Backing up data (noob)

Ice_warmer

Ok so i need to backup(on DVDs) for someone some important data, very prolonged storage, problem is to be 100% sure. So then, should i get the latest edition of Nero, or is there a better program ? Because some time ago i burned some dvds and when it started checking the dvd got loads of errors, it could have been from the HDD.

And now the big question, i remember some of my early years CDs most of the files are corrupt or the CDs are unreadable now (some are scratched some are almost new), does this has anything to do with the CD maker ? Are there diffrences between makes ? Now i ussualy buy TRAXADA or VERBATIM.

Because some time ago i burned some dvds and when it started checking the dvd got loads of errors, it could have been from the HDD.

If you were able to burn the files it's rather unlikely that they are damaged on your hdd.

When you burn sensible data to dvd or cd I'd recommend using high quality blanks and burning at a rather low speed. Also burn the same things on several discs for multiple redundancy and store them in a dark and dry location without extreme temperatures.

How many years is "very prolonged storage" anyway?

Ok so i need to backup(on DVDs) for someone some important data, very prolonged storage, problem is to be 100% sure.

Wouldn't it be safer to back up to HDD or flash then?

CD82 since a large portion of the data are photos ... very, though i belive recopying them in a few years is reasnoble.

klankymen, since we're takling about data in excess of 100 GB, flash would be stupidly expensive, but i was thinking of putting a hard drive in the computer and plug only when needed, though it would be quite tricky, and if your talking about an external drive, it takes ages to copy that amount of data, i think it has something to do with the comp beeing old, so slow USBs.

CD82 since a large portion of the data are photos ... very, though i belive recopying them in a few years is reasnoble.

In that case... use dvds and check them every now and then. They should be good for a couple of years when stored properly. I have a couple of dvds that must be around six to eight years old and are still working, but on the other hand I have seen quite a few failing long before that.

klankymen, since we're takling about data in excess of 100 GB, flash would be stupidly expensive, but i was thinking of putting a hard drive in the computer and plug only when needed, though it would be quite tricky, and if your talking about an external drive, it takes ages to copy that amount of data, i think it has something to do with the comp beeing old, so slow USBs.

That would indicate that the comp only has USB1.1 or something like that (ie it's over 7 or 8 years old). I copied from one USB hard drive to another, using my pc which is like 3 years old, and it took like 4 hours for 300GB. certainly a lot faster than burning 60 dvds.

If reliable long term storage is your goal then I'd use a hard drive. The recordable dye in DVDs WILL eventually degrade. It's just a matter of when.