How did you pop your Top Gear cherry?

I think the first time I saw Top Gear was when my friend showed me a youtube clip of Jeremy testing cars in the crosswind of a jet. I laughed so hard and ended up tracking down some episodes. The first full one I recall watching was Ep 1 of Series 11.

Reactions: LP
The Vietnam special. Caught it on Dave through TVCatchup (back in the days when you could access it via the Tor network). Been a fan ever since. :)
That young?

How far are you into Top Gear now, ma'am? (It's hard to find people addicted as late as me, so just surprised)

I was touched inappropriately by Chris Goffey as a 12 year old.......

Moved to the UK in 2004, friends far away no social life, no cable TV. End of 2004/beginning 2005, flicking the 4(!) available channels i found Jeremy driving a Land Rover Disco up a mountain. I think it was a repeat, but actually on BBC2. From then on the boys brightened up a shitty period in my life, and within a few eps James was providing his own little ray of sunshine to me ;)
Because i went on about the show so much, my friends back in Oz started watching it on SBS & are now hooked too :devil:
I was introduced to FG by the inestimable fayzalmoonbeam, after seeing some of her brilliant vids on YouTube (go watch them!). And i bow every day to their supreme hitechnesses TechZ and Viper007bond, for their efforts! :bow:
So my friends are still far away (even the ones in the UK) and i still have no life but at least there's TG & FG :D

So my friends are still far away (even the ones in the UK) and i still have no life but at least there's TG & FG :D

Same here, I have no life, I?m a total geek :lol:
I stay at home watching TG instead of hanging out with friends (not that I?ve got too many) or getting a BF (I?m terrible at relationships)

I believe that I found out about TG when a story on Hammond's crash appeared on Digg years ago, just started watching from the beginning last year and been addicted ever since.

That young?

How far are you into Top Gear now, ma'am? (It's hard to find people addicted as late as me, so just surprised)
I'm not entirely linear in my viewing habits so I watch 'em as I find 'em.

And it's never too late too start watching Top Gear as far as I'm concerned. :)

I started off with the version on the Discovery Channel, and loved it. I forgot about it until I saw the Sir Community's BF2 version of Range Rover vs. Challenger tank (If you haven't seen it, you should watch it here). I recognized Jeremy's voice and looked up the Top Gear website. I soaked up all the clips there (when it wasn't region restricted) and on Youtube. And actually, I found out about this site some time ago, but could only get the Polar Special and 1x01 downloaded. I didn't ever watch a whole episode other than those until last fall.

A cut up US'd version on late night TV I think on Discovery or the learning channel a bunch of years ago. Didn't quite know what to make of Top Gear since they had edited all the funny out of it when I first saw it. Then a friend hooked me up with a couple DVD rips and said "You have got to see this!" I loaded up the first one and I couldn't stop til I had watched three complete seasons.. Thank you to Mike-in-Orange for those first DVD rips.. :)

And hooked badly enough that I paid dearly for the "Cow on Camaro" shirt and a couple others.. Wear them proudly even though no one here really gets its..

I blame Clegko. We hang out in an IRC related to another forum, one day he linked me to one of the cheap car challenges and I was hooked. Now I have gone back and got series 1-13 downloaded and loved every minute of it, save for the times in Season 1 that didnt involves Jezza or Hammo.

Found out about it last summer. Didn't really search it out, but saw it on BBC America after watching some Doctor who, and it was conveniently the episode with David Tennant in it, so I watched, and then it was followed by the Range Rover vs Tank bit, and I was hooked.

There was a time over the winter when I was downloading and watching an average of 3 episodes a night in order to "catch up".

My friend Jen, username invisiblecake on here, introduced me to Top Gear. I actually didn't particularly care before about cars much but I really enjoy the format of the show, and of course Jeremy, Richard, and James are all lovable goofballs. I'm trying to remember the first episode she showed me but to be quite honest, I've forgotten. We definitely went through all the roadtrip specials first though, those are my favorite <3.

I think it was probably the Botswana episode, or the American Road Trip one first. And maybe the BL challenge one in there near the beginning?

I started off with the version on the Discovery Channel, and loved it.
When is it ever on the Discovery Channel? I know they have it on DC in Europe, but not in the US.

And it's never too late too start watching Top Gear as far as I'm concerned. :)
No truer statement has been said!

Last edited:
It used to air on Discovery in 2005. Two years later, it went to BBC America.

Saw the EVO vs. Lambo clip posted over at broadbandreports.com near the end of 2004. Downloaded all the clips I could find, but wanted full episodes, which led me to this site and access to Hokie's insanely awesome FTP :)

Last edited:
'02 OTG clips from Kazaa Lite, NTG on youtube later

Last edited:
My first time was when my Doctor-Who-obsessed best friend was like "so there's this British show about, like, cars, and such, and Billie Piper was on it! *fangirl squee*"

That's when I discovered the glory of Top Gear.

I'm a relative newcomer...as of last year. I found "Top Gear" on TV one afternoon right after I got shiny-happy-digital-cable-with-a-ton-of-channels-I've-never-heard-of. One of which was BBC America, which was never too common for Nowhere, TX, cable to carry. I think it was a marathon day...I saw one episode, then another, then another...I mean, it was a show with funny guys and awesome cars, and it was gorgeous to look at!

So, I'm hooked.