Monterey 2009: 2011 Infiniti M makes virtual reveal in Pebble

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
So basically a render? but the official render from Infiniti.

I think the new aggressive lines are brilliant, it makes it much more interesting than most other sedans on the road. The interior looks much better with that slightly updated interface and those wood inlays. I'm looking forward to the official pictures later in the year. :cool:

On another note, they still have the V6 and V8 models. I wonder if and when they're going to introduce a forced-induction Infiniti engine, since the world continues to freak out about MPG. :dunno:

Monterey 2009: 2011 Infiniti M makes virtual reveal in Pebble

Source: Autoblog

If you distill Monterey's week-long extravaganza into a single word, it's "luxury." Sybaritic pleasures are the order du jour in and around Pebble, so Infiniti's decision to reveal the 2011 M on the Monterey Peninsula is a clear indication of the brand's interminable pursuit of recognition and respect in the world of up-market automobiles.

Infiniti is well aware that becoming a major player in the segment doesn't begin and end with creating a dynamically engaging and aesthetically pleasing entry-level luxury sedan and coupe. It's got to go big ? or at least bigger ? filling a niche that falls somewhere between the BMW 5 Series/Mercedes-Benz E-Class and 7 Series/S-Class.

Taking all the right cues from the Essence concept, the all-new M successfully distills the organic shapes and angular creases of its conceptual forbearer into a traditional sports sedan shape. The front fascia's engorged maw blends well with the aggressive headlamps and curvaceous lower valence, and while things are somewhat subdued in profile, the real action starts with the shapely swage line beginning in the middle of the rear door and sweeping back into the Jaguar-esque tail lamps and pinched rump. The exterior's sinuous lines carry over to the inside, with a duo of convex interior compartments accentuated by a smattering of wood and aluminum. There's also some new technology, including a unique take on the blind spot intervention system that actually helps the driver back into his original lane if another car is detected alongside.

We're hoping to snag more details when we take a look at Infiniti's "virtual M" tonight, where the automaker is employing a bespoke "video mapping" system to display the M's details and colors onto a full-scale model of the sedan. Infiniti's third-generation flagship is set to go on sale in 32 markets in the spring of 2010 and will be available in either V6 M37 trim or a 400-hp V8-powered M56 variant. Full details in the press release below the fold.

1-2011-infiniti-m.jpg

2-2011-infiniti-m.jpg

3-2011-infiniti-m.jpg

4-2011-infiniti-m.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

2011 Infiniti M Makes Virtual Debut at Concours d'Elegance

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (Aug. 14, 2009) ? Infiniti today provided an advanced look at the all-new 2011 Infiniti M performance luxury sedan at the 59th Annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. This is the third generation of Infiniti's popular M and the first to be sold across all of Infiniti's 32 markets around the world, including Western Europe.

Like the current Infiniti M, the next-generation design will be offered with V8 and V6 engines. The 2011 M models will be designated the Infiniti M56 and Infiniti M37 respectively, reflecting their more powerful, larger displacement engines. The M56 V8 is expected to offer more than 400 horsepower. For Western Europe, the M56 will be replaced by a V6 performance diesel.

The 2011 Infiniti M also features a completely redesigned body, with authentic sports sedan proportions and evocative new styling with a low front end and deeply sculpted fenders inspired by the Infiniti Essence concept car. The new M interior promises to be pure Infiniti, highlighted by the use of innovative materials, an advanced climate control system, superior audio and an enhanced quality feel. Despite improved performance from the new engine lineup, fuel consumption will be reduced.

In addition, the 2011 M will continue Infiniti's technology innovation leadership with a blind spot intervention system. This industry-first system is designed to help alert the driver if another vehicle is detected in an adjacent lane during an intended lane change, and then help assist the driver in returning the vehicle toward the center of the original lane of travel.

The 2011 Infiniti M, which is scheduled to go on sale across the world starting from spring 2010, was revealed through a unique "video mapping" process ? in which a "virtual M" was created on a 3D form. It is the world's first "virtual only" (no physical vehicle) automotive application of this cutting-edge technology. The 2011 Infiniti M will make its official public debut later this year.

I do not know what the equivalent to "FUCK!" is in Japanese, but the designers at Lexus and Acura are probably exclaiming that right now.

I was never one for Infiniti, but...wow. :blink:

I do not know what the equivalent to "FUCK!" is in Japanese, but the designers at Lexus and Acura are probably exclaiming that right now.

Not exactly 'fuck' but the japanese expression for 'oh shit' is 'kuso!'

The question is whether or not it's better than the Genesis.

Woah. I actually really like that!

The question is whether or not it's better than the Genesis.

First you should define what you mean by 'better'

1. more powerful? - check, the 5.6L V8 is already quoted as more than 400 hp

2. faster? - that remains to be seen until official road tests are performed

3. interior fit n finish? - while the Genesis has a nice interior its nice for a Hyundai but the Infiniti G35/37 and M series interiors are already higher quality, I imagine the new M will be just as nice

4. gadgets - hard to say until specs sheet comes out but probably as good if not better than the Genesis

5. Looks - the Genesis is nice looking but derivative and anonymous, and the current Infiniti lineup has evolved their signature look, which I like, many don't, so that's subjective

6. Price - the current 2009 M45 already starts at $52K which is about $10K than the 4.6L V8 Genesis so you have to decide how this price difference factors into 'better'.

7. Reliability/warranty - i'm not sure about the reliability of the Infiniti M cars but a neighbor of mine has an M35 which is constantly in the shop at least once a month (going by the number of times I see an Inifiniti dealer loaner car parked in his spot for several days at a time.), the Hyundai warranty is still untouchable. Of course this is an all new M, so past reliability records may be irrelevant.

Go over all those factors and you can probably answer your own question which is 'better'.

Looks squishy.

Looks squishy.

I can see what youre saying, but its most likely the lighting of the render to accentuate the curviness.

A lot of ppl say the same thing about the curvier G35/37 models but in person they're pretty solid looking and more attractive cars than the previous gen and not that blobby looking.

First you should define what you mean by 'better'

1. more powerful? - check, the 5.6L V8 is already quoted as more than 400 hp

2. faster? - that remains to be seen until official road tests are performed

3. interior fit n finish? - while the Genesis has a nice interior its nice for a Hyundai but the Infiniti G35/37 and M series interiors are already higher quality, I imagine the new M will be just as nice

4. gadgets - hard to say until specs sheet comes out but probably as good if not better than the Genesis

5. Looks - the Genesis is nice looking but derivative and anonymous, and the current Infiniti lineup has evolved their signature look, which I like, many don't, so that's subjective

6. Price - the current 2009 M45 already starts at $52K which is about $10K than the 4.6L V8 Genesis so you have to decide how this price difference factors into 'better'.

7. Reliability/warranty - i'm not sure about the reliability of the Infiniti M cars but a neighbor of mine has an M35 which is constantly in the shop at least once a month (going by the number of times I see an Inifiniti dealer loaner car parked in his spot for several days at a time.), the Hyundai warranty is still untouchable. Of course this is an all new M, so past reliability records may be irrelevant.

Go over all those factors and you can probably answer your own question which is 'better'.

I meant better in a general sense of whether or not it's going to make an impact on the (already well established) market. The last Infiniti M was pretty cool but it didn't take long to fall into obscurity.

I meant better in a general sense of whether or not it's going to make an impact on the (already well established) market. The last Infiniti M was pretty cool but it didn't take long to fall into obscurity.

So you don't mean 'better car' but 'better seller'?

That's difficult to forsee, the G series has a really good presence in the 3 series segment market, but the current M in the 5 series/E class segment, not so much. I'd imagine sales will be similar unless they really up the marketing.

Looks cool to me. Too bad Infiniti's not on sale in Europe. At least, not in Portugal. It would be one hell of a rival to boring Lexus.

It looks ok, better than boring Lexus, but for me it looks like Korean car with more curves.

Looks cool to me. Too bad Infiniti's not on sale in Europe. At least, not in Portugal. It would be one hell of a rival to boring Lexus.

http://www.infiniti.eu/

In late 2008 Infiniti came to Europe, so probably it will be on sale in Portugal soon.

This is a styling home run compared to anything from Lexus or Acura these days, Infinity never really held my attention because of their hideous SUVs, but it seems as Lexus and Acura slip further and further down the ugly/boring slide, Infiniti's cars are getting better and better

Good god that is one sexy beast. I bet the noise on the Sport model will be fantastic. FINALLY Nissan shove the 5.6L under a saloon's bonnet. :D

This is a styling home run compared to anything from Lexus or Acura these days, Infinity never really held my attention because of their hideous SUVs, but it seems as Lexus and Acura slip further and further down the ugly/boring slide, Infiniti's cars are getting better and better

Which SUVs are you referring to? The boxy rebadged Nissans or the curvier FX series, which i think are quite nice.

I've always liked infinitis better than acuras or lexi, so pretty nice I'd say.

Which SUVs are you referring to? The boxy rebadged Nissans or the curvier FX series, which i think are quite nice.

all of em :p

though I may be being a bit unfair, I think the Porsche Cayenne has forever made me biased against SUVs that are styled after cars

It looks organic.
I dislike organic.
It looks small.
The rear = E350, but organic.
The front = G35, but organic.

I like.

I can't wait to see these running around here. And then plummet in value so I can pick one up for pennies on the dollar :mrgreen: