Your Camera Equipment

Last edited:
Because the companies sell enough of them that the price makes sense. Dropping the price by 50% would not likely increase sales by 100% to make up for it, as wired remotes are a low-volume item.
As wired remotes are not a big seller, why inflate the prices so absurdly? They're not going to be a huge money-maker no matter how you price them.

I'm guessing it probably costs Nikon less than $15 for all the costs involved in actually manufacturing and selling these things. Shoot, even if it's two or three times that cost, no supply-and-demand formula can make up for selling them at $150.

Last edited:
Yeah, but why is a simple wired remote 100+? The thing has 2 functions only.

Have you ever heard of a car maker called BMW? They made something called the 1-series some time ago.

Ah, didn't realize the 700 dropped Type-II support, sorry. :(
I looked everywhere, but seemingly there is no CF type-I to SD adaptor available. I found one discontinued one, but the SD card only went half-in, so it wouldn't have fitted into the D700 anyway. Bad luck I guess, but it was worth a try. Thanks anyway! ;)

EDIT: Everybody who finds me a Type-I CD to SD adaptor where the SD card doesn't stick out get's a +rep (guaranteed) and a kiss (voluntary).

Last edited:
Now, I've just sold my E-410. Tomorrow I will get my new E-520 (my brother's, he is moving up to an E-30), and I'm only payng the NOK 1700 ($280) I'm getting for my E-410 for it. Really looking forward to an image stabilized housing as well as a proper hand grip. The E-4x0 series are a bit tiresome to use with big lenses.

Neat, the E-520 also give you the option of using wireless flash, which is nice. :)

In addition to this whole remote trigger thing:
I'm using a normal all-in-one remote for tvs, dvd-players and stuff.
Costs probably around 5$/?/?.
Just had to find out the code, and it works just fine on my D80.

So I got a new job with some perks. Someone tell me, apart from the obvious megapixel advantage, just how good is a D3x over a D3?

Sure, Alok, rub it in :p

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to give you an answer based on first-hand experience ;)

Assuming you're still shooting motorsports, I don't think you'll appreciate that the D3x has half the frame-rate of the D3. Like BCS said, more resolution, less everything else.

I guess if you wanted too look at it this way, you get the FX advantage but can drop it down to DX mode and get all the DX advantages with a pretty decent resolution and FPS. I know most of what you post here is motorsports but don't you do a fair bit of studio work? I could see the D3X being nicer for those situations.

I'd really struggle to find reasons to pick one over the other, and as you already have a D3 there's not a huge reason to upgrade (unless it's free).

More resolution, pretty much worse everywhere else. Slower, noisier, etc. I'd rather have a D3, frankly.

Yea, I heard similar stories..

Sure, Alok, rub it in :p

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to give you an answer based on first-hand experience ;)

Assuming you're still shooting motorsports, I don't think you'll appreciate that the D3x has half the frame-rate of the D3. Like BCS said, more resolution, less everything else.

I think I'll just stick with the D3 then, and invest in that superwide 14mm FX Nikkor

I guess if you wanted too look at it this way, you get the FX advantage but can drop it down to DX mode and get all the DX advantages with a pretty decent resolution and FPS.
Except that DX limits you to 5MP, which seems pretty silly on a 25MP camera. I think it would be altogether silly to buy an FX body like a D3 or D3x and use it as a DX.

Except that DX limits you to 5MP, which seems pretty silly on a 25MP camera. I think it would be altogether silly to buy an FX body like a D3 or D3x and use it as a DX.
The D3X limits to 10.5 megapixels in DX mode due to the higher resolution sensor. :)

Last edited:
Oh. My bad. Still, that's only 40% and you'll be getting a lot more from 10mp on a D3 than you will cropping the D3x at 10mp.

It's more like you have a D90 built in than anything else. Just looking for reasons in favor of the D3x.