qualified ship's captain! Money taken from the hands of children, who exactly is exploiting whales for profit?

You say they have limited resources.

Fail.
Well, technically they are (no-one has unlimited resources). But they raked in nearly $3.5m in 07. This year they just received over $700,000 from the Dutch postcode lottery and a multi-year deal for another $3.5m. So in other words, the Sea Shepherd makes more money than the Japanese whalers!

You downplay the use of butyric acid; "The Buteric acid they throw is nothing but a big stink bomb"

Fail.
I've shown it can cause blindness, as well as all sorts of health problems, not to mention pieces of broken glass flying around and the fact that it is an environmental hazard.

You say they don't target people; "...the only thing they do is target the working decks of the ship."

Fail.
Besides the fact that they can't even see where they're throwing from their inflatables, here's some photographic evidence of them throwing bottles directly at people. I can post some video of them firing rockets at the ship, too if you like.

gpandsea-img34.jpg

gpandsea-img35.jpg

gpandsea-img36.jpg

In one breath you say the treaty should be ignored because that's essentially what the Sea Shepherd is doing, and then turn around and defend it; "it was a mutually agreed upon international treaty".

Fail.
If it is a mutually agreed upon international treaty then you have no claim to attack the Japanese working within that treaty, you can't have it both ways.

You continue to make ridiculous statements like this; "...there have been repeated attempts at working within the system to change Japan's whaling policy - they just ignore the rest of the world and do what they please."

Fail.
1. Working within what system, the IWC? They have reaffirmed their commitment to resuming commercial whaling in the future.
2. As for "ignoring the rest of the world". See point one. The rest of the world does not equal a handful of western countries. Member nations are fairly evenly split, but they did vote for the resumption of whaling so, in effect the rest of the world support Japan. Anti-whalers are the minority.
3. Does the US listen to the rest of the world before waging war?

You dismissed the fact that shipping kills more than 20 times the number of whales than all whaling activities combined, but then in another thread use the pollution created from shipping to justify someone's right to pollute... "Leave my cars alone and go after shipping."

Fail.
If you want to stop pollution: Go after shipping.
Fair enough.
If you want to save [especially endangered] whales: Go after shipping.
Seems reasonable, right?

That's it for now.

Last edited:
Boy, hansvonaxion, I wish I had your kind of time on my hands :p

lol, I'm on holidays, so yeah I have too much time on my hands.
:p

I learn a lot from these discussions and that's never a bad thing.

Btw, the Sea shepherd conservation society is always maintaining that the ICR is breaking Australian law in Antarctica. Does Australia actually hold sovereignty over parts of Antarctica or do it's laws only apply to Australian nationals?

I found out that even though Australia claims territory, they have signed the Antarctica Treaty, which freezes all territorial claims and doesn't essentially recognise existing claims - it's the same treaty that states there can be no military action (except for personnel carrying out scientific research) - Japan has also signed that treaty (they have no territorial claim). So when Australia signed, they essentially gave up their right to create an EEZ. That's my interpretation anyway.

As for the law, each country decides how to apply law there, but given that access is pretty limited it isn't much of an issue. The US has Marshals there to uphold US law.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/history/antarctica/index.html

As for what I said about the Japanese not making money from whaling, I'll admit that the only evidence I have to support it is statements from Paul Watson, who is an admitted liar, so in all honesty I can't say whether or not they make any money from their current research activities.

Two quotes from Paul Watson...

?The nature of the mass media today is such that the truth is irrelevant. What is true and what is right to the general public is what is defined as true and right by the mass media. Ronald Reagan understood that the facts are not relevant. The media reported what he said as fact. Follow-up investigation was ?old news.? A headline comment on Monday?s newspaper far outweighs the revelation of inaccuracy revealed in a small box inside the paper on Tuesday or Wednesday.?

?If you do not know an answer, a fact, or a statistic, then simply follow the example of an American President and do as Ronald Reagan did?make it up on the spot and deliver the information confidently and without hesitation.?

BlindIO said:
You are arguing about what is legal.
I'm arguing about what I think is right.

According to Watson, the media determines what you think is right.

Last edited:
Watching Ep 9 right now. These guys crack me up. "ZOMG prop fowling us is uncalled for and is sooooo unsafe!!!! PROP FOUL DEM!!"

Hansvonaxion has now convinced me that whaling isn't so bad. Death to whales! :unsure:

Last edited:
lol, I'm on holidays, so yeah I have too much time on my hands.
:p

I learn a lot from these discussions and that's never a bad thing.
I agree on that. What you should try to focus on however is to learn a bit of politeness. :p

Whale meat is good stuff (and cheap) so a poor student like me can afford a nice beef dinner every now and then. It's also an excellent meat for BBQ.

Anyways, I think there might be a nice candidates for the Darwin Award aboard the Steve Irwin. I mean what have they actually achieved, besides failing (to our amusement) and putting themselves and the japanese whalers in danger?

Edit; New episode out...

Last edited:
What a crock of shit.

Paul Watson on the sabotage of legal whaling ships: "... I'd give them a medal. It's always better when these things are taken care of by citizens in their own country and the Norwegians who are battling the whalers are like the resistance fighters who once took on the Nazi's in Norway.."

What a crock of shit.

Paul Watson on the sabotage of legal whaling ships: "... I'd give them a medal. It's always better when these things are taken care of by citizens in their own country and the Norwegians who are battling the whalers are like the resistance fighters who once took on the Nazi's in Norway.."

Of course, the inevitable Nazi comparison.

My dad did that once with Obama. I facepalmed so hard I nearly hurt myself.

Yes, blood! Can't wait the next episode with harpoons and more blood spilling! Let's see those tears and outrage when Willy meets the blades.

Got to love the whiny eco-pussies thinking too much of themselves and their great captain who looks like a whale. Especially as he can't seem to breath or stand with his mouth shut, making him look even more of an idiot. In his defense, it seems that nobody on the bridge can do that.

Oh, and hansvonaxion rocks.

What you should try to focus on however is to learn a bit of politeness. :p

:p Yeah, it's hard to convey tone in writing. And Australians (Brits too) give more shit to people they like than those they don't, it's just our way. I think Blind and I have more in common than you or he might imagine.

Anyway, I found myself at some Whale Wars related forum and man, that was some funny shit! But from there I got a link to a really good doco on the issue, I recommend it (better than reading through stacks of websites).

A Greener Shade of Whale

Part 7 has some really interesting stuff, wish I could quote video and I wish I knew about it earlier, would have saved me from a lot of typing!

As for the last episode of Whale Wars, it really calls into question the Sea Shepherd's effectiveness ever since they began. It's like until now the Japanese just moved on and continued elsewhere, now they don't even bother moving. Of course it's edited to create drama and a storyline so who knows exactly how it all went down. I just wonder if this will help their fundraising efforts.

Last edited: