Motherboard needed

If you bring up task manager, does it show 2 or 4 cores? If it shows 4 cores then you're fine. Usually if you're running a CPU that's not supported by the bios the comp won't boot up at all. However, the Q9650 is a non-native quad core, it's built by putting two Wolfdale (E8500) dies on a single package. So if the bios supports Wolfdale but not Yorkfield, it would run with just 2 cores.

What does it say in the cmos bios set up?
I'm surprised the board let you get to windows at all. Every time I've upgraded a processor the machine refused to budge until I went in the set up settings and made sure all the values were correct. I've upgraded several celeron processors to P3s, P4s. One P4 to a dual core.
Turn the pc on, wait for the beep (post) then press delete. That brings up the set up page in the bios for most motherboards. Poke around the settings you see for the cpu. Don't change anything if you don't know what you're doing, a good board will sort it out for you.
CPU Z is a very good program but you should be wary of any info you get about your motherboard and all it's attached hardware from a program running in Windows. Always go by the values you see in the board's set up page or from a hardware diagnostic program that will run in dos off a floppy or cd. "Unknown device" is a very common issue and could be caused by something a simple as a usb cable plugged in to your board that's not attached to anything at the moment. My cables for my camera and mp3 player do this.
If I'd continued to believe the temperature readings I was getting for my cpu from about half a dozen windows programs, my prescott processor would have melted down my board. I finally took the damn thing out, reapplied the thermal paste which finally solved the problem. If I'd believed all those windows programs I'd be out of a machine. You should see some of the goofy readings I get for my ram.

I have 4 Cores showing in Task Manager. Just not Device Manager. I have noticed performance gains in certain games i've tried so far, like Crysis Warhead in DX10 (Could never do it with the Dual Core).

I checked the BIOS Message a few times. I checked the Tempurature, it's all fine. Something weird i did get though when starting was a message saying "Chassis Intruded" or something similar. A restart fixed that though.

I did try the Q9650 in my old Motherboard when i got it. It was running very ot though, and kept cutting off the power to my PC, i can only assume it's a self preservation thing. After putting in the Dual, it was overheating, but Thermal Paste fixed that.

About the USB thing. I have 2 USB things plugged in at the mo, my Keyboard and Mouse.

If task manager shows 4 cores then you're probably fine. If you're worried, download OCCT and run the CPU stress test, if all 4 cores are loaded then you're fine. Also, did you install the chipset driver that came with the mobo?

I belive i did install the Chipset. Took it's time. HAd to install some other stuff to get the Ethernet port going, aswell as some USB things i think.

I have 4 Cores showing in Task Manager. Just not Device Manager. I have noticed performance gains in certain games i've tried so far, like Crysis Warhead in DX10 (Could never do it with the Dual Core).

I checked the BIOS Message a few times. I checked the Tempurature, it's all fine. Something weird i did get though when starting was a message saying "Chassis Intruded" or something similar. A restart fixed that though.

I did try the Q9650 in my old Motherboard when i got it. It was running very ot though, and kept cutting off the power to my PC, i can only assume it's a self preservation thing. After putting in the Dual, it was overheating, but Thermal Paste fixed that.

About the USB thing. I have 2 USB things plugged in at the mo, my Keyboard and Mouse.

" Chassis intruder" means your pc's case is open. A lot of boards will actually let you set an audible alarm for that. Mine does though I don't have it hooked up.
Sounds like you could use some fans. I've got 5. Huge heat sink fan, four case fans of various size. You can hear my pc from 30 feet away.
Check out the size of this thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106125
Yeah, the pc shuts off if the processor gets too hot or your power supply is overloaded or simply ready to die.
Sounds like you're up and running with your new processor. Enjoy your faster games. :)

Last edited:
If your case is big enough for a tower type CPU cooler, go with the Xigmatek S1283V or the Sycthe Mugen 2. Both are huge but they cool very well.