Autoblog: Acura NSX replacement will have reduced price and performance

A7XFan22

Sauce

07-advanced-sports-car-concept.jpg

Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept

Late last year, Honda confirmed that it had halted development on the Acura NSX project as we had come to know it. While we're still mourning the loss of the promised front-mounted 560-horsepower V10 powerplant and torque-vectoring AWD setup, the boys at Car and Driver are reporting that the NSX may yet appear in some other form entirely.

Quoting John Watts, Acura's senior manager of product development, C&D says the NSX revival may still be in the works, just on a somewhat lower performance plateau. Says Watts, "For it to be fully effective [as a halo vehicle for the brand], it couldn't be too far removed" from Acura's other products.

As the original Acura NSX proved, Honda is capable of amazing things when it comes to performance-minded automobiles. As cool as another technological Tour de Force would be, the idea of a mid-level sportscar from Acura is certainly an intriguing prospect in its own right and would be something much more affordable for the average working stiff.
EDIT: After looking through the Car and Driver article...

That?s bad news for those who got attached to the concept of a Honda-built exotic sports car, good news for Nissan, whose GT-R won?t be facing a Honda-built rival any time soon. We are intrigued, however, by what kind of sports car Honda can build in the $50K?$60K range.

Last edited:
They also said that they would be focusing on hybrids and no RWD cars. So yeah, it's correct to say that the replacement will have reduced performance

as long its not fail wheel drive i approve

$50-60k for a FWD (or transverse mounted AWD) is ludicrous.

I don't get it...I loved Honda and Toyota in the 90s...what happened...

Toyota became too big and became the Japanese GM. Honda has a spotty record for fun sports cars, they will probably make another S car in the next decade. There is hope.

If they make a NSX hybrid, I will hang myself.